Tripoli university

Anybody have any news about how Tripoli Uni is progressing.  My daughters wish to start October 2013 studying medicine, and geography/meteorology (if meteorology is available to study there).

I know it's not the best uni in the world but we are moving to Libya soon so wish to be positive.

I study Computer Engineering there and it's not too bad (considering the country and circumstances).
However seems to be no security or discipline at the med school, guys that don't study there are freely allowed to go in and harass girls all they want.
Also do your daughters speak Arabic? They need to if they're enrolling there.

meenameena wrote:

Anybody have any news about how Tripoli Uni is progressing.  My daughters wish to start October 2013 studying medicine, and geography/meteorology (if meteorology is available to study there).

I know it's not the best uni in the world but we are moving to Libya soon so wish to be positive.

At the moment, you would be better advised to enroll your children in some other university outside Libya. If finances are an issue, you will want to look into financial aid programs offered. Which country are you based out of, I can probably send you some links of which to apply to.

I'm staying in Tripoli for about 3 years now. My husband is Libyan and has nieces studying medicine in Tripoli. One thing they were always telling us, if they only have resources they will move out of the country and study elsewhere. They said they feel time spent in medical degrees in Tripoli are a waist of time. There's not much resources either to expand knowledge. It will take long time before they can move forward. But there are some relatives saying that there are Universities in Benghazi which are doing fine in Medicine.

@ Reyhana  I have a friend who goes to LIMU in Benghazi.  I have personally visited the campus before the Feb 17 Revolution and while small (compared to the US campuses) it seemed well equipped and under control at the time.  It is private though.  Here's the website. Libyan International Medical University

We were constructing a couple of faculties  in Tripoli University before the revolution  , although the jobsites  not yet started but the univesity is full with students and their teachers and it seems quite busy.
i have no idea for the educational quality but it seems serious university..
regards
winafrica.

hi there
          i just want to know if i can continue my study again after 10 years of my graduation from tripoly university in histotechnology ,i got married after my graduation and didnt worked at all in this feild .Now i want to start my higher studies in this feild but not sure if they accept me as a student eligible for masters programm and also wd like to know which university is better and offer such study programs ...thnks

Update:
Two students just got stabbed/slashed in the Engineering college, Tripoli University.
Neither are dead, the offenders are no where to be found, and the security force in the University is useless.
I'd stay out of Tripoli university if I were you.

when was this?

Libyan RocknRoll wrote:

Update:
Two students just got stabbed/slashed in the Engineering college, Tripoli University.
Neither are dead, the offenders are no where to be found, and the security force in the University is useless.

A few days ago.

Libyan RocknRoll wrote:

Update:

In this case, all schools in the USA should be avoided due to the gun shooting accruing from time to time.

It's a regular thing, that happens on regular basis, even happened
to me a couple years ago, I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist.
And I don't appreciate your optimism and unrelated comparisons.
With all due respect.. This COULD happen to you or your children, I was just being helpful in suggesting to people that are just enrolling in university to enroll in a safer place.. like one of the private colleges, or abroad.

Libyan RocknRoll wrote:

It's a regular thing, that happens on regular basis, even happened
to me a couple years ago, I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist.
And I don't appreciate your optimism and unrelated comparisons.
With all due respect.. This COULD happen to you or your children, I was just being helpful in suggesting to people that are just enrolling in university to enroll in a safer place.. like one of the private colleges, or abroad.

Being financially able to enroll abroad does not need your advice or suggestion, as you know the majority of Libyan people can not afford that. That leaves us the other option of going to a private college that is not recognized by the ministry of education so when you graduate u might end up having your certificate soaked in water and drinking.
So here we need to be realistic and agree that Tripoli Uni is the best option for the majority and the temporary security situation shall be dealt with shortly and also these incidents can happen anywhere in the world.
I had friends stabbed and attacked in Universities in the UK.

I can see this argument is going nowhere.
I've delivered my point, and everyone can make up their own views.

Peace.

Thanks everybody for all your advice only just found time to read the replies.  We are still set to move in summer but delayed kids starting uni until 2014.  We are actually a Libyan/British family and are planning to live for good in Libya (God willing)and we have everything up and running e.g home to go to work e.t.c so no problems.  We are actually moving there to keep the family together as if we stay here in Manchester the children will have to move out in order to study in different uni's.  Hopefully security will improve over time and Libya will go from strength to strength.

mancunian wrote:
Libyan RocknRoll wrote:

Update:

In this case, all schools in the USA should be avoided due to the gun shooting accruing from time to time.

The US is a large country with a population of 300 million and a very efficient and responsive law enforcement system, while Libya is a small country with a population of 6 million and - at this point in time - virtually nonexistent security services.

Based on those facts trying to draw a comparisons between the security situation in Libya and school shootings in the US - which are in fact quite rare - seems to me to be slightly naive.

Well lets see number wise, in 2012 414 murders were recorded in New York which is a (record low), now in Libya giving ALL THE TROUBLES only ~500 murders were recorded however it is getting better every day. So when you look at numbers you see the real deal. However US education is far better than Libya, but I hope you got my point on the security issue which every one keep talking about like e.g.Chavez's Venezuela has ~13,000 homicides a year in a country with a population of 29 millions, if this will apply to Libya we would get ~3000, and yet no one is keep talking about it all the time when they mention that country....

Thebigtuna wrote:
mancunian wrote:
Libyan RocknRoll wrote:

Update:

The US is a large country with a population of 300 million and a very efficient and responsive law enforcement system, while Libya is a small country with a population of 6 million and - at this point in time - virtually nonexistent security services.

Based on those facts trying to draw a comparisons between the security situation in Libya and school shootings in the US - which are in fact quite rare - seems to me to be slightly naive.

It is slightly naive not getting the total picture here. I used USA as an example to argue that not a single or a couple individual incidents can be a reflection for a bad security situation.

I do not see a point comparing Libya with us or uk. First of all there isn't any solid authority in the country that means they can stop you with their guns and do whatever they want. Secondly since whole the population is stuck in Tripoli you have to face awful traffic if you travel alot. There is no financial regulation, law, or any kind of proper control. In other words, welcome to the jungle!

Yes, the schools are up and running.  My boss is the Head of the Teacher Education department.  It is slowly coming back to life.  I have recently been to the campus and it seem to me excited.

[Moderated: Off topic]

Is there any uni or college where English
is used to teach?

Yes, Tripoli University has a college called Faculty of Education where they teach Libyan teachers in English.

Do they use ENGLISH to Teach Engineering STUDENTS?