Washers and Dryers in HCMC

I've notices a lot of advertisements for good apartments/condos in HCMC have modern washing machines, but no dryers.

I take it most people just hang up their clothes to dry? If so, doesn't it take a long time given the humidity?

Does anyone on the forum send their laundry out to be cleaned? If so, how much would a standard load cost?

Cheers,

Roger
I've notices a lot of advertisements for good apartments/condos in HCMC have modern washing machines, but no dryers.

I take it most people just hang up their clothes to dry? If so, doesn't it take a long time given the humidity?

Does anyone on the forum send their laundry out to be cleaned? If so, how much would a standard load cost?

Cheers,

Roger
- @RTLisSB

last 3 we have been in have utility space where washing machine is in outside area or machine inside and space to hang up, our current one has a outside space where washing machine is and hanging space, plus a balcony if you wanted to use a drying frame there, we are high up and it dries within 2 hrs.

Washing - depends on if iron as well but you can get a local where we are to do it for 20k/Kg - 10k each for iron.
20k / kg plus 10k pickup and delivery charge in Thao Dien.  A couple of places at that rate.  Comes back washed, tumble dried and folded.

I'm definitely putting in a dryer when we build.
@Andybris2020

Thanks, Andy.

R
@SteinNebraska
Cheers.
When you have a balcony with sun, it's dry in 1 hour..

The problem is the washing machines. Most of them here are cold washing machines, and so don't wash well.

The problem is the washing machines. Most of them here are cold washing machines, and so don't wash well.
- @Erikji

Agreed, luckily hot/cold and steam are now becoming more available for around same as cold only from 2-3 years ago they even come with wifi, phone app to tell you when finished and you can download programs for different stains or tell it to pause until you get home if delayed and restart so doesnt sit with a closed door when finished.

How tech has moved on is amazing, just waiting for a download to turn the kids tv off and shout at them to go hang it up.

- @Erikji

Al the washing machines in my apartments (5) could wash with hot water, and two had cook wash.  Only my first apartment had a dryer, but as you say, it only takes an hour to dry on the balcony. 
My biggest pet peeve with line dried clothes is they are often stiff as a board.

Al the washing machines in my apartments (5) could wash with hot water, and two had cook wash.  Only my first apartment had a dryer, but as you say, it only takes an hour to dry on the balcony. 
- @paulmsn

Cook wash?

- @paulmsn

Cook wash?
- @RTLisSB

Has a setting where it does the cooking while it waits for the washing?
I think "cook wash" is a bad translation of what my washer can do.

With only cold water input into the machine, it has a setting as high as 95°c (203°f) for the internal heating function, and then another button set for "intensive wash" and "medic rinse" (which might be hotter; I don't know).

I'm guessing this is a temperature intended for such things as sanitizing cloth diapers.

Visualizing people doing laundry the true, old-fashioned way, someone probably chose "cook" because people used to boil their laundry in big kettles over flames, quite literally "cooking" the clothes clean.

With only cold water input into the machine, it has a setting as high as 95°c (203°f) for the internal heating function, and then another button set for "intensive wash" and "medic rinse" (which might be hotter; I don't know).

I'm guessing this is a temperature intended for such things as sanitizing cloth diapers.

Visualizing people doing laundry the true, old-fashioned way, someone probably chose "cook" because people used to boil their laundry in big kettles over flames, quite literally "cooking" the clothes clean.
- @OceanBeach92107

Yep sounds right mine has a heater that does the hotter programs also a "steam" wash for anti bacteria that stops after drain and short spin so pretty hot when it comes out, great for bedding etc.
Pretty weird getting notifcation from your washer while your out - last one said it was out of balance, not a lot I could do driving over the bridge near Landmark 81.

Cheers,

Roger
- @RTLisSB
I've used hotel laundry services: most expensive, especially at places such as the Hotel Continental Saigon, where laundry by the piece is sometimes $5.00/₫115,000 VNĐ or more, depending on the item and how quickly you need it.

Neighborhood laundry is much cheaper, and I've been able to find people in Vũng Tàu and Đà Nẵng who will pickup and deliver ironed shirts on hangers for ₫10,000 VNĐ each (about .43 cents USD).

Best solution for me (B4 fiancée) was to hire a housekeeper for ₫50,000 VNĐ  per hour (about $2.14 USD) and have her do laundry, ironing, shopping, cooking, cleaning and basic valet functions.

Maybe not that cheap in HCMC, depending on where you live there.

- @OceanBeach92107

I translated from the German, since the first washer I encountered with this setting was a German washer.  The term is "Kochwäsche" in German.  95-100 degrees C.
Just a random thought here ... given the worldwide concern for energy and the environment ... I have been air drying my laundry since 2013 ... being from California, I was thinking what an amazing thing it would be if air drying laundry could catch fire in that state (no pun intended) ... it would save billions of dollars in energy costs ... I just hang my clothes next to a small fan (even in heavy humid conditions) and in two hours, bam! ... I am ready to roll.

- @OceanBeach92107

I translated from the German, since the first washer I encountered with this setting was a German washer.  The term is "Kochwäsche" in German.  95-100 degrees C.
- @paulmsn
Translate that into English and you get "boil wash"

- @OceanBeach92107

I'm looking for the, "Stick Beating on a Rock in the River" setting.
;)
- @paulmsn
- @OceanBeach92107

It also means cook, both the action (verb: kochen) and the profession.  My German is currently at the level of a child, but I knew more once upon a time.
- @paulmsn
- @OceanBeach92107

It also means cook, both the action (verb: kochen) and the profession.  My German is currently at the level of a child, but I knew more once upon a time.
- @paulmsn
I lived in Deutschland for five years, and I highly doubt that anyone there would intend to tell me that they are going to "cook" their laundry (in the English sense of the word).
20k / kg plus 10k pickup and delivery charge in Thao Dien.  A couple of places at that rate.  Comes back washed, tumble dried and folded.

I'm definitely putting in a dryer when we build.
- @SteinNebraska

We've got our engineering done for our home, starting on construction next week. We've place for laundry, for washer, but are unsure of dryer configuration. Tumble dryer would likely be electric, sounds pretty pricy to operate. So, I've looked into 'drying closets, with small heater and fan, would prefer a gas tumble dryer, but not sure how source of bottled gas efficiency.

Anyone have brain stormed ideas?

MAc