Help me decide!! Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi?! Moving in October

Hey everyone!

I am a 22 year old American from New York City. Right now, I'm in contact with a school in Vietnam to teach English. I just finished my CELTA certificate and am finalizing my job plans. I hope to be in Vietnam in October.

I am struggling to decide between Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi. I am interested in photography, fashion, politics, art, sports, travel, etc.

Does anyone have an idea of which city will suit be best? I have been going back and forth researching, but I would love further insight from current expats!

Thanks in advance!

Grace

Hanoi has some colder weather similar, but not as bad, as NYC.  HCM is more moderate year round, although it could also get sticky in the summer months.  Hanoi is overall more expensive than HCM.  My wife says you should be careful about safety all over VN but especially in Hanoi.  Just be aware of your surroundings and people near you, just like in NYC. 
HCM and Hanoi both have bad traffic, similar to NYC during rush hour trying to get to one of the tunnels to Jersey without EZ-Pass.  The one time I went to Hanoi I got stuck in THE worst traffic jam in my entire life (I'm 66).  Two lanes of traffic going in each direction with gridlock at an intersection.  So the drivers decided to use the opposing lanes since nobody was there.  Which left four lanes of traffic going one way meeting four lanes of traffic going in the opposite direction.  I don't know how it cleared up since we left the taxi and walked, jumping out of the way of the motorbikes driving on the sidewalks.
Finally, there seems to be a more easy-going atmosphere in the south as opposed to the north.
Good luck.

Thank you so much for your response. That was very helpful! I am thinking that Ho Chi Minh would be a better fit for me. It seems that HCM is more open to and safer for westerners.

You should choose Ho Chi Minh city...Ha noi is very strict..Every store have to close before 12pm...

IMO, Saigon is the better pick.  I have been here since October.  Been to Hanoi 3 times, I found the people up north were not as friendly and inviting as the South.  Prices really increase in the north because of just being a westerner.  Having said that, I enjoyed my trips to Hanoi and plan on going again.  There are a lot of historical sites to see, Uncle Ho was a great man and the more I learn about him my admiration just grows.

Ho Chi Minh city .

I don't think HCMC better than HaNoi. But...welcome to HCMC.

There is a issue for your considering is the weather. HN has 4 season, HCMC has 2 season: raining and sunlight.

Cheer.

Thank you so much for all your insight! I will definitely be choosing HCM :)

HCMC is better. You should come here, its more fun ;)

You should GO for Ha noi

mr.cit wrote:

You should GO for Ha noi

I think HCM is better if the people want a place excitement. If you advise her like that..better you need to tell her reasons.

Yuli

if you're in Hanoi where can you go to relax outside the city? Sapa, Ha Long Bay? Those seem one-off touristy. Is there much beach nearby?

In HCMC to relax outside the city there's lots of destinations to go to such as Vung Tau, Mui Ne or the Mekong Delta. You can even go to Da Lat to enjoy the cool mountain air.

Don't forget beautiful Nha Trang for shopping, restaurants and great beaches.

Ho Chi Minh City! :)

Hello gracehanley,
Choosing Hanoi capital or Hochiminh city to live it depend on your character.
Hanoi is appropriate to those who love peaceful and gentle
on the contrary, Hochiminh look like much more dynamic and noisy.

If you are finding where work in, i think Hochiminh is more appropriate.

Anyway, i think you should spent the time and go across my country. Because you can make up your mind properly when you set foot on it.

Nice day,
lutubu

Similar to the choice between D.C and NY or The Hague vs Amsterdam.

Hands down - go to Ho Chi Minh City.  It will fit you perfectly.  You could always fly to Hanoi (it's a short flight) to visit.

- Tin Tin

HCM City is better for you.
Cheers,

hey grace,

i'm 22 and also from new york city. i have been living in hanoi for about 2 months. i have only just found a place to live and just started work, so keep in mind that i haven't really been "living" here too long. i've been to HCMC before, and from everything i hear it's a much more comfortable place for a westerner. its a much more modern city, so might be easier to get accustomed to--depends what you are looking for. i think hanoi has more charm, but it has been very difficult for me to get adjusted. the expat community is quite small, and is very much a bubble. to be honest i don't think i will stay here long. from everyone i've spoken to, i think HCMC might be a better bet. especially being from NYC, it's been a very very shocking transition. in HCMC you can have all of the comforts of home--i think they even have starbucks down there now. it is also more expensive to live in hanoi.

hope this helps!
-nina

Hi,

I was born in North and studied, worked in Hanoi.

But I have moved to Saigon for 10 years.

It's depend on the different people but I think Saigon is better for young, dynamics people. In general, Hanoi is suitable for politics and Saigon is fit for business.

That's my two cents :-)

BTW, Saigon now has 2 Starbucks coffee shops but in my opinion, you should try some Vietnamese coffee ;-)

Welcome to Saigon, Grace! If you need any help, feel free contact me!

Goodluck!
Eric

I am Hanoian,

Although now I am not in Hanoi (I am living in Pakse, Champasak, Laos) but I think that Hanoi is the best place for working and living in Vietnam, special for foreigners, because:

In Hanoi, you can go to work, travel, tourism by Hanoi public buses. Buses system in Hanoi is the best system in Vietnam now and good connection from this place to another place in case of no motorbike, car or bike. And from Hanoi, can go to countrysides by buses, too.

In Hanoi, almost embassy offices place here. Foreigners can get support or effort from their embassy office.

In Hanoi, many international Universities or Schools or Language Centers where foreigners can get a good jobs.

In Hanoi, people can get 4 separate seasons from Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter with very good cuisine, special Hanoi Street Food that can not appear in another cities, example Pudding, Sweet soup from beans (Black, Red, Green, Soya...), Green Rice Flake Cakes,...And people can feel how cold in winter, how hot in summer and how to eat special food in each season.

From Hanoi, people can take (catch) a night train to Sapa or bus to Halong Bay, Trang An-Bai Dinh (Ninh Binh).

Many places for viewing or visiting around Hanoi as Duong Lam, Bat Trang, Khoang Xanh, West Lake, ...

I vote for you t live and work in Hanoi! Hochiminh is only good for work, not for feeling.

Ha Noi is a nice city, but honestly, the people are not.Saigon is more dynamic and  a friendlier city.

HCM hands down.

I went to Hanoi with my fiance (who is HCMC born), and we both hated it.  Not enough variety in "normal" food, but too many weird foods like dog meat, duck egg embryo, etc.  When we wanted to eat pho, we asked for the dipping sauce, but NOT a single restaurant/street vendor, offered any sauce, it seemed a bit ridiculous they don't even give you the option to have sauce or not.  Also, for some reason, they don't serve pho bo, bo vien, etc (beef pho), it's always pho ga (chicken), and they mostly serve com ga (chicken rice), no beef rice or rice with pork chop, etc.

Also, Hanoi has periods of very cold and very hot weather, try to avoid going there in January where you'll need to wear a jacket, despite the common misconception that Vietnam is a hot oountry all around.

And finally, the locals in Hanoi, for some reason, seem less friendly, much more conservative than the locals from HCMC.

HO CHI MINH CITY. you would probably feel more at home here with the amount of foreigners and it's easy to find most of your fellow countrymen almost everywhere in Saigon.

Most foreigners do prefer living in Saigon as preferred to Hanoi as well I guess. Well you'd probably find more entertainment here as well as compared to Hanoi.

Anyway good luck on your move and all the best!

Thumbs up for HCMC I've moved here 9 months ago ( I'm also from the east coast Kings Bridge Bronx) Too much to do here in the city which is a good thing.

Hope to see another fellow New Yorker her soon

hi Grace

nice to meet you

my name is thomas, project engineer at UK company in vungtau city

i am vietnamese, i just rekon you that, you should move to ho chi minh to work, it is much better than hanoi, you know ho chi minh city is the biggest city in vietnam and people here very friendly,

i am also living in ho chi  minh city,

according to me, northern people of vietnam not good, and you must be more careful when you live and work in ha noi city

i just have some advice for you

mhy nick name on yahoo chat: longrrna

hope to see you on yahoo soon

Thomas

ha noi is ancient city, many historical places to visit there, 4 season, very nice, just find someone to keep u warm :"> , hanoi guys r much more handsome than HCMC guys, and if u like mountainous, it's very nice to travel, very near hanoi, HCMC is ~33 oC the whole year, many shopping malls, bars, high salary,...

Basing on your wants, and your age, you should first try Ho Chi Minh City. It is not so strict in HCMC, unlike in Ha Noi.

But actually, you can have all of those what you want in both parts of Vietnam, but I think you should be in HCMC first.
In my own opinion, it is because expats are all over HCMC, there are only a few foreigners whom I know accepted to be relocated in Ha Noi after staying in HCMC for quite a few years.

Also, if you want to travel, you can always take the bus, train or plane to your destinations, there are a lot of beautiful destinations here in Vietnam, may it be near HCMC or Ha Noi. But if you're aiming to go outside of Vietnam, like Cambodia, Laos or Thailand, HCMC is the better pick.

I'm not too different as an Upstate New Yorker from Binghamton with family from NYC and only 23 years old.

While I would certainly like to visit Hanoi sometime, one of a long list of places I would love to visit, I have even heard from Vietnamese nationals from Hanoi that Saigon/HCMC is preferable when leading my informal English Discussion Group.

The bus system in HCMC is not on par with Europe and NYC but is decent enough. I cannot be certain that Hanoi would necessarily have a better system though, despite an above claim. Learn your numbers and how to bargain with xe om (motor-taxi) drivers either way, always getting an agreed price before getting on. There are some that will ruthlessly try to rip off foreigners! (:/ personal experience)

With your interests in "photography, fashion, politics, art, sports, travel, etc.", I would probably objectively say that HCMC is a better fit. Undeniably, Hanoi is the political and cultural capital of Vietnam. However, room for political discourse is less stringent in HCMC, though I usually use the failures of American politics as a fail-safe and seek the opinions of locals. Hanoi is about maintaining culture, HCMC is slightly more culturally pluralistic (despite the recent local decree on non-Vietnamese business signs being prohibited, to whatever degree that will actually be enforced).

There's plenty in the way of fashion, art, and, to a lesser extent, sports here, and travel has already been addressed. With regard to photography, always make sure to have (at least implicit) permission before photography any government or People's Committee buildings or officials. Otherwise, there is so much you can photograph. The fruits and vegetables that I cannot name in English are quite plentiful, and Saigon is ecologically considered "sub-tropical". The best climate comparison to the US would be the Gulf Coast, especially with the somewhat unpredictable storms! Especially coming from upstate with our rolling hillsides, I'll really be missing those autumn leaves.

I know that you've already decided, but I hope that this adds even deeper perspective into life in Ho Chi Minh City! :D

Edit: I came with a TESOL program and certification, but CELTA is definitely favored, undeniably at ILA at even at VUS, two of the more prestigious and well-paying language centers, though this is not an endorsement of either. You honestly don't need to bother finding an employer before you arrive.

My biggest culture shock was how much people embraced America. English is King for the upwardly-mobile, and wow do American companies know how to merchandize in Saigon!

Hi Grace,I have only been in VN for a while , a visit ,in Feb and again now I am from Perth,the first time we travelled from Hanoi all the way to HCMc this time Im staying 2 weeks in HCMc.My first time feelings were that Hanoi or Hoian are the better, I cant explain it just a feeling of belonging,my plan is to give the other 2 another look to be sure,then come home( to VN ) yes, I loveit, good luck with your choice:Ps welcome.

I think you should choose Ho Chi Minh city. Especially in Dist.2 & Dist.7 because they have many international school and you will find a job there, many foreigner live there. Hope you find a good place to stay in vietnam.

Ngoc

I think you should choose Saigon.  I was there the first week of Sept. 2013.  Maybe I'm biased because I was born there.  I was born in Phu' Nhua.n near Tan Son Nhat airport.  It's crowded and hectic but it's perfect for someone who loves that.  I haven't been to NYC but if it's anything like that, you're in the right place.  Be prepared if you step out of the touristy area though.  It's an eye opener.  Good luck.

colinoscapee wrote:

Ha Noi is a nice city, but honestly, the people are not.Saigon is more dynamic and  a friendlier city.

"Alll bread is not baked in one oven"!

Mandy

mandynguyen wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Mandy

Opinions are like asses, everyone has one.

colinoscapee wrote:
mandynguyen wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Mandy

Opinions are like asses, everyone has one.

Oh yes I forgot each of us comes from different backgound :)

Mandy

But I will stick with what I said before, the people in the North are not as friendly as the South.

gracehanley wrote:

Hey everyone!

I am a 21 year old American from New York City. Right now, I'm in contact with a school in Vietnam to teach English. I just finished my CELTA certificate and am finalizing my job plans. I hope to be in Vietnam in October.

I am struggling to decide between Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi. I am interested in photography, fashion, politics, art, sports, travel, etc.

Does anyone have an idea of which city will suit be best? I have been going back and forth researching, but I would love further incite from current expats!

Thanks in advance!

Grace

I haven't been involved in this thread since I figured it's just a popularity vote.  Except for a few posts that had a good balanced view of both cities, most have generally been biased towards Hồ Chí Minh City.  It's analogous to an Indian (someone from India, not the Cowboy vs. Indian) asking a USA forum that is dominated by New Yorkers to help them choose which city is better: New York or Los Angeles.  Of course, those from New York will say New York.

So the answer is:  It depends.  But in your case, you actually laid out some of your interest:

"I am interested in photography, fashion, politics, art, sports, travel, etc."

If  you like politics, then Hà Nội is a better city since it is the Capital.  You might get a lot of opportunities to participate in many events that many international embassies in Hà Nội hold that are open to the public.

Sports really hasn't caught on in Việt Nam like it does in the USA (NFL, NBA, MLB).  Soccer is about it.  Some places have tried dog racing, motorbike racing, the usual modern day sports activity.  But there are also places in the North that have buffalo fights, and the plateau region has elephant races. 

Something not talked about is Đà Nẵng.  I heard there's alot of Americans GIs retiring in Đà Nẵng.  It's close to Huế for your fashion and photography inklings and located in the middle of the country so you can go North or South to travel and explore.

In summary, it's up to you.  The world is open for you to explore and find out what place you like.  Any place will have it's good and bad.

P.S., the word is "insight", not incite.  If you want to incite Expats, then that means you're trying to get us riled up and start arguing with each other which city is better, Hà Nội or Hồ Chí Minh City.  But I bet you knew that.

gracehanley wrote:

Thank you so much for all your insight! I will definitely be choosing HCM :)

P.S.S., there's an "edit" button for this very reason.

Hi Grace,

Im Demi from Hochiminh Vietnam. I think Hcm is better, a big city in Vietnam and there re a lot of chances for you if you wanna teach English there. HCM is an international city,it's more motivated than Hanoi. And u can easly adapt quickly with the enviroment here. specialy, Vietnamese food in HCM is so delious. U can work well and enjoy your stay in HCMC. Welcom to Vietnam and HCMC dear! If you need any information i can help you!

I envy you guys for being there.  I would love to live there.