Driving from KSA to Bahrain

Hi, I'm a UK national, living in Riyadh on a Business Visa. I have an Absher account, but not an Iqama.

My friend, also a UK national but living in KSA as an Iqama holder, has offered to lend me his car to drive to Bahrain, and return.

Does anyone know, definitively, whether the rules allow me to drive the car? There is no finance outstanding on the car and he has insurance cover to drive in Bahrain.

Many thanks,

Phil
You need authorization from the owner to take the car across the causeway into Bahrain.  This much is definite.  I do this trip every single week from Riyadh and I keep seeing people turned back by Saudi customs at the very first booth because of this - annoying as it causes a delay when you are in a queue :).

In the past, it used to be manual authorization via traffic department but in the last few years, it is online.  If he can authorize you in Absher and it works, you should have no issues. I am not sure if authorization can be given to Non-Iqama holders.

The second issue is insurance.  Does his policy cover other drivers?  and if so, does that include people who are not Iqama holders?   that he needs to check with his insurance company.