Healthcare in Mexico with pre existing condition

I am planning on retiring to Mexico this May. I am confused regarding healthcare.. I am 67 and generally in good health
15 years ago I had a heart issue but no damage and have a stent. I only need a check up once a year which I don't mind flying into the us and holding on to my Medicare.

I need advise on what kind of insurance would be right for me.

Please help.

Thanks,,
David

Hi Koolcat,

I have experience with health insurance in Mexico. For instance, I know that pre-existing conditions and an individual health history are taken into consideration when applying for private health plans in Mexico.  You might find it difficult to find a company that would accept you after having stent surgery, however, this should not deter your search. Feel free to PM me if you would like me to share more details about how the process has worked for me.

Melanie

Koolkat1954,   I just sent you a private message with some info.

Kat

• @Kat11  I also have pre-existing conditions - How is this dealt with on the regular Healthcare in Mexico. Will they accept me as a temporary resident visa holder??? I know the private care will assess my health (and probably laugh at the application). Thanks Ross

@koolcat1954

Hi David,

All health insurance companies which insure individuals in Mexico evaluate pre-existing conditions (surgeries, medical treatment, medical procedures, medications).

Policy limitations may apply to any pre-existing condition. The type of policy limitation applied depends on the company and the underwriters´evaluation results.

The most typical policy limitations include:

1. Permanent exclusion
2. Additional deductible for the medical condition in question
3. Premium surcharge - additional percentage of premium applied to cover the illness

The type of policy limitation is determined by the company, not the insured.

In my experience, very few health insurance companies (Mexican, International, Expat) extend coverage to individuals who have had stent surgery.

I hope this information is helpful.

Melanie

Thanks Melanie, I had a quadruple bypass so they may like this more than a stent as all new pipes were assembled? Also had a new shoulder put in (bionic man now). What do you think of these issues? Thanks Ross

Hi Ross,

Quadruple bypass would be more difficult.

Unfortunately, companies assess risk based on intervention, not on how successful the surgery went.

In my experience, any type of joint surgery, repair, or injury usually receives a permanent exclusion.

Do keep in mind that every health insurance company has different underwriting guidelines and practices. There is no way for anyone outside of the company to predict how policy limitations will be applied. We can only make an educated guess based on particular experience working with company underwriters.

Finally, rates are standard and based on age and sex, not how healthy you are.

Hope this information is helpful to you.

Best,
Melanie Lansing

@Melanie_In_Mexico  Thanks for the comments - I really just have to get quote and see how bad it is. Thanks Ross