Cost of living in Canada

Hello everybody! My name is Park Lin. I'm 25 years old. I'm a Chinese-American and I want to move to Canada.
I would like to know different information about the cost of living in different parts of Canada. I have read lots of sources and the information is extremely different. Please, share your experience with me. What is the cost of products, accommodation and entertainments?

I would try posting this on the Canadian form as you will get multiple answers from all over Canada. This is the Germany form.
However, I am Canadian and can give you a rough idea because I have not left for Germany yet and I have lived in Canada all my life.

I would strongly recommend you moving to a smaller city or even a town rather than a big city. I know smaller communities can be undesirable because most people want to live in a big city, but its almost impossible to live here with the current wages versus housing costs. You need to have roommates for sure and even then its hard.

I currently live with my brother in an apartment in Regina, which is a small city compared to others. My share of the rent is 785 canadian. My share of the power is usually 90$ (I work from home so I use a lot of power). My phone bill for my cell is 105$. My share of the internet is 45$. I don't have to commute to work but my brother just filled his car up and spent 80$ for that. He has a long drive to work so might fill up 3 times a month so about 240 a month for that. I spend about 300$ for food a month for myself. My brother also spends 65$ a month on license for his vehicle (you can spend more or less on your vehicle depending on how old the vehicle is. My brother has an older vehicle). You can take buses but I can't tell you how much that is because I don't use them. I don't go out these days because of COVID so I mostly netflix and chill by myself with pizza as my method of fun (although if you go out you can expect to pay 5$ to get into a club and about 7-10 dollars per alcoholic drink). For me without the vehicle I spend about 1325 canadian a month (1044 USD on the current exchange rate, All other mentions of money are in canadian). I get paid 21.98 an hour (well above minimum wage which is 11.81 an hour) for a full time job as a medical transcriptionist. I come out with 2751 after taxes - 1325 leaves me with 1426 canadian left over. It would be  less if I drove to work. Keep in mind this is a small city and if you were to go to places like Vancouver or Toronto you might need upwards of 25-30 dollars an hour job to make it there and that is not an over exaggeration. Smaller communities are cheaper. You can rent a 3 bedroom house in the town I grew up in for 900$ a month, but its harder to find a job in smaller communities.

My brother on the other hand just has enough to cover his part of the bills and doesn't have much left over, maybe 150 or so he comes out with after he pays for his share and his own food, so I live comfortably and he doesn't.

Good luck on your journey to Canada and when you get here.. Welcome to Canada!

Hello,

Please note that this thread is now on the Canada forum.

Thanks,

Diksha
Expat.com team