Sunlight in Cuenca

I heard there was no sunlight in Cuenca for 18 mos. as of approx. May 2021. Is this so? Most photos I see of Cuenca have no sunlight.  This is important to me. Please, speak to it. Thank you!

I would advise you to take heed of the old saw, "Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"...

If you want to move to Cuenca to work on your tan, well, I'd consider other places first.  But it is not without sunlight there.  But also it is high enough that it gets cool, and as warm, humid air rises from lower elevations, rain can precipitate out.  Here's a good summary of Cuenca's climate:

https://www.cuyabenolodge.com/ecuador/c … eather.htm

Cuenca gets only about 35" of rain a year, about 880 mm/year.  That's not wet compared to many places in South America, or North America either.

Average hours of sun per month ranges from 113 in February, to 186 in July and August.

If you are a sun-lover, or a rain-lover, Cuenca may not be exactly right for you.  The site above says that typically mornings can be sunny, with scattered clouds in the afternoon.  And that varies - it's weather.

Do an internet search for
días con sol en cuenca ecuador
...and you can see many images where the Sun is shining brightly in Cuenca.

OsageArcher wrote:

Cuenca... Average hours of sun per month ranges from 113 in February, to 186 in July and August.

If you are a sun-lover, or a rain-lover, Cuenca may not be exactly right for you.  The site above says that typically mornings can be sunny, with scattered clouds in the afternoon.

That's an average of about four to six hours of sun per day, four hours  being in February and six in July and August.

There was discussion of sunlight and weather in today's posts on the Ecuador forum thread titled Rod Will Stay Until He Finds a Better Place Than Ecuador.

cccmedia

Good to hear! I heard that on another Cuenca expat forum.

Cuenca is a bit lower than Quito and a bit higher than Cumbayá. I prefer less sun, not more. Cuenca has about 10% less harmful UV sun radiation than Quito. Whereas Cumbayá has about 20% less harmful UV sun radiation than Quito (very rough figures). Regarding air pollution, in general Cuenca has higher air pollution compared to Quito or Cumbayá.

Hi Ho,

I lived in Cuenca for 3 months. There is sun and rain like in many other places.

Sometimes more sometimes less.

Greetings from Germany
Senior Ott