Health insurance & pre-existing conditions?

My wife and I are relocating to Playa Del Carmen and are concerned about what options are available for those with pre-existing conditions. My wife gets infusions twice a year for rheumatoid arthritis. It seems nobody in the insurance industry is willing to state on their websites that they cover pre-existing on international plans. Would love advice from someone in the same boat who has navigated the waters in Mexico for health coverage.

Thanks a bunch

Doug & Roxanne

Welcome to The Mexico part of the ex-pat Forum dbrown71467,

I would suggest looking under the services part at the top of this page. They may have the health advice you are looking for.

Hi Doug,

All private health insurance companies who insure individuals in Mexico evaluate pre-existing conditions-- any medications, surgeries, medical treatment, or procedures. Policy limitations may apply to any pre-existing condition. Companies also have a list of uninsurable risks-- those conditions for which they will automatically deny an application for health insurance.

Since health insurance companies evaluate risk differently, I would recommend you find a seasoned, bilingual, broker who can assist you with identifying the right health insurance company and plan for your specific pre-existing conditions.

I hope this information has been helpful.

Melanie Lansing