Safe and Affordable Tropical Places in Mexico

Can anyone give me some pointers of a safe and affordable tropical areas in Mexico to spend a few months out of a year in? I'm looking at the town of Tampico but don't have much information on it.  Thanks.

Welcome to expat Mexico Aeta tribe,

You questions bring up more questions than answers. What is your Idea of tropical ? Generally things become more "tropical the more south you go. Tampico leans more North. Historically Tampico has had some issues fairly recently. Safer places also tend to be more in southern Mexico.

In order to be safe in pretty much all of Mexico one should not be out on the street or driving at night. Bar hopping can increase your risks. Unfortunately being female increases your risks also. So if you went to Tampico and did your sight seeing before dark, you would probably be fairly safe.

As for costs only you would know how much you are willing to spend. I suggest you explore those prices on a website like Booking.com.

Thank you for the advice and suggestions.  I sort of see you point of the further you go south, the safer it get, since most of the chaos are taking place near the U.S. border.  I agree with the idea of doing your business and pleasure during the day, and stay off the street after the sun goes down. It's common sense advice anywhere you go around the world. I do have a budget and I would like to stick to it.  Do the living expenses get cheaper the further south you and away from big cities you go. I am sure it gets warmer (tropical)  the further you go south, but does it necessarily becomes safer?

Aeta Tribe wrote:

Thank you for the advice and suggestions.  I sort of see you point of the further you go south, the safer it get, since most of the chaos are taking place near the U.S. border.  I agree with the idea of doing your business and pleasure during the day, and stay off the street after the sun goes down. It's common sense advice anywhere you go around the world. I do have a budget and I would like to stick to it.  Do the living expenses get cheaper the further south you and away from big cities you go. I am sure it gets warmer (tropical)  the further you go south, but does it necessarily becomes safer?

Actually those towns are safer from what I have seen for the most part. I'm sure you have heard of Merida and perhaps Campeche both are thought of as safe and Campeche is considered to be very tranquil. Even Cancun is more pleasant for a tourist town, and safer in general than tourist towns in the North. It's had some cartel issues but it's not chronic like Acapulco. The smaller towns are cheaper, but then they usually do not have the products you might want.

I found most of the towns in the North to be more expensive.

I have heard of Merida and Campeche but do not know much about those towns other than what I have gathered from social media.  If Campeche is “tranquil” then I am going to put it down on my bucket list of itineraries for Mexico. I have a friend who made Cancun a port o' call when he was employed by Royal Caribbean. He said he preferred Cozumel because it was cheaper and has its own airport. I have looked at Playa del Carmen but, according to him, it has become a tourist trap and gotten expensive like Cancun.  Acapulco has not been safe for a while because of the cartel activities. My wife and I will probably not buy much clothes or other wares since we will bring everything we need in our baggage. We are just going to live off the land of local restaurants' food and beverages as much as possible for about a month. As for accommodation, we just need a small space that has a bed and a bathroom, and a small kitchenette if possible.  We are still in a process of checking out various locations in different countries before we decide where to settle down.

Where are you coming in from and by what means?   If you're ok with humidity look at the east coast if humidity bothers you go the west coast route. 
My favorite place in Mexico and I have done it from east to west, up and down by automobile is Melaque in the state of Jalisco.  Check out [link moderated]   20% gringo 80% Mexican.  100 miles south of PV.   Safe travels.

I'm coming from Florida.  I've lived in Asia and the deserts of Arizona and Nevada.  Personally, I prefer a humid tropical and sub-tropical climates near any body of water (beach or lake); good for the body and soul.  I'm looking for something similar in Mexico.

I love Huatulco, Crucecita, Oaxaca. I live in a condo with a pool, one mile from the beach. The price will go up in the fall. That being said, what it is costing me now is less than what i rent out my one bedroom, basement apartment  for in Windsor Ontario.  What I did was rent an airbnb, a room in a lovely home, for a month. Then I looked for a place to rent long term.  I am a single woman, 70, and i feel perfectly safe here. I don't go out at night although it would be safe. This is not a place that has a lot of bars, discos, clubs.  And no highrises as buildings are only allowed to be 4 stories. Beaches have small restaurants on them, not hotels for the most part.

I was thinking of renting at viewpoint - an expensive place for the area. I am also 70 as is my wife. I am concerned that the walk to the beach / village from viewpoint is steep and since my wife has bad knees,  the walk may be too much for her. Overall, is there much to do a mile from the beach where you are?? Is there a more substantial town a mile from the beach. Your comments will be very helpful. Thanks

mrpres wrote:

I was thinking of renting at viewpoint - an expensive place for the area. I am also 70 as is my wife. I am concerned that the walk to the beach / village from viewpoint is steep and since my wife has bad knees,  the walk may be too much for her. Overall, is there much to do a mile from the beach where you are?? Is there a more substantial town a mile from the beach. Your comments will be very helpful. Thanks

I am not familiar with Viewpoint. Is that a place in Puerto Angel? That is what came up when i googled it.  I live in Crucecita, Huatulco, which is basically the small town center where the plaza with the church is. There are many restaurants of various price range. There are many shops. i rarely go to super market as there is a fruit and veggie market across the street from the condo and also a small grocery store  The walk over the hill, to get to the beach, well, it is a hill. I am quite fit for my age so the walk is a non-issue for me. Crucecita area is flat. A taxi to the closest beach, Santa Cruz, is 35 pesos. Anywhere in town is 35 pesos.  No need to discuss price with taxi drivers. To Beach Entrega 60 pesos and Beach Maguay 70 pesos. Chahue beach would also be a 35 peso taxi.  That beach is not as sheltered. It is beautiful but I don't swim there. Other beaches i mentioned have calm, clear, water.  I sometimes take the bus that passes through Crucecita. 8 pesos to Santa Cruz.  Can take bus to and from Super market also and of course a 35 peso taxi.  I suggest you go on facebook page Huatulco, What's Up Happening.  You may be able to find a place to rent on that page. Also can ask questions. And there is Market Place, Huatulco. But be sure  the Place you find is Santa Cruz area, Crucecita area and not Santa Maria which is about one hour drive away up in the hills.  Unless of course you want to live in the hills in Santa Maria and not on the coast.

thanks again for the comments .