COVID-19 far more widespread in Indonesia than official data show

An aticle published yestarday by Reuters
JAKARTA (Reuters) - COVID-19 is many times more prevalent in Indonesia than shown by official figures in the world's fourth most populous country, authors of two new studies told Reuters.

The country of 270 million has recorded 1.83 million positive cases, but epidemiologists have long believed the true scale of the spread has been obscured by a lack of testing and contact tracing.

The results of Indonesia's first major seroprevalence studies - which test for antibodies - were revealed exclusively to Reuters.

One nationwide study between December and January suggested 15% of Indonesians had already contracted COVID-19 - when official figures at the end of January had recorded infections among only around 0.4% of people.

Even now, Indonesia's total positive infections are only around 0.7% of the population.

The results of the survey were not unexpected given under reporting, said Pandu Riono, a University of Indonesia epidemiologist who worked on the study carried out with help from the World Health Organisation.

Siti Nadia Tarmizi, a senior health ministry official, said it was possible the study was preliminary, but there might be more cases than officially reported because many cases were asymptomatic.

[b]She said indonesia had low contact tracing and a lack of laboratories to process tests.
[/b]
Based on blood tests, seroprevalence studies detect antibodies which show up people who likely already contracted the disease. The official figures are largely based on swab tests, which detect the virus itself and only reveal those who have it at the time.

Antibodies develop one to three weeks after someone contracts the virus and stay in the body for months.

WEAK TESTING

Seroprevalence studies in other countries - including India - have also revealed more widespread infections.

"Our official surveillance system cannot detect COVID-19 cases. It is weak," said the principal investigator for the University of Indonesia study, Tri Yunis Miko Wahyono, who commented on it but was not authorised to confirm the figures.

"Contact tracing and testing in Indonesia is very poor and explains why so few cases are detected."

Fellow study author Pandu said that although the study showed the wider spread of the virus, Indonesia still appeared to be far from achieving herd immunity - making it a priority to speed up vaccination.

Just 6% of Indonesia's targeted population of 181 million have been fully vaccinated with two doses so far (updated to 9,6 million as 3 june*), while 9.4% have had one shot, according to government data.

Preliminary results of a separate seroprevalence study in Bali, done by the University of Udayana, found 17 per cent of those tested in September and November appeared to have been infected, principal investigator Anak Agung Sagung Sawitri told Reuters.

That was 53 times higher than rate of infection based on the cases officially recorded at the time on the tourist island, which is planning to reopen to international visitors next month (thats the reason why they pospone to July/Agoust and maybe later*).

The reopening is opposed by some public health experts, including academic and doctor Ady Wirawan.

"Testing, tracing, isolation and quarantine is very, very weak in Bali," he said.
*Personal addendum

Surprise surprise !

Hiya,

Is there a point to your post that everyone doesn't know already.

Regards

A Bule in indonesia

Mwartena wrote:

Hiya,

Is there a point to your post that everyone doesn't know already.

Regards

A Bule in indonesia

Are u sure?
Im not, because I dont know everybody in Indonesia,  do u?
Regards
Marcello Manganese

Hi Marcello,

It is always good to share a point of view based on hearings/readings, even if it is not the official one.
I was wondering if you heard about the borders reopening (Bali). This reopening was initially announced for June-July.  I should come to investigate (finding land/properties through agencies,...). I'm now fully vaccinated, and so authorized to travel almost everywhere.
Thank in advance. Have a good day
Guy

Exoticorchidslux wrote:

Hi Marcello,

It is always good to share a point of view based on hearings/readings, even if it is not the official one.
I was wondering if you heard about the borders reopening (Bali). This reopening was initially announced for June-July.  I should come to investigate (finding land/properties through agencies,...). I'm now fully vaccinated, and so authorized to travel almost everywhere.
Thank in advance. Have a good day
Guy

Halo Guy, not yet official statement in place about reopining the borders in Bali, last news was about Green Zones (Sanur, Ubud, Nusa Dua) that should be ready to open for tourists in Agoust, requiring full vacination, 1 swab test at the airport of Denpasar, 5 days quarantine in hotels approved by government including another swab test and the download of a mobile app to trace them movements.
So u could come now with Visa B211a via Jakarta, It match the purpose of ur journey.

Hi everyone,

Please note that a few posts have been removed from this thread.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com  Team

So the numbers are higher than reported? And why would we be surprised?
Are they dead? No. So herd immunity is happening. Great! Open up the world!
I have had my vaccines but they mean nothing. Still swab tests, quarantine, etc. When will a vaccine mean you are vaccinated and can move freely?
I am elderly and I want a life.

Vaccines are only one tool in your covid armour. Astraz is now only 60% effective against the new variants so the other tools (facemasks, hand gel, distancing) are still essential. On Bali just now. Shocked at the % of people wandering around with no face coverings at all or the now infamous chin protection (face completely bare). Like a fashion statement. And ashamedly 50% of these are expats from the west or Australia. I'm from the west and am embarrassed by what I see. The local police should get much more tough. If we had all been forced to comply with the rules (worldwide) we would be through this by now and we would all have that life you're looking for again. But we didn't. So we only have ourselves to blame. One thing herd immunity. Quite another new variants (that the herd has not experienced yet). Stick to the rules, vaccinated or not. There's a lot of garbage coming out of the so-called science community. Just like there has been about health over many years - one scientist promoting x, y or z only to have another scientist declare x, y or z is the kiss of death. Bottom line, we are our own best scientists. The best rule of all -  common sense. Protect yourself and protect others by following the guidance. It's not difficult

It makes no difference the whole thing is a hoax
Covid is a flu that is 99.6% survivable. So what's the panic.? Stop buying into the hoax

The world cannot hide from a virus forever

Von krenner wrote:

It makes no difference the whole thing is a hoax
Covid is a flu that is 99.6% survivable. So what's the panic.? Stop buying into the hoax

Wow!!! There are still negationist showing up, cant belivie It!!
Luckily there are few of u left, I wish you never to see a loved one die for Covid.

BaliTiger wrote:

So the numbers are higher than reported? And why would we be surprised?
Are they dead? No. So herd immunity is happening. Great! Open up the world!
I have had my vaccines but they mean nothing. Still swab tests, quarantine, etc. When will a vaccine mean you are vaccinated and can move freely?
I am elderly and I want a life.

We all want our life back, that can happen only when wr'll reach herd immunity, wich Is still far, specially in Indonesia, where people who received the 2 doses are actually 4.5% (all the world Is 9.9%), while the percentage to reach Is 75%, thats will be the time when a vaccine mean we can go back to our lifes.

If we keep going this way, we won't have our lives to go back to.
Bali has 2 million people who have directly lost their tourism jobs. Over 1 million Balinese now can't feed themselves.
Kuta, Legian and Seminyak no longer exist. The shops are closed and gone, the restaurants and warnings are gone, the resorts are shut and for sale.
The longer we hide from facing covid, the more destruction we have.
Covid has been proven to affect the elderly and infirmed.  Yet we have destroyed the world and it's economies for 10% of the population.
We have progressed since the 1918 Spanish flu in science, yet we have so far fought covid with no technology. Isolate, quarantine and lockdowns is how we have hidden from this flu.
55.5 million people die in the world every year and yet for 3 million covid we have destroyed our world.

I know some people are  suffering because of covid , but what i find amazing in south bali is the heavy traffic like pre covid days ,plenty of newish expensive cars and bikes on the road .

If you go food shopping in grand lucky supermarket , its hard to find a parking place amongst the fortuners and alphards etc ,and that shop has the best range of imported  product at the most expensive prices .

A tale of two cities ,which you find in most developing countries .

BaliTiger wrote:

If we keep going this way, we won't have our lives to go back to.
Bali has 2 million people who have directly lost their tourism jobs. Over 1 million Balinese now can't feed themselves.
Kuta, Legian and Seminyak no longer exist. The shops are closed and gone, the restaurants and warnings are gone, the resorts are shut and for sale.
The longer we hide from facing covid, the more destruction we have.
Covid has been proven to affect the elderly and infirmed.  Yet we have destroyed the world and it's economies for 10% of the population.
We have progressed since the 1918 Spanish flu in science, yet we have so far fought covid with no technology. Isolate, quarantine and lockdowns is how we have hidden from this flu.
55.5 million people die in the world every year and yet for 3 million covid we have destroyed our world.

U really are claiming that elderly and infermed deserve to die? I cant believe It.
Anyway, not only them are dying for Covid, also healthy people are.
Its true that we are facing an economic global  crisis, but not so dramatic as u paintrd it, neither in Indonesia, where the real problem Is the government's inability to allocate aid to people in need.
In Bali the vaccination program for the Green Zones is going fast, they are close to reach herd immunity, at least in that areas, we Just have to continue to follow preventive measures (wearing mask, social distancing, disinfect often  hands) and do not stages drama.

If it's a hoax it's cost billions in vaccines etc. 2% of people die following infection. That's 2 in every hundred. Wander around aimlessly without protection and pass it to 5 others, who pass it to 5 others, who pass it to 5 others, who pass it to 5 others, who pass it to 5 others (it's a virus after all) and that's 3125 infected people which started with you. 62 deaths. Well done. Didn't you do well! And that doesn't include the long covid infections or the near death hospital experiences. Bottom line, if you want to die from it, no problem. But you have no right to participate in the deaths of others (through thoughtless selfish misguided actions)

its a flu ,yes some people actually die from it..04% of the population.People die of cancer of diabetes and pneumonia etc.Its that the numbers are SOOOOO exaggerated and the masses have not asked why. What is the government agenda? Why now when its been around for 30 years. Why are governments destroying economies and peoples lives? for a flu that is 99.6% survivable?? Why does big business and big Pharma want to inject you with gene therapy that is untested? It is actually NOT a vaccine. How much has been paid to big govermnmet officials to allow this? WHY???
Do some research There are thousands of articles out there that show what an evil action this is.
The lying of government officials( Fauci stated in 2005 that the Hydroclorixide  or what ever it was called exactly was very effective agains all sirs viruses and that it actually built an immunity to them. So why is he now saying the opposite. And by the way big Pharma is already saying that their gene therapy won't make you immune and you will need follow up shots every year, think unending dollars to big Pharma. Why?? How was this done?? Do your research and then say NO freakin way!!!!

covid testing alone is multi BILLION a week in revenue!!!
It all phony
Everybody gets the flu and 99.6% of the people get over it.

Also something that has not been published widely is that more people are dying from the vaccine than ALL vaccines combined in history!!!!!! and it has not been pulled from the public. Why???
Why is the government bribing people to get the vaccine by bribing them with college scholarships or million dollar lotteries? and tons of other financial incentives that poor people will jump on with out thinking because most of the population is near bank ruptcy. Why????

You don't spread cancer or diabetes. They are lifestyle or hereditary.  You do spread covid. 2% of people infected die from it. 2 in every 100. To put it into perspective; during the worst flu outbreak in the UK in recent years 20,000 people died one year. By comparison 100,000+ died from covid last year. We're up to 176,000 now. That's why it's labelled a pandemic. No governments shut their borders or quarantine people just for the fun of it. No hospitals are overwhelmed worldwide by just a sniffle or a cold. The message is simple. Think. Don't spread it!

Von krenner wrote:

its a flu ,yes some people actually die from it..04% of the population.People die of cancer of diabetes and pneumonia etc.Its that the numbers are SOOOOO exaggerated and the masses have not asked why. What is the government agenda? Why now when its been around for 30 years. Why are governments destroying economies and peoples lives? for a flu that is 99.6% survivable?? Why does big business and big Pharma want to inject you with gene therapy that is untested? It is actually NOT a vaccine. How much has been paid to big govermnmet officials to allow this? WHY???
Do some research There are thousands of articles out there that show what an evil action this is.
The lying of government officials( Fauci stated in 2005 that the Hydroclorixide  or what ever it was called exactly was very effective agains all sirs viruses and that it actually built an immunity to them. So why is he now saying the opposite. And by the way big Pharma is already saying that their gene therapy won't make you immune and you will need follow up shots every year, think unending dollars to big Pharma. Why?? How was this done?? Do your research and then say NO freakin way!!!!

Db01 already answer ur fake news, fortunately, there are few deniers left, your bizarre theses have already been widely refuted by science and facts.
I know u are scared to die, but denyng the reality Is not a wise way to fell safe.

That's why people are getting fed up with covid. Because it doesn't stop. It doesn't stop because people keep spreading it. Simple enough?

A virus doesn't grow on trees. It passes from me to you to him/her. Time to wake up. Stop day dreaming. Stop spreading it. Only then will you get your life back.

Cases worldwide
179M
Deaths
3.87M

Sorry, I was wrong. It's 2.16 people in every 100 infections that die (not 2). Real deaths. Not fake deaths. And how many of the balance will suffer long term consequences. Other organ damage

Simple message. Stop spreading it

I am 63 yo and my husband is 74yo.
We have had a good life. And we can look after ourselves.
So while the world is punished to keep us alive, we don't want it.
If covid affected everyone, small children who are the future, then we would agree with the tactics so far.
But it is not like that. The world is being destroyed for 7% of an age group.
We want our lives back and our life choices.
I write from Australia when we have had the hardest lockdowns and our government's policy is zero cases. A ridiculous expectation. 176,000 Australians die each year and we had 900 die WITH from a bungling state government.
Covid is now a political football and has become a money making industry of its own .

I thought it was only herr trumpf supporters who were "brain cell challenged" with their stories of the kabal , peodophiles  Q etc , no such thing as covid , disinfectant injections ,strong light therapy ,and not forgetting the totally useless chloroquine ,which is of course  an anti malarial with bad side effects .

Thankfully iv had my inoculations a few months ago , but still take all the usual precautions  ,there is no way I want pipes shoved down my throat or long covid , or to leave this mortal coil ,because of some virus .

BaliTiger wrote:

I am 63 yo and my husband is 74yo.
We have had a good life. And we can look after ourselves.
So while the world is punished to keep us alive, we don't want it.
If covid affected everyone, small children who are the future, then we would agree with the tactics so far.
But it is not like that. The world is being destroyed for 7% of an age group.
We want our lives back and our life choices.
I write from Australia when we have had the hardest lockdowns and our government's policy is zero cases. A ridiculous expectation. 176,000 Australians die each year and we had 900 die WITH from a bungling state government.
Covid is now a political football and has become a money making industry of its own .

Sorry, but I cant accept ur cynical attitude, elderlies MUST be protected, not let them die because u and Ur husband want go out to the restaurante.
Dont u like how the governments are handling Covid? Go to live in a desert island or Just follow the rules without moaning, thats all.

I'm 63. Other than the infirm, most people can take care of themselves. I don't agree with lockdowns either. And yes, they have destroyed the economic vibrancy in the world. But they weren't necessary in the first place. The virus passes from person tp person. It cannot survive otherwise. And all we needed to do was break the infection chain by practicing 3 simple basic protocols (face [not chin], hand gel, distance). Really, really simple stuff. But too many of us thought we were to smart/too cool we couldn't even do that. As a consequence we're still talking about it and we've caused 3.87M people to suffer premature deaths. Many others will find they have lasting health issues. And the more it continues, the more the virus mutates, the less effective vaccines become, and the more governments will feel obliged to lock down again.  A viscous cycle that could easily be stopped by simply breaking the transmission. If this is the best we can do, god help us when something even more sinister comes along (and it will!). We only have ourselves to blame

Reading some posts above confirms that governments have done a good job brainwashing people  and installing fear..
I am 68, I continue  to live normally, go have beer, restaurants etc...
And the mask thing is a joke. Wearing a mask riding your bike or in your car, walking along the beach, but then you arrive at the pub or restairant, sit down close to your mates or family and first thing you do is take the mask off...
Ridiculous..

Bali Frog wrote:

Reading some posts above confirms that governments have done a good job brainwashing people  and installing fear..
I am 68, I continue  to live normally, go have beer, restaurants etc...
And the mask thing is a joke. Wearing a mask riding your bike or in your car, walking along the beach, but then you arrive at the pub or restairant, sit down close to your mates or family and first thing you do is take the mask off...
Ridiculous..

Ur choise, Just dont moan if u or some of ur dear have injures or worse dead from Covid (of course I hope that will never happen but with ur attitude its a possibility).

I have 10 time more chances to die from old age than of this drama...

Bali Frog wrote:

I have 10 time more chances to die from old age than of this drama...

Dont bet on it.

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Unreliable claims
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
BaliTiger wrote:

They wont pubblish ur article because its all wrong.
Elderly deserve to be protected, Covid not kill all but in most of the cases give permant bad injures to the lungs, and that can happen also to the youngest, so better u consider to stop to share fake news, it also a crime in the Indonesian law.
There Is not any "astronomical world debt and poverty", economies suffered, of course, but nothing that can not be handle.
AND COVID IS NOT A FLU!!! it has already been scientifically proven and you cannot refute why you are not a scientist.

Look to your own comments. There is no absolute scientific evidence that covid causes long term lung or health issues . Do not threaten me saying I have written misinformation when you had done this yourself.
I have continued travelling around Australia for 16 months because I can't return to Bali. And I have not met one person who doesn't want a better reaction to Covid than how it has been and are not precious about their lives. Most all these people are elderly and this is how we all think.
Another point, I have given over $20,000AU to keep 9 families alive for 16 months. I have put my money where my mouth is. Have you helped people or just have a lot to say from the safety of your home while others loose their jobs, their livelihoods.

I can tell you that I have not been to a restaurant for 16 months, and that is here, locked in Australia.
I have given over $20,000AU to families in Bali to keep them fed. And this has come from me working at age 63 and my husband, who is 74yo. I am currently working as a resort cleaner to make an income. And all this money will go to Bali.
So do not suggest I am a Fat Cat tourist missing my lassi on the beach.
What are you doing to help people?

I can tell you that I have not been to a restaurant for 16 months, and that is here, locked in Australia.
I have given over $20,000AU to families in Bali to keep them fed. And this has come from me working at age 63 and my husband, who is 74yo. I am currently working as a resort cleaner to make an income. And all this money will go to Bali.
So do not suggest I am a Fat Cat tourist missing my lassi on the beach.
What are you doing to help people?

Covid IS a flu.
It is of the SARS family, for which we didn't shut the world down in 2017.
It is a virus and not a disease.

BaliTiger wrote:

Look to your own comments. There is no absolute scientific evidence that covid causes long term lung or health issues . Do not threaten me saying I have written misinformation when you had done this yourself.
I have continued travelling around Australia for 16 months because I can't return to Bali. And I have not met one person who doesn't want a better reaction to Covid than how it has been and are not precious about their lives. Most all these people are elderly and this is how we all think.
Another point, I have given over $20,000AU to keep 9 families alive for 16 months. I have put my money where my mouth is. Have you helped people or just have a lot to say from the safety of your home while others loose their jobs, their livelihoods.

U are not a scientits, so what u think about Covid Is not relevant at all, Just a bunch of fake news and its better u stup it here, as I said its a crime in Indonesia to share fake news on social media, this Is a fact, not a threat.
Also Australian forum reject ur statement, and u come here pretendine ur statements are not fake news??? No way!!!
About helping people in need, its a good action if u keep it for urself but when you advertise around it becomes just a way to look for admiration from people, there Is a wise muslim quote about do charity that says "don't let your left hand know what you're doing with your right hand".

BaliTiger wrote:

Covid IS a flu.
It is of the SARS family, for which we didn't shut the world down in 2017.
It is a virus and not a disease.

U see? U neither know the scientific basis, Covid Is Not a flu, everybody know it nowadays and also the childre know that the virus Is Sars-Cov-2 that cause the disease called covid-19.
Mamma mia!!!

I will say again, covid is a virus. You are saying it is a disease. Well it isn't.
A disease can be treated with antibiotics.
Covid is a virus and antibiotics have no effect .
If you continue to argue with me and threaten me, then please get it correct because you are losing the argument .
I am finished commenting. Goodbye and keep helping all those families that you look after