Bringing motorcycle to Indonesia.

Hello. I am currently living in Thailand and have bought a Yamaha R6 and looking at moving to Indoneisa. I won't move without my bike. How and what ways can I bring my bike with me to Indonesia. It is a 2004 model.

Wow, As if Indonesia needs another bike. You best make sure first the tax and duty you will have to pay to bring it into the country and also if it is legal here..

How? That I don't know.

That is why I am here to try and figure all that out. I have been looking online and not having much luck, Am hoping people here can help me. I love my bike. I paid 6,000 usd for my bike and love it. Also have about another 2,000 in parts put into it as well. So not going to leave thailand without it. To much money put into it. Also bikes like that in Indonesia are too damn expensive to buy.

Genius idea. That way no tax or anything. Should work.

Without any personal experience importing a bike, a very close English friend has brought several bikes (two BSA's and a Harley) into Bali using one or another import/export company that you can find by doing a bit of homework on Google.  And, it's best to pick a company which is located nearest to your planned port of entry. 

The problem, as I am told, is that getting a pre-arranged agreement on the duty, pre import, can be difficult prior to when the bike is actually here in Indonesia.  Customs always reserves the right to re-determine the value (thus the duty) once inspected.  Overall, that seems to make sense. 

Bottom line…whatever you are told pre-shipping that the duty will be should be regarded as an estimate.

Thank you for that. Helps a lot.

shipped a Harley in 2002 from Australia paid $800.00 on cargo ship took 30 days. Till this day it has never cleared the port (Tangeng Priot) Paid over $3000.00 in bribes & was promised many times come pick it up. Upon arrival they wanted more money. Finally got the police involved & it cost more money for the police under the table by which nothing was done.
Not sure how things are in 2015?

So the bike is still there after 13 years?

Gave up a few years ago.  Sure it hit the black market hence so many bikes for sale with no papers

Hi All,
My understanding is only diplomatic staff and consuls are allowed to import  M/Cycles & cars into Indonesia ?
Whereby they are issued with Diplomatic number plates for easy recognition .

"My understanding is only diplomatic staff and consuls are allowed to import  M/Cycles & cars into Indonesia ?
Whereby they are issued with Diplomatic number plates for easy recognition."

That is most definitely not true.  As I wrote earlier, I know first hand of two expats on Bali who were able to import their motorcycles to Bali.

Moreover, how on earth would you account for all the dealers selling imported bikes across Indonesia?

Specifically relating to Harley motorcycles, there are a number of Harley clubs in Indonesia (one of them right here in Bali).  From another source I heard that the Harley club here in Denpasar was very helpful in getting a bike brought in for an expat. 

Either work with an importer, a dealership, or a club if you're absolutely adamant about bringing in your bike.