What VPN are you using?

A little background, I use Panda Dome Antivirus software (free). They also include a VPN, 150 Mb per day free. Until recently their free VPN showed my location in the US. Now it shows as the Philippines, for me that defeats the reasons I used it.

Now I'm in the hunt of a VPN, even a subscription. With a VPN, supposedly you will be free from data collecting of your searches that is sold to third parties. Also some websites ban connection to some countries including the Philippines.

In my search, I've discovered that some VPN's actually data mine their customers and sell that data to third parties.

Back to my question, what VPN are you using?

Thunder VPN. Free. US servers had the strongest signal, now Singapore. Not aware of any data restrictions.

FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:

Thunder VPN. Free. US servers had the strongest signal, now Singapore. Not aware of any data restrictions.

Thanks,  I checked it out and it doesn't seem compatible with my laptop? It won't down load and the only device it has found is my Sharp TV and says it's not compatible either.

For VPN's, I'm still concerned how they use the information about me, if I become a user. I'm not concerned about big brother watching me, I'm concerned about them and my privacy.

I  now use DuckDuckGo as my search engine and Firefox as my browser.

Hey guys

I use this VPN and it is the best i've tried! Free version is all you need but the subscription is cheap and many more options!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … &gl=US

Also i recommend this for true browser security! It was developed by the U.S. Navy for military use but has since been declassified and is legal for everyone now! IT WORKS!!

Enzyte Bob

The Tor browser uses DuckDuckGo search engine! You should love it! It can easily access the deep internet! It sits on your desktop so you use only when you need or want to!

I use Nord VPN. They have servers all over - you just select the one you want.  I use several IT products from Norway, including my secure email, since they have the world's strictest privacy laws.

Good choice! They have good engineering as well as good privacy laws!
Vær trygg og vær veldig privat person! I grew up in a family whose parents were born in Norway!

Enzyte Bob wrote:

Thanks,  I checked it out and it doesn't seem compatible with my laptop? It won't down load and the only device it has found is my Sharp TV and says it's not compatible either.

For VPN's, I'm still concerned how they use the information about me, if I become a user. I'm not concerned about big brother watching me, I'm concerned about them and my privacy.

I  now use DuckDuckGo as my search engine and Firefox as my browser.

I use Thunder VPN on my android phone. I also use duckduckgo.com due to Google's biased censorship.

I've been using the free version of ProtonVPN. It does the job for free

Yup i use it also! But i moved to
gold level

I use ExpressVPN.  Not the cheapest but in my opinion they are the best.  US NEXTFLIX content with no hiccups.  Great support.   It can be used stand alone on a PC or on a compatible VPN router or, as in my case, a router running their software.  This allows me to select which device is using or not using the VPN.

I have also been using Express VPN for about a year and have been very happy with it. Their subscription covers 5 devices, or if you can load it on your WiFi router (which counts as 1 device) you can then connect as many as you need.

blacksheepjuno wrote:

blacksheepjuno ~

I switched from Thunder to Proton.

Thanks ~

Is anyone watching Hulu with their VPN? I used Tunnel Bear on my last visit, and it worked good for Netflix, and I could access my US tv cloud for my recorded shows. If I can access Hulu, they now offer US programming with cloud recording. Thanks and Salamat Po

I have ExpressVPN, Has anyone tried YouTube TV or HBO max with their VPN?

I use express VPN it works on Hulu, Disney, ESPN, and of course netflix. Fails on amazon prime video.

blacksheepjuno wrote:

blacksheepjuno ~

I switched from Thunder to Proton.

Thanks ~

I'm now using Proton (FREE), from previous recommendations on this forum, I'm very happy.

Caveat:  Without VPN download 81mps. . . .Without VPN upload 20 mps
                    With VPN download 20 mps. . . .With VPN upload  4 mps

So I only use it on certain websites where the Philippines is blocked, like my local newspaper in the states.

Hi All,
I use NordVPN seems to work on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Not sure about the others. I hope this helps - Jeff

Enzyte Bob wrote:

A little background, I use Panda Dome Antivirus software (free). They also include a VPN, 150 Mb per day free. Until recently their free VPN showed my location in the US. Now it shows as the Philippines, for me that defeats the reasons I used it.

Now I'm in the hunt of a VPN, even a subscription. With a VPN, supposedly you will be free from data collecting of your searches that is sold to third parties. Also some websites ban connection to some countries including the Philippines.

In my search, I've discovered that some VPN's actually data mine their customers and sell that data to third parties.

Back to my question, what VPN are you using?

Yes, some of these VPN companies are shady. Some of the info are misleading, some actually log your activity and will freely give it to any lawyer with a court summons or maybe just a lawyer with a letter. p2p throttling, netflix, hulu, etc - outside region block, Data hoarding for financial purposes, list goes on.

Research on it is rather fruitless as on the surface, they all seem to do the same but in reality, they are different from one another. Reading their website doesn't help, They all sell you a promise. You need to dig farther. Reddit

A lot of these VPN companies are actually owned by a single company. Different branding

Most Important question is what is your usage of this  VPN for ?

if you need absolute privacy, then use TOR with a really good VPN.

do you need fixed IP ? Are you worried about traffic logging? WIll you be using p2p ? streaming services? Having a casual chat with Snowden?

What device are you using it on? Android? Windows? Mac? or all ? Go Linux.

Do you need to access sites that are normally blocked?  or do you fancy a encryption level that is proprietary and not a open standard?

myself I use private internet access, I switch from vyprVPN (this was the only suitable VPN back in my stay in China days). Been using PIA for almost 4 or 6 years now. Never had a issue, but here's the caveat, I only need it for traffic encryption and geo location. The encryption doesn't even have to be anything spectacular, AES128 on  openVPN is good enough for me and probaby enough for 99% of general users.

I love their chrome extension but it's been having some problems lately, I just use the app for now as workaround.

vyprVPN has a encryption called Cameleon (in house built from the ground up), PIA has wireguard (opensource)

another caveat... in 2019 Kape bought PIA, Kape has a bad rep in the VPN business but as far as I can tell to date, PIA has not changed policies but some users have jumped ship.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VPN/comments/m … son_table/https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … =231869418

You can do more research but the chart is a very useful tool.

On my ExpressVPN Prime won't work through the Seattle IP address so I tried San Francisco and it worked. I was fooling around with the Netherlands IP and all hell broke loose with google. Sometime I have to go through 10 of those I'm not a robot screens to use google search. I'm all DuckDuckGo now.

Don't forget they have many more under “all”
I'm getting angry with them anyway. I use an Asus router flashed with express vpn. I just upgraded my fiber to 300 mbps but I was getting half that even with no vpn. I reflashed  to Asus and now got full 300+. ExpressVPN admitted they have a speed problem and are working on it.

I haven't had that problem with Nord VPN, good luck peace and love

I bought ExpressVPN to try to get a better selection of movies from Netflix, it turns out the content you are offered depends on your I.P. Adddress from which they know what country your in. After some conversations with friends and family in the UK I realized there were so many movies they were all watching in the UK that I couldn't watch here in the Philippines. I watch Netflix movies through Minix Neo U series Android TV boxes and when I installed ExpressVPN Netflix would no longer work.

Unfortunately I have been unable to find any of the popular VPN's that offer a free trial period and I really don't want to waste even more money on another product that doesn't work.

If you choose a vpn location in the country you want you will get an up address from that country. The address that you see like 192.168.1.x is not the address they see.
However, there are other ways they can tell. I was never able to get my Roku hidden and ExpressVPN could not figure it out.

Nord VPN has always worked well for me.

I am using Avast and there's Avast free anti-virus and you can do a few add-ons. Been using Avast for many years without problems and fair add-on prices!

I used several VPNs over the years and considered IPVanish as good as any until I tried to renew and it didn't go through, or that is what I thought. A couple weeks ago I was checking my Visa statement (something I rarely do) and saw I was being billed quarterly by IPVanish for over a year. Turns out when I tried to renew I left a letter off my new email address so it was my fault. The person I was chatting with refunded me the latest of the 4 billings. He said they only go back 30 days for errors such as mine. I emailed customer service and received a prompt reply informing me I would also receive a refund for the other 3 billings since I never used the service. IPVanish treated me very well so I thought I would give them a mention.