Some mortgage advice required

I sponsor a young man in Nairobi.
And want to help him buy his own house.
I will put  a good size deposit on the house and want
him to take out a mortgage of about 2 mill kshs, that he pays off in 10 years.

However the mortgage interest rates in Kenya are very high, nearly 17%.
So the mortgage is expensive !
I believe there is a product called a HOSP,  which offers lower intersest.
(  maybe 14% )
I am not sure if this is a type of endowment mortgage, which if it was i wouldnt trust !

Could someone give me some advice on the best course of action ?

Robyboy

I have attached some info below to define what the Home Ownership Savings Plan is:

"Home Ownership Savings Plan (HOSP) as a savings plan established by an ‘approved institution' and registered with the commissioner for Income Tax for receiving and holding funds in trust for depositors. It is a tax-sheltered savings, plan whose main objective was to enable individual depositors to save for home acquisition or development and was introduced in Kenya in 1995. As per Section 22C (8) of the Income Tax Act, an ‘approved institution' means a bank or financial institution registered under the Banking Act (Cap. 488), an insurance company licensed under the Insurance Act (Cap. 487) or a building society registered under the Building Societies Act (Cap. 489)".

Only HFC Group offer such a plan, currently.  It looks to me to have some similarities with Endowment schemes, so it may not be a good option in your case.

Also bear in mind that Kenyan mortgage interest rates do tend to be quite high.

Do you think that there would be a way to purchase the property yourself, to reduce any issues with cash transfer, then subsequently transfer the title.  Of course to purchase property in Kenya you would have to apply for a Kenya Revenue Authority PIN.

It is not an endowment mortgage.HOSP is basically a savings plan for homeownership and offers lower interest rates as compared to traditional mortgage facilities. The desirability of this plan was primarily the tax exemptions that were extended to those saving under it.

However, the tax relief was withdrawn by the government to ostensibly increase tax collection which move is likely to affect the terms offered under said product.

There are various ways to go about it depending on what your ultimate goal is. I'm happy to help should you need further assistance.

I understand, but the endowment mortgage (at least the one we had in the UK) was also essentially a savings plan that would fund the interest on the mortgage, pay off the capital cost of your home and leave you with some additional lump sum.  It was a financial product that was pushed quite hard at one point.

Unfortunately for many the plan failed to pay off the capital sum of the property at the end of the term. 

Am not saying that the HOSP is exactly the same, but it does appear to share some similarities to endowment mortgages.