Language and food

Hi, I am American moving to Senegal,  Dakar or chies. Does anyone know of someone who could teach me wolof long distance at first and then on an ongoing basis? And even help me with cooking as my husband has a large family. I expect to be there around the first of August
Jere jeff

Hi Jeff I'm arriving on the 1st of August as well, going to live and work in Dakar, and am interested in learning Wolof too. Let me know if you find anyone. I have looked online but so far have not really found anything apart from some vocabulary lists with basic words.

Marion

Hi Marion, Jere jeff means thank you.  And I will look for us. Thank you

I am a 15 year old teenager and I will teach you French and Wolof if you want

Hi ,

I can try to connect you with my sister. She works in IT at Dakar. If she is available.

Cheers!

Thank you very much. I am only available on Saturdays and Sundays.  How do you want to connect? Skype?

@Marion van Engelen

How about actually writing something when you reply to posts.
This forum is for the exchange of information and advice between members.

Sorry @stumpy , I meant to write a personal reply to someone and made a mistake to start writing on the forum. I was then unable to delete the draft message. Little tech glitzch of the system I think. I had to put in a character to be able to get out of it. This is not what I make a habit of, promise.

Peace and blessings Schellie. We might be cousins. I'm a Johnson too, living in Saint-Louis Senegal. I have a Wolof teacher named Usmane Bane who happens to teach Wolof and English in Thies. I have never met him in person but I believe he has a School in Thies Where he teaches language. For now, I'm a part of a WhatsApp group that studies with him online on Sundays via WhatsApp. He can tutor online one on one or you can join the group (I think-I'll confirm). Sunday class is free but he welcomes donations. I also have another Wolof teacher, El Hajj, who is based in Dakar and facilitates another class (Also on Sunday) via Zoom. That group is currently closed but I can connect you with him and you can speak with him directly about classes. That way you have two options.

As for cooking, I wouldn't worry about that until you arrive. 99% of the women here cook, clean and much more and those looking for income would love the opportunity to help you. They are Master Homemakers. Unless you're already adapted to Senegalese food, you may find yourself more concerned about what YOU will eat here, ESPECIALLY, if you are at all health conscious. If you are, as you are looking for help, I'd recommend a young lady/girl who you can show how to prepare your family's food the way YOU like it. An older woman may be more set in her ways and may use ingredients that aren't exactly health-wise. Depends on your preference though. There's so much to share. You can email me at [email protected] then we can connect via WhatsApp regarding the Wolof classes.

Hey Cousin (LOL)
My husband's mother's side is from St' Louis. I was there in 2016 for the day.  I will definitely join the what's app group and try to connect with you.  I have submitted resumes on three occasions for teacher jobs, and nothing.  We had planned on moving in August, but my husbands says I wouldn't be able to handle things just yet.  He wants me to visit for a few months a couple of times before committing all the way. I should be visiting in July for a month.  Hope to see you.

I am sure you'll find lots of keen people trying to help you for a small tip.

Hello Schellie

I moved to Senegal about 11 months ago with my husband who is Senegalese and our 16 year old son from Canada. I can offer you help and support as I just went through a huge move that was interesting while overwhelming. Let me know if you want to get in touch

Aimee

Hi,

You can call me once in dakar for your wolof courses.

Hello,
I am Diarra, 21 y.o.
I am Senegalese and really thrilled to meet new people around the world and learn about cultures.
I speak Wolof, french, english and a little bit of spanish so feel free to contact me, it would be a pleasure to teach you wolof (freely, since I am not an expert 😂😂😂)

Hi Diarra,

If you are still interested in helping with wolof, please contact me. My number on whatsapp or Signal is ***

And to Khadimoussa, I am interested in your wolof whatsapp group(s).

Thanks!

Blessings,
Joel

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Please do not post contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Joel

Unsafe to post contact details here on the open forum. Use the message system to exchange details

Greetings. Pray you are in good health and great spirits. I'm looking for someone to teach me Wolof. I live in a small village close to Pink Lake. Thanks

Hello mamajunie0001,

You should post an advert in the Senegal classifieds section.

This will definitely help you find someone to teach you Wolof.

Best of luck,

Cheryl

Expat.com team