Cash into Malaysia

Hi
Friend recently entered Kuala Lumpur on a work contract with excess amount of cash. Money was taken away and he went into the quarantine period. He has now been told that he needs to prove he hasn't brought the money in for "money laundering" purposes...Can anyone suggest anything as to what he needs to do or can do as I have also been reading scary stories about people who came in with X amount of cash and when ready to leave the country had issues getting THEIR money out again with them!!!
All suggestions/ advice welcome
Thanks
:)

This is a common problem for people from some countries, or people from any country that the authorities consider suspicious in whatever way.
The way around it is to send paperwork from house sales, wage slips, or whatever other documents have that show where the money came from.
I've been questioned several times about where money has come from (international transfers), but the problem goes away very quickly if you show them proof.

Hope that helps.

ChaeChae68 wrote:

Hi
Friend recently entered Kuala Lumpur on a work contract with excess amount of cash. Money was taken away and he went into the quarantine period. He has now been told that he needs to prove he hasn't brought the money in for "money laundering" purposes...Can anyone suggest anything as to what he needs to do or can do as I have also been reading scary stories about people who came in with X amount of cash and when ready to leave the country had issues getting THEIR money out again with them!!!
All suggestions/ advice welcome
Thanks
:)

Malaysian regulations allow people to bring in an amount not exceeding US$10,000 in any currency. You didn't mention how much your friend brought in, but if it is more than that he needed to declare it and if it was less then there should not have been any issues at Malaysian Customs.

Your friend could just provide a bank statement for the past 6 months from his home country to show he has a reasonable balance and that the money was already in his account. Additionally (anything extra always makes a stronger case) he could provide proof of income from any other sources such as salary, a house sale, proceeds from an inheritance, car sale etc. Proof of having paid tax in his last location might also be useful. He needs to keep all the originals and hand over only copies.

open a account with REMITLY , and you can transfer money from your bank in home country to Malaysian bank for pick up , when i lived in Phillipines i used to send money from U.K. to myself through Palawan Pawnshop , never had a problem and as i am comng to K.L. i saw that Remitly send to Malaysia as well