New members of the Belgium forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Hi all,

Newbie on the Belgium forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Belgium if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello I'm Kylie just recently moved here in Belgium, and I am looking for a job but it's so hard to find without knowing the native languages and I can only speak English.

Hi!
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of jobs are you applying for? I'm moving next month and this is a big worry of mine too ):

Any jobs that I think I can do; customer service, waitress, dishwasher, hotel staff etc. It's so hard to find even one because  most of the employer requires you to speak atleast one of the languages in the country and I don't how to speak the native languages so it would be very difficult for us.

Hello! My name is Nadia and I have been living in the US my whole life. I am working on my bachelors in English Literature (currently a junior). I would like to move to Belgium in August 2022 to be with my long distance partner of 9 months. Unfortunately, because I've lived a sheltered life, I haven't been able to gain much experience in anything really, therefore I fear it will be difficult to get a job. However, I am working harder than ever now and I am hopeful that in a little over a year, I will be able to make the biggest step in my life.

Nadia0809 wrote:

Hello! My name is Nadia and I have been living in the US my whole life. I am working on my bachelors in English Literature (currently a junior). I would like to move to Belgium in August 2022 to be with my long distance partner of 9 months. Unfortunately, because I've lived a sheltered life, I haven't been able to gain much experience in anything really, therefore I fear it will be difficult to get a job. However, I am working harder than ever now and I am hopeful that in a little over a year, I will be able to make the biggest step in my life.

Hi Nadia and welcome among us.

Don't worry, we haven't been devouring American women visiting us for a long time.

We even have KFC/BK/McDo/...

Take the opportunity to learn French and open yourself up to local culture and tradition

Hi!

My name is Arantza Bayod, from Spain. I arrived in Brussels one and a half years ago with my family. Soon after our arrival, covid kicked-in... being out of social life, I took the chance to start the online business I had been designing before moving to BXL. I am so happy I launched my project here!
I also want to improve my French and Dutch skills (was previously living in The Netherlands)!

Great to belong this community!
Arantza

HI My Name is Lara,
I am moving to Belgium in May 2021.
I have a 17 year old son who will be attending
school in September.
I am looking for a short term furnished apartment in the Ghent area for May 2021.
Could turn into a longer term rental if it is good. Any advise please.

Hello Team,
Am Naga, I have been living in Africa  ( South and East)  for last 15 years - different countries, planning to move to West Africa , any one can help me to improve my French ,
My plan is  to come to Brussels for learning French ( I have already completed my DELF A2 level). Due to COVID 19 my plans have changed, still trying

Any help on line ..or practice oral french when you have time

Hello All

My name is Sergio and I will be moving to Belgium with my wife in July/August 2021.  I am Brazilian/American and my wife is American. I can speak Portuguese, English and Italian. I have been living in the US (Dallas, TX) for the last 15 years. I also lived in Milan, Italy and in Rio de Janeiro and in São Paulo, Brazil.

Hi,

I moved here in January and now that things are opening up, I was wondering where is a good place to volunteer. I'm a fluent English speaker, grew up in the US but have lived around the world. I will be taking my assimilation course in September but before then, any ideas of where I can volunteer.

Nemo Kimiri wrote:

Hi,

I moved here in January and now that things are opening up, I was wondering where is a good place to volunteer. I'm a fluent English speaker, grew up in the US but have lived around the world. I will be taking my assimilation course in September but before then, any ideas of where I can volunteer.

Hi Nemo,
If you are not familiar with Dutch or French language. Try taking the classes. With English  can not help/volunteer much in Belgium.

Good day everyone.

My name is Adeyola. I intend to move to Anwerp in a few months.

I don't mind my kids attending the local primary and high schools but I am at loss what to choose. They are 3, 8 and 12 yrs.

Or may be I should just get an apartment first before I decide? I would like an appartement and primary and secondary schools close to the the University of Antwerp.

Thank you in anticipation of your kind responses and nice to meet you all.

Hello everyone

I am Sachin from India. I will be moving to brussels around August 2021 for my PhD.

Hello Adeyola,

Depending on where you are right now, you could come in a few days to see the area before you relocate.

Or, After relocation, you could stay in a temporary accommodation e.g. Airbnb before renting.

Based on what I have heard renting could be a bit demanding with deposit and other legal stuff!

So, you don't want to commit to a short term rent, if its not your preferred area etc

All the best.

Thank you Kaytom.

I was wondering, meanwhile , if it is possible to bring my family with me on my first arrival. The visa site says enrolled students are to travel down first to secure accommodation before the family joins them.

And how easy is it to change tourist visa ( type C) to a long-term visa (type D)?

Hi Everyone!

My name is Cat and I have been living in Belgium since 2012.  I love the country, and my long time partner and I are finally tying the knot in June!

Hiii catMR
Congratulations and best wishes

Please contact an immigration lawyer.
It's not worth putting your family through all sorts of hassle, but where are you based at the moment?

Hello all Expats,

My name is Selo (Selahattin). I moved to Belgium last September 2020. I am working as Customer Relations Manager. I am from Istanbul, Turkey..

I am married, with a beautiful daughter (17 yrs old). I will need your advice and suggestions for University in Brussels for my daughter.

Have a wonderful day ahead!!

Selo

Email: [link moderated]

My name is Youssef Chakir, i have 22 years, I have a high school diploma and a automotive technician diploma.
I am now studying at a law university, and now I want to emigrate and work in Belgium or volunteer.
Thank you for reading my post and I hope you will help me. Please feel free to reach out to me via email.

sincerely
Youssef Chakir

Hey everyone, my name is Conor McCreery -my wife Crystal, and our three little are preparing for a year (or two) of adventure by moving to Belgium from Toronto.

We're excited for the kids to continue their French learning, while having a chance to expose them to a different style of life - and of course travel as much as we have time (and can afford -  LOL)

I'm sure we will have lots of questions, around a good place to live in Wallonia, finding rental accomodation, and making sure we're set up properly (me and the kids also hold Irish passports, but my wife is a Canadian national only).

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

C

Sachin K Bhoi wrote:

Hello everyone

I am Sachin from India. I will be moving to brussels around August 2021 for my PhD.

Welcome.. 🙏

Hello, I plan on moving from London to Belgium so I can live with my partner in July. I plan on keeping my current job and working remotely full time. I'm not quite sure how to start the moving process or what formalities need to be done in what order, especially since I have dual citizenship - Polish and English! Is there a checklist of documents that I should go through so I can leave the UK with peace of mind? Are things like taxes something my employer should be making arrangements for? All advice would be much appreciated!

Hey
I am planning on moving to Liege from India for my master's and I am so excited. I am having trouble finding a place currently as I don't know where to look exactly. I am looking forward to come to Belgium :)

Hello everyone. I'm Ailyn. Living in Leuven since November 2020. My husband and I are looking forward to meet new friends. I have just finished learning Dutch 1.1. On to the next level this July.

Hello everyone,

I was born in Belgium, but used to live in Spain for my studies. When I graduated I moved to Morocco to work, live and travel around.

Due to Covid I decided to return back to Belgium and started in the real estate agency of my mother. I wanted to stay connected with other expats and turned my experience into a job: A relocation consultant for expats.

So if you are an expat moving to Belgium, I will be happy to assist you. We don't only find you the ideal accommodation, we also offer other relocation services. See my profile.

I am looking forward to meet other expats and exchange travel experiences!

Kind regards,
Lynn

It seems i am the only Asian here.
My name is Linda. I am originally from China.
I have been travel around and stayed in Los Angeles with my kids in the past few years. We will relocate to Belgium in August, and kids need to school.
We are all fluent in English and Chinese, i can speak some Spanish as well. Any suggestions for International School in Brussel? Also, is Belgian nice to Asian? Hope to make new friends here.

Hi my name is Kiril. I have a BA in marine navigation but since my early childhood year I have been having a keen interest into tech stuff.
So what am I doing here:  I am looking for a way to move in Belgium and at the same time (or nearly same) to apply for free IT courses (in WebDev, SAP consultant, Linux Admin etc. ) provided to the unemployed (like myself). To make It a bit more clear I will elaborate on what my aim is. I have taken quite a liking into the BeCode.org organization which does just what I need (provides the courses i so badly need). If any of you have any other organization which provide such services to the unemployed please feel free to share.
  Why am I still not in Belgium: It turns out it is the bureaucracy I can't make any headway with. I have no idea how to apply with an employment agency and how to become eligible for such free courses that I am interested in.
So basically these few lines sums  it all up on the 'why' and 'what' I am doing here. And I am counting on the advices I can get from you guys. :)

Hi! My name is Angie, I've been living in Belgium as a student in the past two years and now finally I found a job and in the process of gathering my documentations to apply for a freelance! I am completely lost on the procedure so any help would ne appreciated (especially for the motivation letter lol)

Hi All

My name is Andrew. I've been in Belgium for almost 12 years. Living near Ypres. I've just received my M card but seem to have lost the ability to open any of the Government websites. .

Hello I'm Will just moved from Portugal to Belgium.
I am looking for tips and recommendations about the country. I am trying to adapt a new life here. Only speak in Portuguese or English.

Have a great day everyone.
Best,

Hi, my name is Rachel and have just moved to Belgium one week ago from Sydney to live with my boyfriend. Currently looking for an apartment to rent in Gent and also for a job which is hard when I only speak English! Any advice is welcome :)

Hi

I'm hoping to reach Brussels, belgium by September 1st .  How is the situation there. I'm bringing my 10 months kid with me. Also, how much time will it take to get RP card?

Any suggestions on getting earlier.

Thanks for the answers!

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I would love to move to Belgium from the Caribbean for a new start. I am currently doing my bachelors in Business Management with the University of Sunderland. I already have a Diploma in Accounting and Management. I am looking for any help I can get in locating a job there as a junior accountant or a clerical worker. I also have training in medical transcription and court transcription and is a very good typist as well. Any help that can be given to me to help me relocate, getting a job and apartment and generally getting myself set up will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the answers and help.

Expat krishna wrote:

Hi

I'm hoping to reach Brussels, belgium by September 1st .  How is the situation there. I'm bringing my 10 months kid with me. Also, how much time will it take to get RP card?

Any suggestions on getting earlier.

Thanks for the answers!

Welcome to the wonder land..

All the govt process timings are increased so depends on luck and on you case how much time it will take for RP.

Belgium is quite okay. Just let you know if you are coming for make sure start looking for a place to stay. As rent the place could take time.

Cheers

kirov.K wrote:

Hi my name is Kiril. I have a BA in marine navigation but since my early childhood year I have been having a keen interest into tech stuff.
So what am I doing here:  I am looking for a way to move in Belgium and at the same time (or nearly same) to apply for free IT courses (in WebDev, SAP consultant, Linux Admin etc. ) provided to the unemployed (like myself). To make It a bit more clear I will elaborate on what my aim is. I have taken quite a liking into the BeCode.org organization which does just what I need (provides the courses i so badly need). If any of you have any other organization which provide such services to the unemployed please feel free to share.
  Why am I still not in Belgium: It turns out it is the bureaucracy I can't make any headway with. I have no idea how to apply with an employment agency and how to become eligible for such free courses that I am interested in.
So basically these few lines sums  it all up on the 'why' and 'what' I am doing here. And I am counting on the advices I can get from you guys. :)

Try this might helpfull: http://www.intecbrussel.be/

I m Tom. New in Belgium, I m'working in a school.

Bad weather but good people here, I'm eager to discover more about them... And about how to discover them :)

I arrived here a few months ago and started workinh within 2 weeks of receiving my visa. There are many jobs for English speakers. I have not been without work ever.

Hello everyone!

We are moving to Brussels from Dubai in mid October this year. We are a family of 4 with 2 young kids aged 3.6 and 1.11 years old. We speak English. We have planning to reside in the communes - Ixelles or Woluwe Saint Lambert. However, we are open to suggestions and change. Though my office is located in 1000 Bruxelles, I am planning to stay in a commune with good public schools.

I would be grateful if someone can please shed light on the following:

1) Will it be easy to admit in preschool and creche for my kids, considering our timing of arrival?
2) Since we don't speak French, emailing all the schools in English inquiring about vacancies would be a good idea. Kindly suggest alternate means of finding vacancies considering our initial language barriers.
3) Considering 2 young kids, do I have to look out for 2 bedroom apartments only or can we stay in 1 bed room too?
4) Any suggestions about the communes (with creches and preschools) where I can get decent 2 bedroom apartment for 1000 euros. I am checking immoweb. However, any inside information would be more valuable.
5) Job prospects for my wife in the hospitality industry. She has studied and worked in UK for 5 years.

Thanks again!

Kind regards,
Amit

Closed