Misc. questions about Cuenca

1) Any estimate of how many Americans are living in Cuenca?
2) Is there an American Baptist church there?  If not, is there an interest in starting one?
3) Can a diabetic get insulin there? Any idea of the cost of prescriptions compared to the states?
4) Are there any american banks there or in Quito?
5) Can americans buy health insurance there or is the medical care so inexpensive that you don't need it?
6) How long does it take to drive from Quito to Cuenca?
7) Can someone who is basically a meat and potatoes kind of eater get by on the food there?

Hello gatorcreek! :)

For the health insurance, I may suggest you our partner Bupa, you will be able to get free quotes and advice about health insurance in Cuenca.

For the bank, you may try our partner HSBC.

I hope that other members will help you with the other questions.

Good luck,
Harmonie.:)

Hi Gatercreek,

You can get health insurance and it is cheaper than USA,
Insuline is available and the price is between 45 and 55 dolars.
Potatoes are a big deal in Ecuador ,easy to find everywhere and different varieties.No problem with meat either.Ecuador food is very good.
Banks...most american use Banco de Pichincha because it is also in the USA but there are some other choices to get your money down here,Cuencanos are working really hard to make foreigners' live easier.
Take care,

Tania

Last Dec. we stayed at Poseda del mar in Cuenca and there was a bookstore nearby, owned by an American couple that had been in Ecuador for more than 25 yars. Any idea of names and contacts?

The name of the place is Carolina Bookstore in Hermano Miguel y Calle Larga,but I don't know
how to contact him through email or celular phone ,try to Google it.

Take care.

Tania

Tnx Tania. I remember it now. I googled bookstores but will try Carolina.

Google is your friend :)

I'm going to jump into this forum...What about contacts/glasses? we are planning to move next month. are there any American ATMs?Fee associated with it?

Hi Sharlied,
You can get contact lenses and prescribed glasses,they are a little expensive for the average cuencano.There are ATM machines everywhere,and the banks make it easy to open an account.Let me know if you want too know more about Cuenca.

T.T:P