Single, professional woman considering a job offer in Kuwait

Hi there

I'm ideally looking to hear from other single women who have made the move to Kuwait about their experiences.

I am considering a job offer and would be moving to Kuwait next year. I am single and usually used to a big group of friends and an active social life. My questions are as follows:

How easy was it to make friends?
What is there to do in terms of hobbies and pastimes?
What is the working culture like? I would be in charge of a largeish team and wondered if anyone has experience as a female senior manager in the Middle East?
What is life as a single woman like? Is dating difficult?

Thanks so much in advance!

Hi there,

I know you have requested a reply from other women. However, i came across your msg and thought ill give it a quick reply. I have lived in Kuwait my whole life, infact, i was born here so i may be used and adapted with life here. but generally i would say life in Kuwait is easy. There could be not so many outdoor activities in most of the year due to the bad weather. but in times like we are now (November-march) weather is nice and people start doing outdoor activities more often.

making friends or dating is dependable on your surrounding group. it is just like any where else, there are friendly and unfriendly people. chose wisely by whom you are surrounded.

you can any hobby you decide to do, i dont see any reason why there would be a certain hobby you have where ever you live now, that you wouldnt be able to do here. unless you are nudist ofcourse lol

Hope this helps.

Sspegafrdg wrote:

Hi there

I'm ideally looking to hear from other single women who have made the move to Kuwait about their experiences.

I am considering a job offer and would be moving to Kuwait next year. I am single and usually used to a big group of friends and an active social life. My questions are as follows:

What is the working culture like? I would be in charge of a largeish team and wondered if anyone has experience as a female senior manager in the Middle East?

Thanks so much in advance!

Hi there,,

Although I'm a man,, but will try my best to give you a clear picture on living and working in Kuwait, since i was born, raised and currently working here in Kuwait..

As fir "social life", Kuwait is conservative society, however, people are open minded and they are so friendly, also Kuwait is considered amongst the top countries around the world in safety and low crimes levels.

As for "economic", situation here is facing Corona pandemic issues, which slows down the economy wheel, however there are good expectations for the next year, as a new parliament is elected 2 days ago, which enhances the possibilities of refreshing the economy.

at the end, i would like to say that, it's a worthy experiment to come to Kuwait, to live and work, and you can count on me as a friend who will support you in this great experiment.

Regards,
Abdullatif

Ahoi there lassie, i'll give a wee bit of info:

depends on you; how approachable, introverted, extroverted etc. alot of people complain theres no place to meet and make new friends, but they're just lazy. i'll make an assumption if i might, you're Scottish, i take it you have played or are familiar with rugby? there is an entire scene for that here in kuwait - but you need to do some google-fu, i'll make it easier for you - they're called the kuwait scorpions, they have both social members and playing members.

kuwait boasts alot to do, but again, depends on you. going to desert with friends, sports groups, group exercise, cycling, running, rugby etc. you name it, its there. i'm being very pro-sports coz that is what i enjoy and that is how i found a LARGE Community of like-minded individuals - needless to say there are running events etc. theres also meetup, the website, which has social gatherings in kuwait.

most of the time, its similar to the world abroad. i've never had the pleasure of reporting to a female manager, but i take it since you're in that positon of seniority, you've dealt with your fair share of skeptics, chauvinists, narcissists etc. its would be similar here.

again, not difficult but you must err on the side of caution. firstly, bit of advice, do not flaunt the "single woman" line on a public forum, it gets a lot of creeps interested. secondly, expand your network through coupled friends, married etc. or other groups and then see it from there, in private mention you are single. kuwait is advanced in that it also has tinder, where people look for "actual love", as in long term relationships - do not ask me how i know this, i am happily married now :P

so you get the gist, anything else, feel free to ask.

hello
i am here in Kuwait along 15 years ago. i prefer to make friends from other nationalities. especially
USA and European. but i have been noting that American and European peoples do not like Arabian peoples
the USA and European peoples prefer Indians and other nationalities on Arabic peoples  even they are live in Arabic country like Kuwait
in fact i would like to tell Arabic countries to terminate and remove all American and European peoples from all Arabic countries  because these peoples hate Arab peoples so much

Hi, I don't know if it is a bit late. I can tell you is that is not easy, of course, but I met wonderful people of all the nationalities.
I'm European and I'm sorry for the comment before, but one of my best friends here is a Jordanian hijabi woman from whom I am learning so much and I also have friends from Egypt, Lebanon, Kuwait... all kinds of nationalities.

If you are an open person I highly recommend you the experience, I consider this as a personal experience to grow.