Registration at the commune - contract on my friend's name

Hi,

I will soon move in with my friend (she is from Belgium, whereas I am not). However, rental contract will be on her name as she will 100% stay in that apartment for a year and I might move out after 7-8 months. She does not have to register at the commune, while I have to. Is it possible to register at the new commune and prolong my ID (as I am already living in Belgium for 2 years; but a different commune than the I am planning to move to) without having a rental contract with my name on it, but I will live there?

Thank you for your help!

Hey,

The rental contract being in someone elses name should not be a problem, when I moved to Belgium my partner had already found a place a moved in a few weeks before to start work, so had signed all the documents on her own. The commune didnt care, they just verified I lived there with the normal police check.

As for moving inside Belgium, I can only comment on Brussels, but all that was required was my ID card and paying a small admin fee (About 5 Euros). Nothing else was required.

If you re moving between Brussels communes some allow you to change details on IRIS Box now, although a lot of Communes still arent on it (Ixelles does, I know that).

Hope that helps, but my experience also suggests some communes are much more of a ball ache about the admin than others. Can be pot luck at some stages.

Thank you so much for your response. It is very useful  :cheers: