Anyone here have any exp building with surface bonded cement?

Did some construction with that back home.

Notice that a problem here is with moisture seepage leading to mold, paint peeling etc..

There are some 'homemade' recipes to avoid costs of importing 'QuikWall' etc., but not a lot of luck talking it through at the local block supplier.

Advantages:

No mortar required, tensile strength of wall exceeds tensile strength of blocks, just stack blocks and 'stucco'.

So it look to me like the normal method is: Lay blocks in mortar, then stucco, then paint.

In this case, just dry stack, apply surface bonding as the 'stucco' w/ the interior color already mixed in.  So thus gain full waterproofing and avoid laying the blocks in mortal, waterproofing and painting with a stronger finished product.

Kind regards,

JR

Jay, I have been building structures all over the Caribbean for many years and the standard approach of masonry blockwork with internal and external sand cement render with external masonry paint works well and cases of damp are rare imo.

It is a climatic scenario. DR can be wet but in a few days the sun will shine with high temperatures. This is not the classic northern environment of high humidity and low temperatures externally and higher ones internally that can lead to damp and mould.

That said precuations more than what is the norm here should be taken.

I would always recommend a dpm below the slab on grade and tucked in to the first block.

I would also recommend 8" blocks fully filled rather than the 6" norm here and partially filled. A good overhang of the roof is recommended. Use a stronger sand cement render externally and select a good external paint. An elastomeric paint is a good option.

I have seen the effects of masonry structures after a major hurricane as a building advisor to loss adjusters in SXM after Maria and typical Caribbean masonry structures did much better than other novel construction types. Don't ever consider an external stud and render external walls even with a proprietry stucco solution in the Caribbean and don't buy into such properties is my advice. Stick to the proven solutions.

I am reading with interest but have ask for clarification on what you mean by "dpm". Cheers

I'm pretty sure that's a dampness proof membrane.

Yes, damp proof membrane, to prevent dampness rising through the ground floor slab.  Again this is not the temporate northern hemisphere climate  where moisture hangs around for long times with potential for mould. 1000 guage polythene is sufficient for this, suitably lapped at joints and bedded into blockwork foundation masonry. Not done often here in domestic dwellings from what I see. Actually, often a concrete slab is substituted by a thick screed upon which the tiles or paint finish is applied.

I would particularly recommend this in areas where the the substrate soils do not drain well.

Another recommendation if you can find it. Apply anti-termite spray below the slab and foundations and around the building slab. This is in the building code in many of the Caribbean islands. Those damn bugs get everywhere if unchecked and you could quickly have termite trails eminating from electrical boxes and the like. A polytheme dpm is the next best solution.

Thank you Lex!

Exactly what I was looking for.  Great, seasoned advice.

Jay

Great points - I have recorded and will use when I build. Thanks