Apartment search websites in DR?

My mother and I are traveling to the North Shore tomorrow to scope out possible places to live. Is there a local version of Craigslist where locals list apartments for rent? Have no idea which area we would choose just yet.

There are quite a few websites (https://www.livio.com/directorio/negoci … amp;page=1) but they can be difficult to navigate and often include the difficult to rent or overpriced places that have been listed for weeks or months. 

You also have to take into consideration there is a "word of mouth" network that supplies the better/more economical apartments with a steady stream of new tenants so they can be difficult to find.

North coast apartments go for premium prices as well. As an example: I live in a comfortable 3/2 apartment in San Cristobal for 200 dollars a month. A comparative example on the north coast can run 3 or 4 times as much. 

A time-honored technique is to ask everyone you interact with if they know of any good deals and don't be in a rush to find a place.

A lot of it depends on being in the right place at the right time.

Find a place on AirBnb for a couple weeks. Get to know where you would like to stay longer term. There are numerous possibilities depending on what you are looking for.

StanR wrote:

Find a place on AirBnb for a couple weeks. Get to know where you would like to stay longer term. There are numerous possibilities depending on what you are looking for.

Well said Stan,

I should have mentioned that as well. I am assuming the OP already had his temporary lodgings sorted out since he only asked for classifieds websites but if he doesn't he should definitely follow your advice.

Much better than staying in a hotel.

Good responses.

Boots on the ground!

All that said, there are Facebook groups that can help.   

Everything Cabarete
Everything Sosua
Everything Puerto Plata

You will find both posts of apartments for rent and individuals who own and manage rentals!

If moving to a big city, there are websites.  Mostly full of the expensive and hard to rent as has been stated.

You could usually get a local taxi driver to take you around or have a walk around as there is usually “to rent” signs with a phone number in front of apartment buildings most of the time. That's where you will find the inexpensive apartments.

Hope this helps

Absolutely.

Just make sure  to use a recommended driver. AND  AGREE UP FRONT HE DOES NOT GET COMMISSION.  many taxi drivers suddenly become   real estate agents!

I can highly recommend a local taxi in Sosua area if that is the area you are looking at. Send me a PM if interested.

www.mercadolibre.com.do
supercasas.com