Subscriptions are REALLY Annoying

I seem to be getting notifications for topics I'm subscribed to.  How does the site determine which ones it will subscribe me to? I only clicked on one thread subscription but I'm getting notifications for a bunch of other threads.

I know there's a check box to subscribe to a thread I post in.  Its extra annoying that it defaults to on.  I don't know about other people but with annoying extra steps like this and not hassling with figuring out the settings, I would just avoid the site altogether.

JustiNoelle wrote:

Its extra annoying that [Notifications] defaults to on.  I don't know about other people but with annoying extra steps like this and not hassling with figuring out the settings, I would just avoid the site altogether.

In contrast to the above, I like that the site defaults to notifications-on.

When I click on the notifications icon, I can easily click on -- or skip -- any notifications I see.  Thus I rarely miss updated threads where I was previously or currently am active.  A high percentage of the notifications are of interest to me.

It's much better than my real annoyance, my longtime Yahoo email account (not related to expat.com), which is filled with about 100 emails a day, more than 95 of which are unwanted spam.  Unsubscribing to spam sites often is not as easy as clicking on the Unsubscribe option.

cccmedia

If you post on the thread, you are automatically subscribed to that thread, maybe that why you are getting notifications?

Hello Digitae0nJ,

Thanks for bringing this up.

I have contacted you through PM in order to address your concerns.

Thanks,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Find useful info to succeed in your expat project

OR