Brexit and early registration.

Je suis Tim. I'm not sure whether it is WuFlu or Brexit that is giving me the greater problem, in planning my move to Auvergne! My intention is to rent for 12 months, ( but presumably /possibly this should happen before end of 2020) and then purchase mid to late 2021. My concern is that of status and residency in France before or after 31 Dec 20 on current regulations and what the situation might possibly be post Brexit. Would it be wise for example to open a bank account, take out a 12 lease and register with the town hall before end of year?   
         I fully appreciate none of us know how Brexit might play out, but if there is anyone out there who has views or is in the process, I should be eternally grateful for your advice and views. With very many thanks, Tim.

Hi Tim

looks like we have similar plans, how are you getting on?  Were planning to rent for a few months too. I have been wondering, do you need to be able to prove that France is your main residence from Dec 31st? we have a house to sell in London which realistically may be after December 31st so we'll be coming and going, I am wondering how this might effect an application for residency.

Have you tried to register through the portal yet? I understand it opened Oct. 1st.

I haven't read that you need to register with the town hall, where did you read this?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, your the first person I have come across in a similar situation to us.

Rachel