Expatriation to Cambodia: border updates

Hello everyone,

in Cambodia as elsewhere, the current pandemic has changed our way of life but also our mobility, due to the state of borders of nearby countries or countries we wanted to visit.

Today we would like to take stock of the current border situation in Cambodia and collect your testimonies, whether you are already an expat there or still preparing your move.

Is the country currently accessible to newcomers?

Have quarantine measures been put in place? If so, what are they?

What about leaving the territory as an expat resident? Will you be able to easily reach Cambodia if you leave it temporarily?

How does the current borders state impact you, whether you are already an expatriate in Cambodia or are planning to move there soon?

Do you have some visibility about the future of borders in your country of expatriation, in the longer or shorter term?

Thank you in advance for your contribution :)

Cheryl,
Expat.com team

As far as I know, you need US3,000 as deposit to the authority to be spent for the hotel accommodation and other expenses for 14 days quarantine.  Once you found negative of the virus then you can refund the remaining amount.

To go out of the country is easy for as long as their is an available flight to the country of destination.  I don't know if there is any change of the regulation.

In addition to , you need to have an insurance which the policy value is US$50,000 I don't  know if this policy is not yet lifted.

Hello Cheryl.

It is pretty easy to leave Cambodia by air, provided you find a flight.

Entering Cambodia is a totally different chapter.

If you have no valid extension of stay (EOS) you need to apply for a visa from a Cambodian embassy or consulate. In order to get that you need a letter of employment as they allow only people with a job or business to enter.

Some embassies are easier than others, Washington DC and specifically London are great examples of lenient embassy staff with examples of people getting a visa based on a sick child in Cambodia and other reasons.

Apart from that you need to have a Covid-19 test not older than 72 hours prior to departure or prior to arrival, depending on the airline.

Plus you need an insurance covering $50K.

Then if this all is ok you can fly into Phnom Penh. On arrival you need to make a deposit of $2000 (not $3000) at a bank representative, the deposit will be used to pay tests, hotel, food and in case of testing positive, hospital expenses. On the day of arrival swabs are taken and next day you will be informed at the hotel where you stay about the test results.
If anyone of your flight tests positive, all passengers will be taken to a 14 day quarantine facility.
If all passengers tested negative on arrival you can go to the address you have given on forehand, for self-quarantine.

On day 13 after arrival you have to go for a second test and wait for the result.
If the test is negative you can go to the bank where you deposited your $2000 and get a refund of the rest of the money.

In addition if you take a regular flight you can fly in from Seoul, Taiwan and Singapore. Singapore only on transit and if you fly Singapore Airlines or a partner. Taiwan is Eva Air and Seoul Korean Airways.

Cambodia and Vietnam will begin to allow some people in from each other's countries. But it is restricted to their citizens, business people and students, but who knows they will extend the group of people being allowed.

That's it Cheryl, complicated but possible in certain cases.

Have a nice day.

Joe

Well my Cambodia entry visa finally arrived today, I picked it up from the courier office on the Greek island of Naxos, where I have been living for the past couple of months. A brief moment of elation, followed by.....sh*t, now the fun starts. In two weeks from now I fly to London, get a negative Covid PCR test (at huge expense - the only guaranteed 24 hr turn-around is on Harley Street), get a Singapore Air flight to Changi, transit to Phnom Penh, get through immigration, pay the deposit, have another test (hopefully negative), stay 2 nights in an expensive hotel not of my choosing, then go into quarantine for 2 weeks in a place of my choice, get another test on the 13th day, if negative, I will be allowed to do what the hell I like. And to think if I had done this a year ago, all I had to do was buy a ticket and get on the plane......

Congrats on this first step to come back to Cambodia!

Excellent! So glad to read you are going back. Safe travels.  Please take care and be safe.

I hope so too. As Shakespeare said, there's many a slip tween cup and lip. But I am sure if I just get all the paperwork right it should be ok.