Hope to move to malaysia

Hi All
wonderful website here.

I am interested in moving to Malaysia as soon as possible really. Unfortunateley, malasia's borders are closed for the time being so i'm hoping that it will loosen up soon so that i can start this new journey.
I'm aplying for jobs in malaysia but haven't been successful thus far.

I just wanted to know from the community which area of KL, or Malaysia as a whole, are your favourite places to live?
Which places would you recommend for newly arriving expats?

I've lived in japan and travelled across asia before so i have a bit of experience of Asia but i wanted to know your thoughts.

Any additional info, tiips, feedback or links would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Andre

Hi Andre,

I've been traveling to Malaysia since 1979, but when I lived there I was in Kuala Lumpur. Initially I stayed in Bukit Bintang which I think is fantastic for a single person or a couple, and later moved to Bangsar which is more suitable for families. I was in KL for about 12 years. The other area, if you like some night life and to be in the city is the KLCC area, but really a lot depends on your budget and what you are looking for when you live there.

Work-wise, I think KL is pretty good although it might not be very easy to find a job in the immediate future unless you are well qualified and in a desired field.

I also love Penang, but find it more suitable for a relaxed lifestyle more in line with retirement, in my humble opinion. Johor Baru is another possibility but I have never liked it. The only good thing that I find about it is it's close proximity to Singapore.

Cheers

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : no free advertising please
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Living in KLCC is only useful if you are working int he KLCC area. Personally I prefer Bukit Bintang. But in anycase, it really depends on where you work, so I suggest finding a job first and then choosing the area to live. I also do not think you need to earn Rm15k per month in order to live in KLCC or in the city. For a couple you can get by on a lot less than that. Renting an apartment downtown can be as little as Rm2k - 3k, depending on which condo you choose.

Thats really useful to know that it is relatively cheap to live. I'm single so only need to provide for myself.