Can you collect USA social security benefits while living in Morocco

Greetings,
All -

I retired few years ago and started receiving social security benefits, and now I decided to move to Morocco and live there for good. the question is can I still receive the Social security benefit while living outside of US ? if so, do I have to visit US once a year to submit any documentation to continue receiving the funds.

Please advise

Thank you
LC

I live in Morocco and collect my  Social Security monthly. I have kept my us bank account and the funds are deposited directly in it  I have a Moroccan bank account too so can move money as I need it.

The SSI office once you move is in Paris so if you need info regarding that let me know. Ok.

You can have your ssi deposited in a Moroccan account but I suggest you keep it going into your US bank account.

That's amazing, I didn't know that there is a satellite SSI office in Paris. Do you usually have to travel once a year to provide any documents to continue receiving the funds ?
I think having accounts in US bank is very helpful, I am planning to keep my US account open and route the fund.

Do you mind if you can send me the Paris office information ?

Thank you

No you do not have to travel back and  forth, but you do need to notify social security when you have a address in Morocco. I will be happy to submit the address later today.  I have learned a great deal since moving. I kept my medicare in the states. Incase I have to go back for a serious issue.

English     Français 

U.S. Embassy & Consulates
in France

|

Security Alert: Read More...

[Skip to Content]

Social Security Administration

Home | U.S. Citizen Services | Social Security Administration

Federal Benefits – FAQsFederal Benefits Information and FormsFederal Benefits Contact

Please be informed that in light of current COVID-19 Virus situation, the Federal Benefits Unit of the American Embassy Paris is closed to the public until further notice.All in-office appointments for Social Security are not possible at this time.We encourage you to monitor our website for information on when public access to the Embassy and appointments will be made available again.

However,you can contact us via postal mail at the following address: American Embassy, Federal Benefits Unit, 2 avenue Gabriel 75008 Paris, oryou can contact us by email at [email protected] apologize for the inconvenience caused and thank you for your understanding.Suite à la situation engendrée par l'épidémie de COVID-19, le service Fédéral Benefits Unit ou Sécurité Sociale Américaine est fermé au public jusqu'à nouvel ordre.

Nous ne sommes en pas en mesure de recevoir le public durant cette période.

Nous vous conseillons de consulter notre site internet régulièrement pour savoir quand notre service pourra à nouveau vous recevoir.

Cependant, vous pouvez nous contacter par courrier postal à l'adresse suivante :Ambassade américaine, Federal Benefits Unit, 2 avenue Gabriel, 75008 Paris, ou par courriel à :   [email protected].

When a personal interview is mandatory we receive the general public by online appointment. Appointments are scheduled on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9:30-11:00 am. All other services/assistance are handled by letter, email, fax or telephone.  The Federal Benefits Unit will NOT provide service to applicants who visit the Consular Section for routine passport and registration of birth services if they have not contacted the Federal Benefits Unit in advance.

Please visit the U.S. Citizen Services webpages for all other services.

How International Agreements Can Help

U.S. tax questions cannot be answered by the Federal Benefits Unit

Information on Income Taxation

Information on SSA Taxation (PDF – 2,240K)

NextSocial Security Contact Us

Need help? See our FAQs Page

FAQs and Contact

French Retirement InformationCaisse nationale d'assurance vieillesse (CNAV)Information in English (CNAV)Centre des liaisons européennes et internationales de Sécurité sociale (CLEISS)Get Adobe ReaderDownload Free

U.S. EMBASSY IN FRANCE

VisasU.S. Citizen ServicesOur RelationshipBusinessEducation & CultureEmbassy & ConsulatesNews & EventsPrivacySitemap

U.S. EMBASSY

U.S. Embassy Paris
2 avenue Gabriel
75008 Paris
France
Phone: [33] (1)43122222
Alt Phone: (33) 1 42 66 97 83

U.S. CONSULATES

U.S. Consulate Bordeaux
U.S. Consulate Lyon
U.S. Consulate General Marseille
U.S. Consulate Rennes
U.S. Consulate General Strasbourg

Footer Disclaimer

This is the official website of the U.S. Embassy & Consulates in France. External links to other Internet sites should not be construed as an endorsement of the views or privacy policies contained therein.

You can go online and get the info too. Ok?

Perfect !! thank you so much Cathy. useful information !!

You are welcome. Enjoy retirement in Morocco

Cathylester, what service do you use to transfer money from USA account to Moroccan account (transferwise)? Also, do you keep that balance below $10,000 USD, so you don't have to file FBAR each year when doing taxes?

Thanks,

I use my bank card , no matter how you look at it there is a fee. I withdraw and deposit in my Moroccan bank. I have used Citibank, transferwise and others, there is still a fee. My way is quick and simple

I File FBAR every year. Hopefully next tax season I won't have too.

Keeping your Medicare is such a great idea! I hadn't considered that option.

Oooh, I dont think you can have it deposited into a Moroccan bank.  I know that when mine started, 3 years ago, you couldn't. Neither can you deposit military retirement pay or any such. And nearly all US banks require you to have a US address.  I did just hear of a bank where you don't need to maintain a US address, and that is thru American Citizens Abroad. It is actually a credit union and costs between $55 and $70 per year, depending on your age.

Also, some banks refund your ATM fees.  Charles Schwab is one, so you're not paying thru the nose for transfer fees. I have one of their debit cards, which works well for me.

You must travel back to USA to use your Medicare. It can't be used in Morocco or any country outside the USA, unless it's a US territory.

I kept it in case I had a severe issue and needed to go back to the states. It cannot be used in Morocco however

Yes you can there is a agreement with Morocco. However I felt it wise to keep it in my us bank as a direct deposit.

You can't keep your Medicare if you are living in Morocco full time.