Bank account in dirhams

How does a UK national without a carte de Sejour open a Moroccan bank account?

I don't think you could open a normal current account in Dirham - you'd need the residence card. You can open what they call 'un compte en Dirham convertible' - i.e. you can only put in Euros (for ex.) - and you'd have the equivalent in Dirham. The inconvinience with this, is that if you have Dirhams, you'd need to convert them into Euros, in order to pay them in to your account.

Ahouam is correct. Before I received my carte de Sejour I had a convertible Bank account. Once card received I got a regular account. It was just a matter of transferring my dh into the regular account via the bank.

Do you know if you get a bank card with a convertible account? So you can withdraw Dirhams from atm / make purchases online with it?

Yes you can get a convertible account with a debit card that you can use at an atm, you can only pay other currencies into it and withdraw dirhams

Yes you can make purchases with it online .
If you want to know more just call the bank support they speak english too .

I am British and I have a convertible account. Once the account is active you get your account details similar to IBAN then you can pay money in to it from any currency which is converted to MAD.

I have a debit card, there are few different cards to choose from, some can only be used locally others online and internationally. I got the basic card which I can use to withdraw money within Morocco from ATMs which suits me fine as I am only there parts of the year. There is a small charge if you use other bank/network ATMs

Can you just maintain your English bank account and English debit card.
I put this to " deepblu "
At the atm you withdraw dirhams