Buying a Used Car - Private Sale

Hi Everyone,  I'm new to this site. I've been on the island for a year now and have been renting a car since. Now that we decided to stay for the long term I want to buy a car. Found a solid used car in La Romana. Private sale from a senior. Seems very trustworthy but of course you never know. It's not a big investment as it's a 2005 model but I want to make sure I do everything by the book.

I will have the car checked out by a mechanic and I will pay for that. I'm assuming I will need a lawyer to draw up the paperwork and make it all official to transfer ownership. Does anyone know how much a lawyer will charge for the paperwork ? Do I pay that or the seller ?  Would I have to find a lawyer in La Romana or can I get a local Sosua lawyer to draw up papers and take them with me when I drive to La Romana ?  Sorry for all the questions.

Hi Roby,

I bought a car in La Romana last year. I was introduced to a trustworthy mechanic in the process. You can contact Ricardo the mechanic at 829-977-1978. There was no lawyer involved in my purchase but docs. must be registered at the vehicle registration office in La Romana.  You can contact Jose Brito at Sofhisa Auto Sales for infor. on registering. 809-753-6463. He speaks Spanish. I suggest you contact Catherine Alquier for info. on lawyers if in fact you need one. She is a trusted French National who has lived in La Romana for 10 years. Her number is 829-891-2994. She is good friends with Ricardo the mechanic  and introduced me to him. She speaks engilsh, Spanish and French. Buena suerte.

Great info for la romana!    I will suggest getting a lawyer to draw up the 'acta de ventas" so you are covered.  And make sure to file the documents.

Do you have residency?   And your Dominican license?

Wow !! What great information. I could not ask for more. I'm sure glad I joined this site. Thank you. I will for sure contact the lawyer and the mechanic.

My residency is in the works and should have been completed by now but you know..

I will for sure use a lawyer just to be safe. Thanks.

Any idea how much roughly  a lawyer would charge for an act di venta document ?

3,000 Rd max

$3,000RD sounds fair. I just got quoted $8500RD. I wonder why ? I guess I will have to shop around.

who quoted you 8500? don't tell me...let me guess..

I charge 2,500 Dominican Pesos for a automotive sales contract.