Canadian expat over 65 - CPP and OAS implications

This post is targeted to Canadian expats 65 or older who are living in the Philippines for more than 6 months per year. 

I am now retired, collecting CPP and OAS and I want to spend about 9 months a year in the Philippines, 3 in Canada.  This would qualify me as a non-resident of Canada and the government then withholds 25% of these pensions for tax.  If the tax treaty with the Philippines kicks in the withholding amount is 15% as I understand it.  My current tax liability for these is around 12%.  I am aware of the NR5 form which, as I understand it, might allow me to continue to file a Canadian tax return and pay the same tax, i.e. 12%.  But it's not perfectly clear if that's the case.

I am inquiring what arrangements other Canadian retirees have made regarding the CPP and OAS pensions.  Any information or guidance would be most appreciated.

Would like to follow this thread.

You might want to check out the separate  thai visa forum (search google).  Yes I know it  is Thailand and not the Philippines but there are significantly more Canucks  there who would be willing to help.