Personnummer in case of <12 month Sweden stay?

Hi expats!

I'm a postdoc starting in Sweden this Fall, with a 13 month contract to provide some flexibility with possible travel restrictions. My wife and I have been approved for a residence permit over the same time frame. My understanding is that the personnummer can be obtained for people residing in Sweden for more than a year, but my question is whether this qualifying year is determined by the length of the residence permit or by the length of the stay (i.e. if due to travel restrictions we arrived in Sweden a month and a half into the permit whether we would still be eligible for the personnummer).

Thank you!

Hello, Welcome to the forum!

https://www.skatteverket.se/servicelank … 4c40c.html

According to above it says "live in Sweden for one year or more". It says nothing about length of the residence permit.

However we are in a unique period of history of the world, so every individual case which related to this very special period, one way or the other, must also have a unique subsequent explanation.

So if you scroll down in the link above you will see contact info, contact them but you better send a mail than call them, because I don't think anyone can give you a straight answer right away without dubbel checking the matter as things stand.   
cheers!

Thank you Finnbo! I did send Skatteverket a message a couple of weeks ago but no reply. I took a closer look at the regulations for non EU citizens and it looks like the documentation required is only the permit and passports, so we should be okay to obtain the personnummer. Thanks for your help ☺️

thanks you are in Sweden and this country rules are extremely helping and make you free from all anxieties. I visited this country once, I love the people and rules there, All queries regarding person number and visa rules and guidance and any type of assistance regarding your stay, overstay and family rules, you need not to worry about and you had to just contact Swedish embassy consulate, they will guide you better for that, you can mail to embassy consulate or just call them from your country, here is a list of all Swedish Embassy consulates and their contact details:

https://countrywisecodes.com/sweden/emb … te-offices

you can contact the Swedish Embassy from your home country or near by country.