Swedish Visa: Guide for Filipinos (Share your story)

Hi everyone :) I'm trying to find step by step guides how to process my Swedish Visa. It would be great if you could share details on how you successfully obtained your visa. I am sure there are a lot of people who need this information too. Your time is greatly appreciated!

Hi MidoK!

It depends on what kind of visa you applying for.

Could you please enlighten a little and perhaps I could provide some information or maybe the other members.😊

migrationsverket.se/Privatpersoner/Flytta-till-nagon-i-Sverige/Ansok-om-uppehallstillstan
Apply for a permit to move to someone in Sweden
If you are a citizen of a country outside the EU and want to move to a family member in Sweden, you need a residence permit. 
English
Print
Listen
If you are an adult it is required that your family member in Sweden is a Swedish citizen or have permanent residency. A child can, however, obtain a residence permit to be joined with a parent in Sweden even if the parent only has a temporary residence permit.
Who can obtain a residence permit

Receiving a residence permit depends on your relationship to the family member who lives in Sweden.

Spouse, registered partner or cohabiting
You are entitled to a residence permit if you are married, have entered into a registered partnership or lives with someone who lives in Sweden. Your partner should register your marriage or partnership with the tax in Sweden.

Prospective spouses or partners
You can obtain a residence permit if you plan to marry or cohabit with someone who lives in Sweden.

Children under 18 years
Unmarried children under 18 years are entitled to join a parent in Sweden. This means that a child can apply for a residence permit to live with her parents in Sweden.

Other close relatives
You may exceptionally be granted a residence permit if you and your relatives have lived in any country other than Sweden. This category includes children over 18 and parents of persons who are resident in Sweden.

You and your relative must have lived together in the same household immediately before your relative moved to Sweden. There must also be a particularly dependent relationship between the two of which were already in the home country. In particular dependence means that, apart from the natural bond that exists between close relatives, must be additional factors that make you and your relative can not live apart from each other.

You must submit your application as soon as possible after your relative has received a permanent residence permit in Sweden.

Supply Requirements

The person you should stay in Sweden can be covered by a so-called security requirements.

This requirement means that he or she should be able to support yourself and have a dwelling of adequate size and standard that you can live together in when you move to Sweden.

Learn more about who is covered by the support requirement .

The Migration Board can offer DNA analysis

Immigration offers DNA analysis when the rest of the investigation into the relationship is not sufficient to enable us to make a decision. If the Migration Board decides to offer DNA analysis pays Migration Board all costs for sampling, transport of samples and the DNA analysis.

Read about how to apply for a residence permit .

--- working visa..
migrationsverket.se/Privatpersoner/Arbeta-i-Sverige/Anstalld/Sa-ansoker-du.html

How to apply for a work permit
The main rule is that you must apply for a work permit and have received authorization granted before traveling to Sweden. Here you will find information on how to do to apply.
English
Print
Listen
Note that special rules and exceptions for certain professions and groups , and for those who are already in Sweden .
Hands.
Offer of employment

To get a work permit, you must have a job offer in Sweden.
Employment Offer.
Written job offer

Your employer or client in Sweden fills out a job offer. The information about insurance, seniority and what salary you're offered.

Your employer must allow the trade union concerned comment on the working conditions and pay. The offer of employment and trade union opinion sends your employer then you.

Employment Offer (to be completed by your employer or client in Sweden)
Man sitting at a computer.
Fill out the application

Once you have received the offer of employment, you can apply for a work permit. You can make a request here on the web. When you do a web application, you will receive instructions on how to fill out your application and what documents you need to send with. If your family accompany you to Sweden, you can apply for a permit for them while in your web application.

The application

Permits for family
Send document.
This is going to have to pass

If you leave it in a web application, you can scan and send documents. If you are applying through an embassy or consulate, have the documents together with your application. You should submit the following documents:

copies of the pages in your passport showing personal details, expiry date and if you have permission to live in countries other than your country of residence
job offer, the union opinion and any other documents you received from your employer
copies of the pages of your family members' passports and other documents for the family if you and your family are applying at the same time on the web.
Documents for your family
Bank card.
Pay application

In most cases, you pay a fee. If you apply via the web, you pay with a Visa or MasterCard.

Information about fees
Surface.
Basis for residence cards

If you get a permit for more than three months, you get a residence permit card. The card is proof that you have permission to be in Sweden and include your fingerprints and photograph of you.

If you need a visa to travel to Sweden should therefore visit the Swedish Embassy or Consulate-General to be photographed and to leave your fingerprints as soon as possible. It requires you to do even if you previously had a residence card because the data is not saved. Contact the Embassy or Consulate-General prior to your visit.

If you do not need a visa to travel to Sweden, leaving the basis for a residence permit cards at the Swedish Migration Board after you come to Sweden.

Countries whose citizens need a visaexternal link, opens in new window to travel to Sweden

Find the nearest Embassy of Swedenabroad.comexternal link, opens in new window

Learn more about residence permit cards
Clock.
The Swedish Migration Board is dealing

Have you applied via the Web Migration Board can begin working on your application immediately.

The Swedish Migration Board is dealing primarily applications where all data is completed and all required documents are included. This means that you get a faster decision if you submit everything that is required along with your application than if you add the fact. Note that the Migration Board in some cases may need to examine your application further, even if you provided all the information and sent all documents.

Current waiting times
Decision.
You get the decision

If you have applied online you will receive an email that the decision has been made. The actual decision is available from the embassy or consulate general you have entered in your application. Your employer or client may simultaneously be informed of the decision by mail.

When you pick up your order, please bring your passport.
Learn more about what happens then under the heading After a decision .
If you can not apply online, complete the form Application for a permit to work in Sweden - for those who are not in Sweden, No. 148011PDF , and handing it in at a Swedish embassy or consulate general in your country of residence. The application form indicates the documents you must attach.

If there is no possibility to apply in your country, you should apply at the Embassy or Consulate General nearest to the country where you live. Contact the embassy or consulate-generalexternal link, opens in new window before you submit your application for more information.

If your family accompany you to Sweden to every member of the family to submit their own applicationPDF .

@ robielrish > Thank you for this very useful information !  :top:

Feel free to post an article in our participative guide.

Priscilla  :par:

Hi ask KO lang kung nakapunta ka sa Sweden having tourist visa before?you're invitation letter from your sponsor ba ay notarized by lawyer or embassy or kahit signature lang ng sponsor mo ?
Cause I'm worry when it comes to immigration officer at airport here in Philippines  they might ask some docs para payagan ka mila umalis.
I have schengen visa na. Will wait for your reply .thanks :-)

Anyone here lives in Hedemora??? Let us meet soon.

Madame the immigrition/embassy of sweden they will send you all the docs needed mo for your fight lahat yon ma present mo no worries kahit any type og visa pa.

Hi po,i wanna ask if tingin nyo po i grant ako ng Visa going Sweden thru sponsored by a bf relationship kahit hindi pa ako annul dito sa Pinas,pero 12 yrs na akong separated to my ex and i just rcv divorce papers this Jan 2014.Our relationship wth my fiance is so strong.in our 5th yr this yr we already had been together here 3times.the last time he was here was 2 months.Thanx,,hoping to hear from u soon.God bless

Hi, i am planning to submit all my documents at the norweigian embassy by nov 3. I just want to ask if there is a papersize requirement. Is it short, long or A4 size?

Are you applying for a Schegen Visa? My sister just got approved and so far we haven't read in their guidelines that there is a paper size requirement for all the requirements. The papers that i sent to her were all in short size.

yes i will be applying for a schengen visa. i hope it will be approved too. i have complete documents, i am self employed and having my own online business, i have a business registration certificate and a bank account, though my bf is sponsoring me with everything, and we have all we need, i feel i must submit my own means too. my bf and i havent met in person, he has a job in sweden thats why he wants me to come over so he can work while we are together too. i feel nervous though i have a friend here that was approved before even they havent met yet.

yes i will be applying for a schengen visa. i hope it will be approved too. i have complete documents, i am self employed and having my own online business, i have a business registration certificate and a bank account, though my bf is sponsoring me with everything, and we have all we need, i feel i must submit my own means too. my bf and i havent met in person, he has a job in sweden thats why he wants me to come over so he can work while we are together too. i feel nervous though i have a friend here that was approved before even they havent met yet.

I'm sure it will be approve. My sister's visa was approved in just 1 day. Good luck!!

is the norweigian embassy not too strict like swiss embassy before? i am worried that we havent met yet. your sister will surely be approved because you are relatives. many says that norweigian embassy is not so strict and less hassle. did she applied online through application portal norway?

I really couldn't compare between norwegian and swiss embassy coz we haven't tried to apply at swiss embassy before. I dont think you will have a problem as long as you will comply with the requirements and you can prove it to them that your intention will really just visiting and not planning to stay for good. You will use the application portal in order for you to register, book an appointment and pay the application fee only coz you need to pass hard copies of all the requirements at the embassy.

Thats good to hear, i am hoping i can get approved. about the bank statements, can we pass the online print out from the online banking system of my bf? will that do?

yes you can print it!

oh.. thats good.. ill receive my documents on tuesday so we will have the appointment maybe by october 30.. by the ways what travel insurance did you get? and how much? we are planning to get axa travel insurance, its an affiliated schengen travel insurance company. it has low cost features where the cost only depends on the length of your stay. but as per reading the required travel insurance, it should be minimum of 30,000 euros. but schengen low cost is max of 30,000 euros.. (is it euros? hahaha)

Hej! Wait for finalization before you make first move. What kind of visa are you going to apply?  Permanent or tourist?

Hi, i will apply for schengen or visitor's visa. I am searching for a travel insurance which is a requirement.

can someone advise me what travel insurance company is the best, affordable too.the schengen visa requires minimum of 30,000 euros. i checked axa low cost schengen, it says, "enables you to get a schengen visa". but as i read the policy, it says "maximum of 30,000 euros" i checked malayan insurance, (global travel master) it is good and cheap but it is a philippine peso policy.

Hi, i filed my schengen visa yesterday at the norwegian embassy manila. It was a very friendly embassy, everything was quick. I submitted all the requirements that they asked me on the checklist. I also provided chatlogs and remitances receipts as proof of relationship. They just asked me if we met already and how long weve known each other. Then the interviewer stamped on my passport and asked me to go upstairs and have my biometrics and photograph. He told me to wait for 30 days since they will submit it to the swedish migration board but it can be earlier than that. They returned my passport back to me, i was a bit sad of that because i thought giving my passport back means i am denied but when i talked to the other applicant downstairs, she said they are really returning back the passport and notify you through email if it is approved. Her's too was being returned back but she was there yesterday because her's was approved and they asked her to come so the visa will be affixed on her passport and she will wait there until 2:30..  what do you think about this guys?

Hello I just want to ask if how long bago maapprove ang residence permit? My possibility bang maaprove less than a month?

I am married to Swedish citizen, I just want to know if how long kami maghihintay before kami magsama together sa Sweden..

Thank you and GOD bless!

Hej.. I am planning to visit sweden to this year and already gathering information about getting my tourist visa. I am in a relationship for 2 and half years with a swedish guy, We travel Thailand and Malaysia couple mos ago. He want me to apply tourist visa first to see if i can live the cold weather there! He even ask me to renew my passport even its goin to expire in 2017. I wonder if thats goin to be an issue im afraid the consul will ask why i renew it so early.Anyway i  read alot that you have to prove that you are comming back to philippines or atleast reason to go back. I am unemployed not a student,and dont own any property here in philippines.They will probably quewstion such thing like that.However my bf leaving a cash money everytime he come to visit. Would they ask for the transaction?Or my bank statement?He is goin to support all the expenses ofcourse and he recently bought a house in stockholm. He will send all the documents i needed to process my visa this comming september since my intended visit is on November or December. What u think guys? Do i have any chance to get my visa approved? He strongly believe i have chance but i have doubts since i read so much online that u must have strong bond to go back here in philippines. Any advice are welcome.Thanks in advance

Kate..

Hej Kate,

I am not an en expert when it comes to visa but I want to share my experience with you when I applied for tourist visa since we have the same situation. I think it's better to not renew your passport yet since you're only applying for only a tourist visa. You don't need to renew it yet because tourist visa is only for 3 months stay in Sweden. If you're thinking that you can process a residence permit while you're in Sweden that's why you want to renew your passport, you're wrong. You have to go back again to the Philippines to process application for residence permit. Anyways, in applying for a tourist visa you have to make sure that you have all of the requirements before you apply. I will suggest you to apply read my blog if you have time.

I am pretty sure you'll get it

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Promotion of own blogs, external links not allowed on the forum.

It depends on how strong your application, the approximate waiting times for residence permit is 12 to 14 months as it is stated on their website migrationsverket, but it can be reduced too...online registration is much more convinient.

am coming sw :D eedn soon

Hi businessman1980,

Could you give us more details, are you coming in Sweden for holidays or move definitely ?

May be also some information about the process of visas?

Thank you

Stéphanie

Hej everyone,

I am a Filipina married to a Swedish citizen, we got married here and our marriage is registered at skatteverket already. we applied for a residence permit last March a month after our wedding, my son is my co-applicant. I just want to know what will be my chances if getting approved with my residence visa since we are married now. Thank you.

neslund921 wrote:

Hej everyone,

I am a Filipina married to a Swedish citizen, we got married here and our marriage is registered at skatteverket already. we applied for a residence permit last March a month after our wedding, my son is my co-applicant. I just want to know what will be my chances if getting approved with my residence visa since we are married now. Thank you.

The chances of getting approved for a residence permit largely depends on whether you satisfy the requirements for a residence permit, i.e, your husband has adequate means to provide for the both of you (including children) and has a home of reasonable size and standard to live in.  Since you are married with someone living in in Sweden (and he is a Swedish citizen) you are entitled to receive a residence permit to be united with your husband. Sweden has actually a more lax rules regarding family reunification compared to Denmark.

Have you already received an email for an interview and biometrics appointment? If not yet, then just wait for it. It's common for an application for a residence permit to take up to 9 months to process, although online applications usually have a shorter processing times--up to 4 months. Have you tried checking the status of your application at the migrationsverket website?

Good luck!

The new process now for TR /RV waiting 18 months..
Just feel free to call this hotline for proper advice...
Telefonnummer ; 0771-235 235

Från utlandet: +46 771 235 235
Telefontider:
Måndag–fredag 08.00–16.00
Särskilda öppettider 2015

Good luck

Good day

Thank you for your response. When we asked for a maintenance requirement for a residence permit which you have stated that my husband needs house of an adequate size or maybe a job that will suffice our living, the migration board said that he does not need a maintenance requirement since he is a swedish citizen. I am just worried because in sweden (as some say), marriage is not so important since there is a sambo marriage. We got married here in the philippines and i have a son as my co applicant. Its good to hear that i am "entitled" for it rather than hearing "you may" have it of course.

I always check their website and i regularly check my email for update. Whenever my husband calls them, they always say that there is alot of applicants who are applying and we need to wait for our turn. Our residence permit application was registered last march 27 and we have been waiting for almost 5 months now. Knowing there is also alot of asylum seekers. I have a friend, she is also married to a swedish citizen, she was not interviewed anymore but she needs to show the consulate here in the philippines the documents she submitted online. She was able to book an appointment at bangkok for biometrics.

Hi,

Yes, there are an influx of applications for residence permit in Sweden--many refugees and asylum seekers flocking to Northern Europe, especially Sweden because they are more accomodating than some other European countries.

Anyways, I've read that the maximum waiting time is now up to 18 months...so you would need tons of patience for this. As for my experience, I was in Thailand (on a 2-month vacation) when I had applied online for residence permit to Sweden, so I emailed and asked the Swedish Embassy in Bangkok if they would allow me to get an appointment for interview and biometrics since I would be in the country for another month. They said, normally, I would have to get an appointment at the Swedish Consulate in Manila but since I'm in Thailand then they would allow me to submit my original documents, have biometrics and interview in Bangkok at a particular date. It took almost 4 months since I applied online when I finally got the decision and I picked it up at the Swedish Consulate in Makati.

I know that the long wait is very frustrating but that's all what you can do for the meantime. Cheers!

M&K01 wrote:

Hej.. I am planning to visit sweden to this year and already gathering information about getting my tourist visa. I am in a relationship for 2 and half years with a swedish guy, We travel Thailand and Malaysia couple mos ago. He want me to apply tourist visa first to see if i can live the cold weather there! He even ask me to renew my passport even its goin to expire in 2017. I wonder if thats goin to be an issue im afraid the consul will ask why i renew it so early.Anyway i  read alot that you have to prove that you are comming back to philippines or atleast reason to go back. I am unemployed not a student,and dont own any property here in philippines.They will probably quewstion such thing like that.However my bf leaving a cash money everytime he come to visit. Would they ask for the transaction?Or my bank statement?He is goin to support all the expenses ofcourse and he recently bought a house in stockholm. He will send all the documents i needed to process my visa this comming september since my intended visit is on November or December. What u think guys? Do i have any chance to get my visa approved? He strongly believe i have chance but i have doubts since i read so much online that u must have strong bond to go back here in philippines. Any advice are welcome.Thanks in advance

Kate..

Hi,

You don't need to renew your passport if it's still valid until 2017. With the current huge backlogs in the processing of passports, the DFA would most likely ask you what's the rush in renewing your passport when it is still valid.

You probably already know that it is the Norwegian Embassy Manila who processes the Schengen visa for those wanting to visit Sweden and that they have the legal capacity to reject visa applications in  behalf of Sweden, if you don't satisfy the requirements for the issuance of Schengen visa.

Just a few days ago, the Norwegian Embassy had announced that they had changed the requirements for getting a Schengen visa. The changes requires that the applicant must document STRONGER TIES to his/her home country. It means they would assess the individual circumstances of an applicant--they would look into your age, your employment status, if you have family (i.e, spouse or children) who would be left behind in the Philippines, property and economic/social obligations and if you have had a visa (from countries requiring visas) issued to you and whether you have complied or not to the conditions set in that visa.

The embassy might grant you a visa, IF you can demonstrate that you intend to return to the Philippines after your visit in Sweden. It used to be that an invitation to visit from a boyfriend as well as proof that he could support your stay and that you two have known (and met) each other for a reasonable amount of time is good enough for them to issue the applicant a visa. Unfortunately the Philippines has been downgraded into the group of countries whose nationals would potentially abuse the Schengen visa and seek migration to the Schengen country they are "visiting", thus the stricter requirements  :(

Hi since your already granted a Schengen visa no need na to show pa any invitation letter kasi before your granted eh un na yong main requirement eh. Sa airport meron ka lng babayaran sa immigration before ka maka alis. Don't forget your passport ofcourse  lycka till

Good day cancel, as per your question, I don't clearly understand with what you meant by spousal visa. If it is the same as applying for a schengen visa that is good for only 3 months, we also asked it from migrationsverket. They said, we can apply for it since I am married with a Swedish citizen but the bad thing is, they will put your residence permit on hold. They will not make a decision not unless you are back in the Philippines. I just don't understand why the other EU country has spousal visa like Germany, wherein they will just apply and the visa will be released and after that, they can apply for a residence permit upon arriving in an EU nation. Sweden is not included with those.

dancel wrote:

hello everyone, i will just ask some information to the members ,i am married to my swedish husband we got married last may 2015,we've been applying the residence permit last dec 01 2014 then i got an interviewed last feb 05 2014 we was not married yet during we've apply the residence permit but after we got married my husband sent our marriage certificate to a tax agency in sweden and he sent it too to migration as additional document but until now we dont have any decision yet.my husband planning me to get a spousal visa since my residence permit are processing,do you think i will be granted with this?

Hi Dancel,

There is actually no "spousal visa" for Sweden other than this application for residence permit to move with your husband. Perhaps you meant the 90-day tourist visa? If that is what you're planning to apply for so you could go to Sweden while your residence permit is being processed, the Norwegian Embassy which handles the tourist visa applications for Sweden would likely refuse you that visa, simply because you have an ongoing application for residence permit to Sweden.

neslund921 wrote:

Good day cancel, as per your question, I don't clearly understand with what you meant by spousal visa. If it is the same as applying for a schengen visa that is good for only 3 months, we also asked it from migrationsverket. They said, we can apply for it since I am married with a Swedish citizen but the bad thing is, they will put your residence permit on hold. They will not make a decision not unless you are back in the Philippines. I just don't understand why the other EU country has spousal visa like Germany, wherein they will just apply and the visa will be released and after that, they can apply for a residence permit upon arriving in an EU nation. Sweden is not included with those.

Hi Neslund,

Each European countries has its own visa/residence permits regulations. In Nordic countries like Sweden, Denmark, Norway, this spousal visa is called "residence permit for family reunification". In these Nordic countries, you could usually marry at their country even if you only have a tourist visa...although you will have to go home to apply for a residence permit to join your husband in his country. And then wait for the result of your application.

Hej..
Im aware that i have to go back to Philippines to process my residential permit.. its just my bf wants me to.. anyway im going to submit my documents on october 5.. Im pretty nervous about it..  I dont know what blog u have,, hope i can read it anytime soon..

Greetings
Kate