COVID-19: Is your job at risk?

Hello everyone,

We are looking for testimonies of expats who are currently unsure about their job given the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the global labour market.

Are you being able to work from home?

Have you been temporarily laid off?

Are you being forced to go to work?

Feel free to drop me a private message if you would like to share your experience.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards,
Veedushi
Expat.com Team

I'm working from home at the moment but it's hopelessly inefficient for a number of reasons.

I work as a conversation teacher so, as you can imagine, that's not an easy task from home with no proper facilities and not very much co-operation from schools, not because they're being stroppy, more because they're all running around like crazy trying to sort everything out.

As the shutdown is expected to last far longer than first thought, it's possible contracts will be terminated and my job will go, however, I'm in the happy position of not caring about cash so it doesn't much matter if it happens.

The latest news is schools are not really expected back until the new school year (Many have already extended for another two weeks), that meaning the likelihood of contracts being terminated are fair to good.  That will leave expats on company KITAS in difficult positions, but will have no real effect on me at all. As for cash - I have enough so that isn't much of a worry.

My boss is a fool that demands meetings in Jakarta - if he does that again, I will make like Strepsiades and flip a bird his direction. I'm not much into scares, but blind stupidity is more than I'm willing to engage in for cash.
The company I work for is run by a clueless fool, a man that demands meeting between teachers at a time when that's unwise, and in a place that has more covid 19 cases than any other area of the country.
That's clearly stupid and something I will refuse to do next time he asks. Last time he told all employees they could leave if they didn't like it - I will accept his kind offer.

As for dealing with the situation, I'm preparing work using a Youtube channel (Getting a lot of hits but not enough to make a bob from it), and I have yet to give any thought to what I will do if the job goes - I have other irons in the fire and I have no money worries.

I'm working on a big civil work project in Ghana. I've not other possibility that to be on site.

The risk is real but if you respect the sanitary conditions, and with a average temperature of 30°C, none of us is ill.

Each day, my house and my office are sterilized with a mix of bleach water.

I'm more under stress for my family who's in Belgium.

I just changed job and am still in probation for a few more days.
My company sent us on home office early on (where, due to school closures, two bored kids prevent poductive work) and will start imposing reduced working hours (and pay) soon. My industry, industrial machinery and facilities, will certainy see a huge drop in turnover.
I am financially in a good situation that can bridge months, but not years. So the worries are there.
But the situation is worse for many others, among them our tenants - I always rent out to socially disadvantaged people at below market rates.

Hello Fred, phipiemar and beppi,

Thanks for your replies.

I'm contacting you all by PM.

Warm regards,
Veedushi
Expat.com Team

I have recently come to Thailand to teach English as I had to close my company down due to customer not being able to pay - as our government did not pass over the budgets to the industry I was supplying, leaving me in a huge amount of stress for two years. My intention was to start this new adventure but due to schools being closed, I only got paid for three weeks of work and now in a tight spot. I am on my PC everyday applying for online teaching positions but I assume everyone is doing the same and making it extremely difficult for someone like me with little experience trying to start new.

I know many people are in similar situations and I wish them all the best in getting through this difficult time.

CoronaVirus pandemic literally turned people's lives upside down.
As a visitor, my jobseeking journey has been freezed, one of my friends was determined and others are being laid off.
What we are going through will have a long-term impact.
I hope we all wake up from this nightmare as soon as possible.

Hoping that the little hope remaining in many of us is not undermined by the meltdown of the financial system we fear to see become effective...

True that it is going to impact all the industries.. But never let down our spirit. Be positive is the success mantra in these tough times. Hope for the best!!

Fortunately, no, I'm a kind of freelancer, so, it's ok for me to work being at home.

yes, all industries are effected. our industry is expat shared apartment industry in Shanghai, China, no foreigners, we cut rent sharply to attract local ones. on the brink of lossing job. hope it will be over asap.

I am working from home now. Not the best way and definitely not the most effective. Hope this craziness will be over soon.

In my point of view with temperatures starting to raise and the increase of the UV index further virus distribution will be slowed down significantly. In the mean time pharmaceutical industry will probably come out with a vaccine and some sort of medications to seriously fight the virus.

So try to stay healthy and safe, wear masks, avoid risky contacts and places, use hand sanitizers and in 2 months everything will be over.

There will be plenty of job opportunities then, since companies will be striving to restore their previous state. Even now some companies are hiring - I live in Bulgaria and I can see job ads for shared service center  looking for people with financial background, HR background etc. speaking french, german, dutch etc.

So things are moving in the right direction. You just have to find way to survive for 2 more months.  Nature and Science are already starting to help.

Everything effected by this situation, we need to pray to end soon

Currently on probation. So technically they can fire me for free...

Luckily, my employer is large enough to not only weather through this but is actually directly dealing with this virus from a financial perspective (employer group health plans).

I'm a teacher in a mrivate school and I do believe that my job is on jeopardy, I am teaching online now and it is harder and more work than teaching in person.I am sure many of our parents will be unpaid thus they won't pay the school and we will be unpaid as well.
So far , my administration is being very supportive and humain but if anything wrong happens , I won't blame them.
I am afraid that if this lasts for more than 6 months   , the situation will be really bad, if all the factories are closed how are we gonna provide for what we need?

My job has now gone, and I'm pretty happy about it because my boss knew his mummy, but his mummy didn't know who his daddy was.

Well I'm a Native English tutor here, haven't had a long term school job since moving to BSD from the Salemba area of Jakarta 5 years ago, but I have had some private students to stay somewhat busy with, including some long term privates that I still have, and have started doing online lessons for now to keep them happy. It's true that online teaching is more complicated & time consuming, but I plan on making some adjustments to make it simpler, after all, what choice do I have?

No not personally, but some of the people I know had their hours cut. It's sad, not everyone is able to prepare financially as other people.

I am a nurse.  My job is most secure.  Unfortunately, it always will be.

Working from home is not an option.

Khalida.UNC wrote:

I am a nurse.

THANK YOU, for what you do!!!!

Stay protected and safe!!!

that's a grate thing which God has put in you.

VWC wrote:
Khalida.UNC wrote:

I am a nurse.

THANK YOU, for what you do!!!!

Stay protected and safe!!!

It is my pleasure.

Im nurse by profession and a nurse by work but it doesn't always mean that we are stable in our job.
Remember that some non essential medical clinics and centres has been shut off, and some displacement medical team don't have income generating resources so probable a Lay-off or No work No Pay
Dont ever think that most of them work in an hospital base even some hospitals do some acts to prevent fall down.

Keep smiling and stay healthy

Lost my job due Corona pandemic

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR