Consequences of coronavirus and Canadian Consulate response

Is anyone is trying to return to Canada but encounter difficulties to do so in the wake of all airlines shut down? There is a possibility that the shut down will be extended yet for another month. Will be glad to hear any advice (all I am getting from our Consulate is to get registered....  What a comprehensive piece of advice, isn't it?....... "Well, I am registered, all right! .......That's all they forearm their stranded citizens with?  Before I thought I was a taxpayer... Now being stranded and not a word from our Consulate, I am not so sure. Anyone else in such a situation? Please, advise

I. Mravinsky
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

The situation isn't helped by most countries closing their borders to all but their own residents, so you can't even travel to an adjoining country to try and on-move from there.

I think you may be stuck where you are until this issue is either resolved or enough Canadians are identified that warrant a special Government flight to get you home from Ukraine - they have already done one in North Africa and Spain.  I've found a website that appears to be providing some information for Canadians; this link will take you there.

One last piece of advice; you say you spoke to the Canadian consulate; while these are useful places in normal times, you may be better speaking to your Embassy; the subtle difference between the 2 is that the Embassy is actually your Government, while the Consulates can be anything but that; this link will take you to their website which has contact information.

If you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

I wish you the best and hope this helps a little.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you, Cynic for your sound advice! Especially the one, which did not occur to me at all was to contact the Embassy (I thought only the Consulate was to provide assistance in such a circumstance).   It is, indeed, a well thought out and clever advice. I will definitely act towards that. To tell the truth, I was surprised by the Consulate's quite dismissive and callous response

Thank you again, Cynic