Splitting from Girlfriend selling Condo In my name

I am sadly splitting from.Girlfriend. I travel from UK every 7 to 8 weeks to spend time with my son who is now 2 years old. I bought a condominium here in Aracaju . She lives with her mum and I stay there when I visit. The condo is my my name only. But we both paid a little towards the refurbishment. Probably 65% me to 35% her. I paid for the property our hase myself. I am from London. What process do I need to follow for the sale of condominium. Alarm bells rang when she once said if we dont buy the place we will split!!

Needing advise. Shall I instruct a lawyer here in aracaju to handle situation.

Thank you

MKP

MKP

Sorry to hear about your breakup.

Sounds like you'll definitely need legal advice in setting up the sale, from someone not associated with your girlfriend and her family.  If you and your soon-to-be ex have a "união estável" registered in a cartório, that probably includes a distribution of assets that could affect the sale.  Even if you don't, it  sounds like she has ideas about the property, and money in it.  And Brazilian courts will have an interest in the future support of your son.

Good luck!

I will always continue to pay support for the child, I currently pay around 2000 real a month which she advises is more than adequate. So will continue.

I want to ensure the sale is protected from her so ensure my son is the sole benifiery of funds and not her and he boyfriend.

Thanks

MKP

There is no união estável" as my solicitor carried out the purchase in my sole name only.

Hopefully I can get this rechecked.

Thanks

MKP

Sorry to hear of your situation. You have a big problem. A strong or firm relationship with the woman could be interpreted as "união estavel" even if you don´t live together or had it formalized in a cartório. You invested together in a condo... And you stay and sleep in the same condo every 7-8 weeks during your visits... It already sounds like an "união estavel." She probably has witnesses aside from her mom... She has money invested so she is entitled to a part of the proceeds. And how about a spousal support (alimony) as a common law wife? You should lawyer up and bring her into the discussion of how you would proceed. She might also get a lawyer, so don´t be surprised and be prepared!

Just giving you the possible scenarios. I hope you´re still friends and I wish you the best. Good luck!

robal

Thank You Robal, really appreciate the advice.
When I  visit we dont stay at the New condo we stay at her mother's home namely due to the childs school being near to her mothers home. We have stayed in the condo maybe 10 days In total. Since it has been refurbished.

Thanks

Manoj

You look ok with the stable union side. You still must consult a lawyer about the division of the proceeds of the sale. At imobiliárias
(real estate agencies) there are usually in-house lawyers that could help with the sale
and distrbution of the proceeds.

Thank you so much Robal, really appreciate your advice again.

Many thanks

MKP

You're welcome.