Broke engineer wants to live in the office

I will be moving to Singapore next week. I am joining a tech company which has an onsite gym, showers, food and napping pods.

Because of heavy student loans, I want to try to live in the office to save on the rent. Employees are allowed access to the office 24/7. On the weekends I might stay with a date. I am assuming that meeting women will not be a problem :)

How feasible is this option from a legal and lifestyle perspective?

PS: I am 23, a fresh graduate, single. Fixed monthly salary is SGD 7000

Most depends on your company - The dates depend on your personality, perhaps the mental state of any ladies you speak to and, in some cases, how much you can afford.

Altogether a harebrain scheme!
About sleeping the the office, you better check with your superiors first - and if they agree (which I expect highly unlikely), be prepared not to have a bed or privacy (as those do not tend to exist in offices).
Apart from this, you need a residence where you are legally registered (and letters can reach you). I doubt that a corporate address  suffices. If not, you'll have to rent a room somewhere anyway. (At the salary you mention, you can afford it: Simple rooms start below S$1000/month!)

broke_engineer wrote:

On the weekends I might stay with a date. I am assuming that meeting women will not be a problem

You are deluding yourself here!
Even if a Singapore girl is indeed interested in you (Keep in mind: They are usually socially conservative, materialistic and expensive to maintain!), she most likely lives with her parents and other family members in a small flat lacking space for a boyfriend (and will also remain there - moving out before marriage is almost unheard of). For nightly adventures, the man is generally expected to pay the hotel room (and drinks, which are particularly expensive in Singapore).

I really congratulate you for getting a work visa (very difficult for a fresh graduate!) and such a high pay (almost double of what the average fresh graduate gets!). Now try not to spend more than you have - although in the world's most expensive city, you might find this a difficult rule to keep ...

I have seen videos of the office. I would be able to get enough privacy. This would need to happen under the radar as my superiors are unlikely to approve something like this. What would be the consequences if I get found out?

Regarding women in Singapore, won't there be people like me, who have moved to Singapore alone?

And do you mean getting a work visa is difficult or getting a job is difficult? Because I have the job offer but haven't received the visa yet. I don't think that should be an issue though since such a big tech firm  would not be wasting its time hiring freshers if the MOM was simply going to reject them.

Nobody means nobody stays in office and using office as his rented house in Singapore (I'm talking about white collar jobs). So, there is not even 0.001% possibility that your employer will allow you stay inside office 24/7.

Secondly, getting work visa for a fresher is not that easy, no matter whether your employer is a small firm or big. They have to provide evidence that they tried locally but couldn't get any suitable candidate who can fit into this role but found a fresher from another country has those skills to match.
Thirdly, S$7k for a fresher is relatively quite high in Singapore. Even NUS students (This Singapore university is in TOP 20 globally past many years) are being offered in an average salary of S$4.5 per annum. So, your employer has to provide further evidence why they are hiring with such a package to a fresher.

That doesn't mean I'm saying your work pass won't be approved but tough to get through MoM selection process.

Fourthly, if your application was approved then you must have to show a rented house as your address before your work pass card allotted. Hence, staying in office was impossible and without a rented house (can be whole unit or subletting room inside it) your stay in Singapore is also impossible as it's mandatory. Good luck

Note: About girls, this is not a dating site. So, keep this site clean and discuss based on categories are created here as per the requirements for our expats. You can visit many dating or social sites for your search of girls.

broke_engineer wrote:

This would need to happen under the radar as my superiors are unlikely to approve something like this. What would be the consequences if I get found out?

Immediate dismissal - especially if you're still in probation.

broke_engineer wrote:

Regarding women in Singapore, won't there be people like me, who have moved to Singapore alone?

There might be some. No idea, though, where/how to find such an “expat dating scene”. Maybe in the expensive expat nightlife spots? It's certainly not widespread.

broke_engineer wrote:

I will be moving to Singapore next week.

Let's first see whether you can get the visa - which I also believe unlikely. You seem to be naive about various issues.
Please report back here!

Just wanted to provide an update. My E-pass has been approved. The whole process took about a week.

surya2k wrote:

Note: About girls, this is not a dating site. So, keep this site clean and discuss based on categories are created here as per the requirements for our expats. You can visit many dating or social sites for your search of girls.

I didn't mean to break the forum rules. I wasn't searching for girls. Just trying to figure out if staying with someone I would potentially meet was a viable option.

beppi wrote:

Let's first see whether you can get the visa - which I also believe unlikely. You seem to be naive about various issues.
Please report back here!

The reason I was confident in getting the visa was because the HR had told me that it was rare for an applicant to be rejected. It is a prestiguios tech firm and the interview process is very competitive (2 million people apply for a job there every year). I assumed they knew what they are talking about.