Moving to Ambergris Caye

Hello!

I am seriously considering moving to Ambergris Caye in November of 2020. I am trying to collect all the information I can on making the move. Some of my questions include:

1. What is the typical cost of living on the island? (Rent, utilities, internet, phone, groceries, etc) I am just looking for a rough figure.

2. I plan to teach English online with VIPKid or DaDaABC. Has anyone had experience with this? Is the internet strong enough to support this?

3. I know I will need a work permit for what I have listed in number 2. I have read you have to be a citizen before obtaining that. Is that true? Or would I be able to obtain one before becoming a citizen?

If anyone would like to tell me anything else or about their personal experience, I would greatly appreciate it!

Hi,
I'm in a different district so can't really help with all your questions but San Pedro Scoop usually has good articles and advice you might find helpful.

https://www.sanpedroscoop.com/2013/09/e … otely.html

Welcome to the forum.
First off, we don't live on Ambergris, just visit :).
1. It will depend on your wants and needs. It seems some people live on Ambergris for about $1,500/mo (US), but that might not be up to your 'standard of living', and you might need to sacrifice some conveniences.
2.If you work on-line, and your income comes from outside of Belize, you don't need a work permit. Ambergris has good internet service, but like infrastructure in all of Belize, reliability can be an issue.
3. Read previous threads here regarding work permits. You can get a work permit before permanent residency, but it doesn't sound like you will need that.  Once you have permanent residency, which takes more than a year, you don't need a work permit. You can't get citizenship until 5 yr after permanent residency.

Hi
I lived on the Island last year, (San Pedro) a decent place is going to cost between 1,000 and 1,200 U.S dollars. My electric was about 50. U.S a month, water was about 30 U.S a month and cable and internet were about70. U.S a month. The internet was pretty fast, however the Island do have power outages from time to time. That is just an estimate of the monthly cost. I would suggest you not rent site unseen. That's what I did and I was so disappointed. The pictures can be deceiving. I also had to put a deposit down for my utilities of 250. U.S when I left they refused to refund my deposit., they gave no reason. So be careful there are a few shady folks on the Island.

I was in San Pedro just this past August looking at property and was told that you can't live on the island for less than  $2k per month for all expenses. Nearby Caye Caulker is cheaper. There are a lot of people who live there and work in San Pedro. Service back and forth is by water taxi, a very reliable mode of transportation. That cost would need to be factored in.