Living in phils

Yes it is much nicer than Manila or Cebu.  Crime is much better and appears much cleaner.  Downside is the traffic even though the local drivers manage somehow.

Cebu is 80% the cost of Manila and Davao is about 80% the cost of Cebu (this was true in 2003, was based on my "gut", later backed up by US DOS allowances table I found on the WEB). Haven't been to RP in 11 years, but a very well to do expat friend living in Cebu says that the infrastructure hasn't kept up with the growth. Cebu did have much more western oriented "stuff" back then, but Davao was livable, much more so than say Laoag or Vigan in Northern Luzon. Tagaytay, south of Manila might also be a place to consider. Another friend built a house a couple of hours north of CDO, but now regrets being so close to his wife's extended family; said that he'd been to Dumaguette on Negros and maybe should have moved there. I was careful when in Davao though to not go "up" too far to the Circumferential Road, as friends told me there were pockets of NPA there. I did go up that way to give another friend a ride home in a taxi and all was fine. I never did stray out of Davao, just up to "Eden", Philippine Eagle and over to Paradise Island on Samal Island (the inexpensive one, LOL). Latest info for annual housing expense by US DOS for their employees is:

Annual Living Quarters Allowance In U.S. Dollars (DSSR 130)

Rates Effective: 07/27/2014

Country           City           With Family                             Without Family
                                         (The Numbers are for 3 different groups or classes of employees)
PHILIPPINES    Manila    39000     36700     34200     37900     34200     26100
PHILIPPINES    Other    27900     25400     22700     26500     22700     20200

So it appears that in "other areas", the allowance is appx. 72% of Manila, just as a rule of thumb. Another nice thing about Davao was no trikes allowed.

[moderated: off topic + inappropriate comment]

what an arrogant posting that is - I have a Filipino gf and she has far more tolerance than you.

london guy in kl wrote:

[moderated]

Nothing constructive or informative in your post and off topic.

Perhaps you should inform us of why you would not live among such uncivilized people as you so arrogantly put it and how you came to the conclusion.

Agree Stumpy, lets hope he stays in KL but then again, do they deserve to have to put up with him

Hello everyone,

This user did not respect our policies and i have moderated his post.

I think we can now concentrate on the topic of this thread.

Thank you.
Christine

Just been in Davao almost a full month, not one single problem I encountered in terms of safety.  Walked around all hours but really using good sense and being aware of your surroundings goes a long way too.

Also spent some time on Samal Island, no problems there either.

The problem is this, abroad you get news bulletins about a kidnapping with a broad outline as to where the event happened, for instance Mindanao (kiwi news for example).  All the detail is left out either through lack of information or naivety as to the more involved nature.  So straight away the whole of the lower end of the Philippines is now "seen" as dangerous or a place to be avoided by other countries.

Duterte is needed in NZ too, his hardline on drugs and government corruption will snap this place into shape quick smart!

Allanna wrote:
Okieboy wrote:
Allanna wrote:

Just let me say. Your friend was probably muslim. So of course would be safer. As for you not experiencing problems. You wouldnt, because you are a local. You always hear of the Philippines army having gun battles with muslim extremists in Mindanao. Please take a look at the website dedicated to travel safety and then decide.

http://www.safetravel.govt.nz/destinati … ines.shtml

if  you believe the  information they put out you would not  leave  your  house  any were in the  world, i hear  this crap all the time, i have  been here off and  on for  40years i see more  crime in the  western world,i can't remember the  last  time  a  gunman went into a school and  shot  the  kids

Its good to get that kind of information from the horses mouth. (Please excuse the expression) NZ is a well know nannie state and too busy telling everyone what they should be doing. Pisses me off to be honest. Would love to head down that way sometime. Is that where they have the Great Philippine Eagles? I'd give an arm to see one of them.

keep your arm and visit us in Mati city were i see the eagle fishing at times hahaha.i gues all places have advantiges or disadvantiges ,the reason i like ithere is that this is a very calm smal city very unpoluted and in the evening very quit ,we lived in Davao and founded it poluted and even late at night very noisy(pasing jeeps and trikes ,neighbors karaoke and such) here clean air very nice beaches close to the city .
we'r notinterested in nightlife so the lack of it we dont mind.
Mati city i surounded whit great nature reserves and we love it here.

greets Dirk

Try Daet, Camarines Norte. located in the Bicol region. It's not a city but a busy and safe town with plenty of beaches nearby.

Hello mate, try Coron Palawan. I've been there once and I would love to stay more over there because of the beautiful islands and some portion of islands is white beach.. so clean and no rubbish.

I have just been trough this - I S E R I O U S L Y doubt you will ive here.

I did my level best to rent a house and live with my GF until her visa pops.  Not a chance.  Can't get the most basic things - like wire nuts - robertson screws - and simple wood is so expensive you can't afford it....   Traffic and the unbelievable pollution pouring out of those damn jeepneys...

You won't live here.  Try, if you like.  Some people just have to learn the hard way :)