Negotiating salary and benefits in England

Hello everyone,

Better job prospects in England can most certainly be an incentive to leave your country of origin. Securing a contract with the right salary and benefits for you can be crucial to make your move successful.

Is salary and benefits negotiation regarded as common practice in England? If yes, how should you go about negotiating your package (during the hiring process, on a monthly/yearly basis...)?

What do you expect to be included in terms of benefits in your package? Which benefits do you deem necessary in England?

Is tax on the salary of an expat applicable in England or do you have to turn to tax bodies in your country of origin to pay your taxes?

Do the exchange rates of currencies impact your salary as an expat?

Looking back, are there some changes you would have made during the negotiation of your salary and benefits package?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

Bhavna wrote:

Better job prospects in England can most certainly be an incentive to leave your country of origin.

That depends on the country of origin. I came with a very different opinion, about 15 years ago; when I had to look for international customers 2.5 years ago due to the economy slowing down into the abyss, that opinion got worse; today, my opinion is at its lowest level.

Bhavna wrote:

Securing a contract with the right salary and benefits for you can be crucial to make your move successful.

Gonna be tough.

Bhavna wrote:

Is salary and benefits negotiation regarded as common practice in England? If yes, how should you go about negotiating your package (during the hiring process, on a monthly/yearly basis...)?

You'd better go through it, since annual increases are crap. If you get 2% that's the jackpot. So in 10 years time, apply the maths!

Bhavna wrote:

What do you expect to be included in terms of benefits in your package? Which benefits do you deem necessary in England?

Not much because there's no room for benefits. The "package" will stay standar across UK companies.

Bhavna wrote:

Is tax on the salary of an expat applicable in England or do you have to turn to tax bodies in your country of origin to pay your taxes?

For the paneuropean ones, check the EU regulation dated 2014. Unfortunately, it might not be very applicable soon.

Bhavna wrote:

Do the exchange rates of currencies impact your salary as an expat?

Apologies or the negative tone Bhavna but you started the thread with a disturbing statement. Job prospects in the UK are very low. Daily rates for contractors have gone down about 100% in the last 10 years, labour laws and tax regulations have made the market very hostile to small businesses as well as qualified professions.

In terms of benefits, the UK is designed to not offer any. Unless you call a corporate health insurance a benefit of course (!). So, I'd say.... are you after the prospect of well paid protected good jobs? Well go to Luxembourg or Belgium?

Salaries can be very good sometimes but mainly if the job you are applying for is specialized or very highly skilled. My friend has just been offered a job with a massive salary for one year as a consultant. Benefits include airfare home, housing allowance and insurance.