Why such a big difference in property prices?

We are planning on buying in Hungary first as a holiday home then as a permanent home .
We have for the last five years been to alzoors balaton and love it .
But want to by a home in the countryside. I have looked at wine houses but want one in a village so there is shops Caffè and people.
So looking in the smogy country property can be found from £20000 but on the other side of the lake the same will cost you £30000 then if I go to the north of Hungary near lake tiza you can buy it for £10000  is it like the uk London -Manchester -Edinburgh  is there more crime in some parts than others?  Or is it just jobs and transport links that's makes the difference.
From what I have read I should be looking at properties near pecs as many are recommending that part .

Martinandali wrote:

We are planning on buying in Hungary first as a holiday home then as a permanent home .
We have for the last five years been to alzoors balaton and love it .
But want to by a home in the countryside. I have looked at wine houses but want one in a village so there is shops Caffè and people.
So looking in the smogy country property can be found from £20000 but on the other side of the lake the same will cost you £30000 then if I go to the north of Hungary near lake tiza you can buy it for £10000  is it like the uk London -Manchester -Edinburgh  is there more crime in some parts than others?  Or is it just jobs and transport links that's makes the difference.
From what I have read I should be looking at properties near pecs as many are recommending that part .

Like everywhere, it's location, location, location. 

South of the lake, it's got the highway back to Budapest.  Since most house owners are weekenders or just a few weeks a year, then  south is easy to get to.   The season is short too and once 1st September rolls around, it's very quiet and less touristy.  It's because work and school starts again. 

Pecs is far away but some seem to like it but it depends what your needs are.  If you want to retire, then think about access to healthcare and your social support circles and possibly transport out of the country.  Out in the countryside, services are not as easily available as places closer to Budapest. 

As for crime, it's not a major thing if you take precautions common elsewhere. You're more likely to get ripped off than the locals though.

That's a great help thank you retire is not a option just yet and the way it is in the UK at the moment I will be dead by the time I get to retirement. We are looking for a home that's easy to look after.  Small and would like it in the country side.  It's interesting about travelling to and from as I had not thort of that as if we are flying really there is only budapest to fly into from the UK driving would work that way you come in from Austria so south and north of Balaton may be best .I allso see a airport over that way but don't at the moment fly from the UK .could that change in time

Martinandali wrote:

That's a great help thank you retire is not a option just yet and the way it is in the UK at the moment I will be dead by the time I get to retirement. We are looking for a home that's easy to look after.  Small and would like it in the country side.  It's interesting about travelling to and from as I had not thort of that as if we are flying really there is only budapest to fly into from the UK driving would work that way you come in from Austria so south and north of Balaton may be best .I allso see a airport over that way but don't at the moment fly from the UK .could that change in time

Heviz Balaton (Sarmallek) airport is a former Russian base but only operates seasonal charter flights and some flight training I think.  It's hardly ever open. Ryanair used to fly in and out of there but stopped. For "long distance" westwards, the place to fly from is Vienna. It's not that far away.   Other airports are a possibility - Graz or Zagreb for example. 

It takes 2 days to drive to the UK if you do not want to hurry but you can do it in less if you have more than 2 drivers.  We always did 2h on/2h off.  With 3 drivers, you get 4h rest and can drive continuously.

I've always lived in Budapest and the suburbs.  If you live in the countryside, it'll be very quiet in the winter.  Depends on how old and healthy you are - if you are likely to need medical services or even public transport, then the edge of a large town or a city is probably best.

If you are looking at old country or village houses (and most are old house in your price range you quoted), they are probably going to need renovation. Budget for that. And they also will probably have issues with creeping damp. These houses are designed to be lived in 24/7/365, and if you don't keep them heated in the winter, and aired in the summer you may experience recurrent mold problems.

I live in the country side, and quite frankly there is plenty of public transportation all year, even in the Winter. Buses go to most villages in Hungary all year round, and all villages and towns on the north side of the Balaton have a rail connection (as you probably already know as does Alsóörs).

But do be aware that north-south roads to Austria are often mostly back country roads (a few faster ones, but it varies), so travel to and from Vienna is not really that fast. There are plenty of trains from Vienna which can connect you to a bus south to the Balaton.

See this web site for bus connections:

https://menetrendek.hu/

and this one for Hungarian trains:

http://elvira.mav-start.hu/

But also do consider, the further in the countryside you get, you will find fewer and fewer (if anyone) that speaks English. That includes all government officials, workers you need to take care of your property when you are not there, doctors, dentists, people at the café, etc.

Another link is worth looking at > https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Vienna/Balaton-Hungary

Austrian Trains > https://oebb.at/en

SimCityAT wrote:

Another link is worth looking at > https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Vienna/Balaton-Hungary

I like rome2rio.com. I have used it a lot.

But your link is to the "village" of Balaton, north of Egar, in North Eastern Hungary.

The OP was talking about "Lake Balaton". 

There is a "slight" difference.....   :D