Tap water in Ukraine

Hello! I've been thinking about going on vacation to Kiev, Ukraine. But after having read some stories about tourists falling ill whilst abroad in Ukraine, I'm a bit reluctant.

I read somewhere that the tap water in Ukraine isn't safe to drink because it's contaminated, is this true? Does that also mean that you can't have a shower, wash your hands or your face?

Obviously here in France the tap water is of good quality & isn't contaminated so we're used to drinking tap water without having to worry about becoming sick. Obivously this isnt the case in every country.

I find it confusing, it makes me wonder do you Ukranians feel clean after taking a shower with contaminated water? Also how do you wash vegetables/fruits? Do you use bottled water?

I hope some Ukranians can shed some light about the tap water situation in Ukraine. I wouldnt want this issue prevent me from visiting your beautiful country :)

Hi. You can take shower, wash your hand, brush your teeth, wash vegetables and fruits and do all other regular stuff with tap water in Ukraine. Although do not drink it.

I know that some people drink it but I do not think that is good for your health and usually the filtering systems used to filter tap water were installed in the USSR times and have not been renovated or modernized since then.

Thanks for your reply! So what happens if you drink tap water? And if whilst taking a shower or bruushing your teeth you accidently swallow water, do you become ill?
What about ice cubes, do you Ukranians use ice cubes from tap water or bottled water?

Amateurtraveller wrote:

Thanks for your reply! So what happens if you drink tap water? And if whilst taking a shower or bruushing your teeth you accidently swallow water, do you become ill?
What about ice cubes, do you Ukranians use ice cubes from tap water or bottled water?

When I was a student many years ago I used to drink tap water. I survived:) The taste was not that good but a simple filter you can buy in a supermarket for $10 solved that problem completely.
There is nothing super dangerous in tap water in Ukraine, in Kyiv at least. Just do not drink it to avoid any problems as a precaution.
The same with ice cubes. I do not know about other people but I use bottled water for that.

Hi there

I have lived in Odessa (and still do) for over 3 years , visit Kiev most months and as a general rule stick to Greykyiv guidelines. Cheap filter jug or buy bottled pack of six bottles $1. Just shop around , you can always use the artisan sites which is 100% clean

regards

martin

You can find public fountains with very good water in many places… and it is free