EXPAT ~AFFAIRS

Having spent my working life in education, we often, (in England) employed lecturers who lived in one city during the week and went home at weekends. Most of these lecturers, both male and female, end up with a friendship circle in the town in which they work, often leading to an affair.
Loneliness and boredom, are issues, as people we like company, and find comfort where we are.
It is not about being as expat, it is about the need for affection.

Hello there , i have an idea.

why don't you find some volunteer activities or join fitness or running marathon somewhere cause from that you will meet lots of new people and you will get more connection easier.  i understand sometimes loneliness can cause something horrible but try to fix that gap with some positive advantage activities, maybe you can spend your lonely time in class ( handcraft , hobbies ). when you surround yourself with Good/ Positive people it will bring happiness to your life.

There's nothing wrong with creating a new circle of friends and activities in a place where you spend a substantial amount of your time. Life would be poorer without it.
But one should always know where one's heart is.

Hi there,

Is there any expat communities is your place?  :)
Usually expat communities make expat events so they could gather, meet each other and share information and knowledge. I think the more you meet people with same background with you (being expat), the better. So it could lessen your lonelinnes and boredom  :)
Take care !

Sorry, but I'd advice strongly against hanging out with fellow expats only!
It often leads to what I call "expatism" - a status where one is phyically but not mentally in the host country, tries to live a life like "back home" and is often rather critical about everything the new environment offers.
Much better to make the new location home and adjust to it with with all senses.
(I personally, in my 15 years abroad, always felt uncomfortable and avoided contact with those afflicted by "expatism".)

I agree totally, little countries within a host does not help integration, and foster  superiority often by the expat community

I see this 'lonelinnes' and 'boredom' as a form you miss your home, your people, and your culture. Going to expat community means you could share experience and knowledge about how to 'behave' like an expat in a host country, so you would learn something about the host country, or information about what you should do and don't in a host country.
Of course, I personally don't want you or other expat only socialize with only expat, but there is term as well, 'our own kind of people'.  I believe balance between it would be great as well. :)

It's a matter how do we as expats survive abroad alone far from friends and families

Eng.MAAKA wrote:

It's a matter how do we as expats survive abroad alone far from friends and families

I do understand your feeling  :)

But I personally think that you don't have to be all alone. Try to socialize but find your own style.

Don't trust people easily, but find a person, even, several people whom you could trust.

Of course, it is not easy task. I admit it.

Sometimes it's not easy to find someone of my style. People are different. Culture is also different and sometimes restrict getting involved easily

I didn't say you would find someone of your style, each person is different, of course.
I suggest to socialize, but find your own style. You could be an easy going person, or reserved but care with your environment, or active and diynamic person, however, don't forget the culture and environment around you. Adapt with it and use it in your daily life  :)

Of course, culture is different. Even if I go to other city but still in same country, I would find culture in the city is different as well, far different from my origin city.

And about restriction to get involved, this is, indeed, difficult. However, heart could be changed easily time by time, after much hard work  :)

That's totally right. Thanks for speaking up

Eng.MAAKA wrote:

You're welcome. It is nice I could get a chance for speaking up. Good luck for you  :)

Leika Sari Islami wrote:
Eng.MAAKA wrote:

You're welcome. It is nice I could get a chance for speaking up. Good luck for you  :)

You too 😊

I AGREE!

beppi wrote:

Sorry, but I'd advice strongly against hanging out with fellow expats only!
It often leads to what I call "expatism" - a status where one is phyically but not mentally in the host country, tries to live a life like "back home" and is often rather critical about everything the new environment offers.
Much better to make the new location home and adjust to it with with all senses.
(I personally, in my 15 years abroad, always felt uncomfortable and avoided contact with those afflicted by "expatism".)

I could not agree more.  Those who want everything to be like their home should probably stay home.  One of the great advantages to living abroad is that you are somewhere different.  There is nothing wrong in meeting fellow expats from your home, but if you only surround yourself with your own kind, what is the point?

The key seems to relate to having been antisocial in your own country of origin, so that remaining isolated from others seems normal as you continue that abroad. 

That's mostly not intended seriously, but at the same time there is something to that, about expectations about forming a close-knit group of like-minded friends potentially not working out.

A lot of expats, like myself, are married, which alters the initial context involving someone routinely travelling and having relationships.  Calling those "affairs" implies they occur outside the bounds of an existing committed relationship, but I guess people might use that term differently.

Find activities and meet other expats

OR