Moving to Amsterdam

Hi,

I am currently located in the United Arab Emirates and I'm planning to move in to Amsterdam and look for a job. What's the odd of getting a job for English speaking only, what most likely is the job that I will get there and the visa processes.

Looking forward for a good conversation.

Regards,
Jele

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

At the top of the page is a link to our Discover section; if you mouse over that you'll get a drop-down menu with a link to our "The Netherlands Guide"; that contains a mass of details that will help answer many of the questions you may have.  Further, there are lots of pinned posts at the top of the forum that deals with specific issues.  My advice is to read both sources, then if you have any further specific questions, then come back to us.

As for your specific question, you haven't given us any information that would help us to answer it accurately, so my answer, based on what you've told us, has to be no chance.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi,

Thank you for replying back. I didn't get the link that as you have mentioned but to be more specific, I have a 4 years experience working in the UAE for Admin post and 2 years as Customer Service from my home country which is the Philippines. For sure I need to have a working visa to work in the Netherlands and I do not have any idea how to avail that other than applying online. Do you have any idea which expat websites in the Netherlands where I can apply?

Hi again.

You will need a work and residence visa to live and work in Holland; part of that process is you will have to learn Dutch and pass an exam.  All that is covered in the link at the top of the page (it's still there - I can see it as I sit here typing - it has a little blue globe to the left of it).  Once you have passed your exam you can apply for your joint residence/work visa (known as MVV).  If you don't have a job to go to (so a sponsor), then there is no guarantee it will be granted, it will depend if the Dutch Government think you can get work when you get here, so qualifications/experience are important.  Once you get your MVV and get to Holland, then there is a further (higher level) Dutch language examination you have to take.

Long-range job hunting is always problematic, to get a decent job anywhere you need 4 things:

Relevant qualifications - the Dutch are big on qualifications
Relevant experience
Speak the local language
Luck

Job agencies in the Netherlands are called "Uitzendbureau"; this link will take you to an on-line version where you can look for work/place your CV.  The problem you'll have is that unless you have a key-skill that is in great demand and they can't get enough people locally, the moment they realise you can't start work tomorrow morning, or speak Dutch, they will lose interest in your application; so you may well struggle to get work before you come to the Netherlands.

All that said, people such as yourself do come to Holland, do find work and have a great experience, all you can do is the best you can to prepare (so, learn the language, save money).

One word of warning, watch out for "scammers", people who offer you jobs or accommodation for a fee, or money upfront.  This is absolutely not necessary and these guys are almost certainly scammers.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Cynic,

Very well said. Thanks a lot :)