How do you know that someone is blackmailing you?

I think there are 2 kind of blackmailing :-

* The bad way of blackmailing :-

- When someone twisting your arms / threatening you using a very private details or things in order to do what they want.

- When someone using the close relationship with you to passes or push through something in a wrong way

* The Good way of blackmailing :-

When someone seeking for your forgiveness using kindness depending on your good heart ... sometimes it could be used as a bad blackmailing

It depends on the person you are dealing with, situations, actions

Additional to The good way of blackmailing

When someone using your good heart to pass or provide him anything he wants..... also it could be used in a bad way

Mariam Mohammadieh wrote:

There's a threat of some sort of action that could hurt you in some way, but they say the problem will go away if you do something they want.

There could the direct way which is rare and the indirect way which happens often. Either way do not be intimidated. Bashar H. Malkawi

Hi,
You will definitely know when some one is black mailing you, when you obey them and do what they want you to do, rather than do what you want to do. If you didn't do what they force you to do then they can harm you by telling or spreading rumours (true or not true) about you. It is low of the low act by some very narrow minded person.
You are who you are, you have the right to live your life the way you want to and do not be blackmailed by some narrow minded person. You will be forced to do things which you do not want to. It will never end. So, believe in Al-mighty and tell the person bring it on. Be brave and move on in your life, do not be dis-heartened by what they say.
It is a very awkward situation, at least you will suffer for a short while, but in long run you will not have to suffer or do things what the narrow minded person asks you or wants you to do for rest of your life.
I hope this puts your mind to rest.

What is a close topic for me! i was being blackmailed by my ex boyfriend. He manipulated me all time! It was terrible part of my life. Thank's my mother that save me! Now I'm happy and i can distinguish when people're blackmailing me.

There is Millions way of Blackmailing but it's depend which way you can got effected and someone can hold your brain to move on his/her way to use for their purpose.

rizali70 wrote:

It will never end. So, believe in Al-mighty and tell the person bring it on. Be brave and move on in your life.... you will suffer for a short while, but in long run you will not have to suffer or do things what the narrow minded person asks you or wants you to do for rest of your life....

"Bring it on", Rizali?  That's your advice?  Daring the blackmailer to do harm to you or yours?

Provoking an unprincipled person or group is dubious advice that could leave a life in ruins or even end it.

"You will not have to suffer for the rest of your life"?  You don't know this, Rizali.  Some violence produces life-long results.  Believing in an almighty being is no guarantee of safety.

cccmedia

Hiya,
Yes you are correct, but it can go either way and depends who you are dealing with. A monster or a coward. This society is full of many odd low minded people who cannot see people living happy. For some people it is an entertainment to see other innocent people suffer.
May Allah swt help them and help the person who is suffering through this kind of ordeal.

I think that an immediate response to your question is when you start asking yourself that exact question

Here's the definition. It's perfectly clear.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackmail

Fred wrote:
Mariam Mohammadieh wrote:

There's a threat of some sort of action that could hurt you in some way, but they say the problem will go away if you do something they want.

Is that like the missus fluttering her eyelashes with her hand out for your Credit card saying "Please Honey"  :cool:

rizali70 wrote:

Hi,
You will definitely know when some one is black mailing you, when you obey them and do what they want you to do, rather than do what you want to do. If you didn't do what they force you to do then they can harm you by telling or spreading rumours (true or not true) about you. It is low of the low act by some very narrow minded person.
You are who you are, you have the right to live your life the way you want to and do not be blackmailed by some narrow minded person. You will be forced to do things which you do not want to. It will never end. So, believe in Al-mighty and tell the person bring it on. Be brave and move on in your life, do not be dis-heartened by what they say.
It is a very awkward situation, at least you will suffer for a short while, but in long run you will not have to suffer or do things what the narrow minded person asks you or wants you to do for rest of your life.
I hope this puts your mind to rest.

"die on your feet or live on your knees" I know which I would rather do.

Sadly
due to our -ancient ancester's inherited innate naivety-
no one single human being is safe from being blackmailed,, 

-fortunately
we need to learn from our own previous experirences & common sense: 'that feeling that tells you that something fishy is going on at first sight no matter what- :/;)

no one is safe,,
even celebrities, as we know, had been blackmailed once,,
Lady Diana, Michael Jackson, Marilyn Monroe..
the list is endless,,

:up:

When your worst fear is being targeted as means of gaining benefit by others which also contributed to possible harm to you, physically, mentally or both.

It can be neutralize with systematic desensitization, rendering the balckmail useless against you.

"Blackmailing"- definition from the Oxford dictionary is: " demand money or another benefit from (someone) in return for not revealing compromising or damaging information about them." So if someone is threatening to expose you unless you give them money or some other favour then you know you are being blackmailed.

Maybe " manipulation" and "coercion" are the words you are looking for,  that tends to be a little more tricky to pick up on.

Definition of Manipulating "the action of manipulating someone in a clever or unscrupulous way"

I would explain manipulation as, to influence someone in an unfair manner which is totally self serving. It's more times detrimental to the person on the receiving end of such treatment.

Ask yourself these questions "Is this person using Fear, obligation or guilt" to get you to do something they want?
Is someone using your vulnerability, or their sexuality or your love or desire for them to achieve certain aims which are specifically for them. 
Do they involve themselves in behaviour which they say are for you but are actually for them to seem important?
Is someone trying to make you pity them so they elicit sympathy, but never seek to help themselves in their lives?
A person threatening self harm if you leave them even though they may be abusive.
There are many ways that people manipulate, those are just a few.  Manipulative people like to find your vulnerability and exploit it for personal gain. 
They use underhand  tactics to control people and keep them in positions which are totally self serving.
It generally feels rather confusing until you get their game.
Hope this helps.

There could the direct way which is rare and the indirect way which happens often.

When the P.I.'s photos are dropped off at your

residence with a note saying ''These are copies.

Your photos will be delivered to you wife/boss/D.A.

unless one million dollars in new bills is left at

day locker 32 at Penn Station on Friday  at 3 p.m.,"

you can consider yourself as blackmailed.

Meet expats all over the world

OR