Car insurance$

I have heard several times if you get on an accident you have to sit in jail for up to 72 hours until its figured out who's fault it was. That being said I also hear its usually blamed on the Expat/Gringo?? And they end up paying out$$. My questions are does having full insurance coverage actually save you from paying if you have an accident?? How much per year do expats pay for car insurance?? (For a car 2-5 years old).

Car owners are legally required to have insurance. Full-coverage car insurance includes money's to be paid to a third party and also includes legal representation if needed. The degree of coverage  vary depending on the insurance provider. The cost of the car insurance varies depending on the current vehicle value.

one thing you need to bear in mind is that unlike countries such as the USA and Canada, the insurance is on the vehicle, not the driver. in the US, if you just got your license last month, and you have racked up 5 speeding tickets in the last two weeks, forget about getting preferred risk insurance. preferred risk is when you choose the company with which you want to place your vehicle. in a case like that, you get assigned by a lottery.

in the DR, any guy can climb down off a donkey and get insurance, because it is based on the year of the car, the make and value, and the number of cylinders. the other add ons, like the get out of jail card are all a part of the bells and whistles which are available, and what the insured wants to pay for.

In the case of a serious accident you could well find yourself being imprisoned whilst the legal representatives of each party consider whose responsibilty the accident lies with.

It is therefore advisable that as part of ones insurance package 'casa de conductor' is included. You will then stay in better guarded accommodation whilst ones case is sorted. It can take a long time.

It is true that as an expat the odds are stacked against you and much more so if you are driving on a foreign license. It is advisable to have a lawyer to contact if in a serious accident as well as your insurance company.

As Mike states, the insurance is based upon the vehicle and I am currently paying the equivalent of US550 per annum for full comprehensive cover including recovery and 'casa de conductor' for a 2011 vehicle of value just over 11k which was a figure assessed by the insurance company. I've had no claims whilst I've been with Atlantic Seguros and despite a depreciating vehicle there are no 'no claims bonuses' and the price of insurance seems to keep increasing relative to vehicle value and probably not surprising based upon the number of accidents that occur in this country. I got 4 quotes before taking out the insurance first time and I guess at next renewal I will do the same to check if there is any complacency by my insurer.

Also bear in mind 2 things

1. The driver must have a license that is legal.

2. If anyone dies or could die, you are more likely to be held in custody.

Make sure to have full insurance and Casa De conductor depending where you will live and drive!

Casa de Conductor works in SD & STI.... not easy in other locales

My insurance is with Progreso Bank

I have a friend that is Dominican but living in USA, has his aparment and car in Santo Domingo and is paying his car insurance with Seguros Universal.  You have plenty of options, the most important is to pay a car insurance.

I just did my insurance for the upcoming years...$1500 US

About $1000 for full coverage on a 2015 Suzuki...

WillieWeb wrote:

I just did my insurance for the upcoming years...$1500 US

About $1000 for full coverage on a 2015 Suzuki...

My friend is paying 48,000.00 pesos por full coverage too, I think his car is also from 2011, not sure.

Full coverage can get very expensive.  Once a car is 8 to 10 years old you will see increases in the cost. This dissuades those who buy full insurance then the car disappears and insurance is collected.  That is what I have been told and it was and is an issue here.

Sorry....

$1,000 US for a 2015 Isuzu MUX...

total for both - low coverage on 2005 Jeep was 73,000 pesos

@Guest2022 Has anyone ever had to file a claim with Atlantic Seguros ? I'm asking because I got a good quote from them but wanted to see if anyone had trouble collecting. I have been told by several people that certain insurance companies will avoid your calls when you have a claim almost making it impossible to get car fixed etc. Just making sure this is not one of those companies.

I have not heard anything bad about them, but also not anything good either!   That usually means they are decent but not fabulous!   

Almost all insurance companies these days seem to be stalling!   Everything is becoming more time consuming and harder to manage!

@classygringo:  If you use a good broker your rates will be better and they will be the ones going after the insurance company.  Having purchased insurance with brokers and then direct and now back to a broker I found the broker makes all of the difference.  Fortunately, I now have a very good one.

That's good to know about Atlantic. And yes things to seem to becoming more time consuming that is one reason I was considering Unit (https://unit.com.do/) their website says they're 100% digital and they advertise that one can apply for insurance and claims online without having to go to an office. They may be a  subsidiary of Grupo Universal according to their site. Sounds interesting, but I can see where not having an office can be a good and a bad thing.

@classygringo: If you use a good broker your rates will be better and they will be the ones going after the insurance company. Having purchased insurance with brokers and then direct and now back to a broker I found the broker makes all of the difference. Fortunately, I now have a very good one.
-@DominicanadaMike

GOOD info - I have always used a broker and find them very very helpful! 

Are people allowed to suggest or provide good insurance brokers for us?

Thank you.

absolutely.   I will recommend any of the major companies with the exception of Mapfre!   Reservas,  Colonial, Universal are all good for vehicle insurance.  If you request quotes from a broker they will provide various options with  breakdowns for you.

FYI when you are ready I can do that for you.

@planner thank you!

FYI,I emailed you last week for assistance with the health insurance piece.

Have a grand day!

I believe I responded to you

@planner good morning. I have check all email folders including junk and trash and I do not see any emails from you.

Have a grand day!

Let me resend