Shipping a 1980 Jeep to Belize

Hello everyone,
Great topics and responses in just about everything I've looked for. Thank you all for sharing your experiences.
We are coming down mid May or so to spend 6 months and hoping to stay. Anyway, we're planning on shipping a 1980 Jeep CJ down. It's been fully restored and in great condition. Has any of you had any experience with this. I was just wondering about duty on a vehicle like this. It is a 4 cylinder.
Thanks!!!

Duty on vehicles brought into Belize is high. (see link below) But one can get a tourist permit to temporarily bring one in for up to six months. Before the six months is up it can be extended another six months. I have never done this, but I know two people that have, and one was a nexdor neighbor of mine that extended it for the additional six months.

In both cases they were driven from the US through Mexico then into Belize. They had to fill out the paperwork at the Mexico border and Belize border saying they were not leaving or selling it in the country and they had to buy insurance for each country before being allowed to bring it in.

In your case, I don't know if you could have it shipped to Mexico then drive it into Belize, or if it could be shipped in directly to Belize on the six month tourist permit. In any event if you are shipping it in, you will want to hire a customs broker to deal with things on the receiving end and they will be able to tell you the best approach.  Just be sure to talk to more than one broker to evaluate what they are telling you.

I think there are previous threads on here about doing the Mexico to Belize drive on a permit, so use the little magnifying glass in the upper right of the screen to search.

I just saw the Belize government has updated their customs website.
It looks far better and easier to navigate than the old one.

Lots of info here http://www.customs.gov.bz/index.html and even a link to the custom Brokers website. http://customsbrokers.bz/

Thanks Will. The 6 month thing sounds like what might work for us. We should know by then if we're going to stay or not.