Passport Stamping

Has anyone tried to get there passport stamped at the local police station instead of the immigration office? I read that you could either get your passport stamped at either place.

Visa extensions are only handled by Immigration offices. Especially since the latest scandals.

Brigitte, as seen on the following site....

http://www.belize-immigration.org/immigration/

Visitor Permit
This is the easiest, cheapest way to live in the country for a while, and it requires no long-term commitment. On entry, you get a free visitor permit good for up to 30 days. This permit can be renewed for up to three months at US$25 a month, and then for up to nine more months at US$50 a month. If you are staying in Belize for more than three months, you are supposed to have an AIDS test (performed in Belize).

To renew your tourist card, you'll need to visit a government immigration office in Belize City or Belmopan, or a police station in a district town. You are expected to show that you have sufficient resources to maintain yourself in Belize, at least US$60 a day, but this requirement is rarely enforced as long as you look respectable. If you fail to renew your permit in a timely way, or if you overstay your allotted time, technically you could be in violation of Belizean law and can be deported. At the very least, you will subject to questioning by an official and a possible fine.

I have never heard of anyone going to the police station but it says it above. Sure would help...not having to go to BC or BLMP to get a stamp every 30 days

Has anyone been asked to show a return ticket?

There are Immigration offices in Punta Gorda, Independence/Mango Creek, Dangriga, Belmopan, Belize City, Corozal, San Pedro, Benque and Santa Elena borders.
We've never been asked for a return ticket. We are part timers since 1997 and have about 4 extensions every year. Things seem to be changing though.

When i was there in San Ignacio about 3 years ago i went to the police station and ask them about getting my tourist Visa stamped and they told me to get it done in Belmopan. 

David

Does anyone know what immigration does if you are a day or 2 late getting your monthly stamp?

They can deport you, fine you or even throw you in jail

Is it true that we can get our passports stamped in Guatemala for $10??  Someone told me this yesterday. Or do you have to be from there? Since we are approaching our 6 months and we Are 6 people, this would be the cheapest way to stamp.  Thanks

Belize Immigration offices are the only ones doing Visa extensions and handling Belize immigration matters.

there is no way to circumvent the fees or the process of going to  immigration every 30 days.  Be careful with it.  Immigration has the power to deport you for any reason/whim.  and they do it.  especially if you have been drinking or have a smart-mouth.  They have been kind to me when I have been late.

Thank you for the info. That is very good to know - maybe just common sense, but still important to be aware of the potential for deportation. We will be sure to do t his in a timely fashion. Can you show up early, like after 25 days, and still get a stamp?

You can show up early but you will lose days.  The visa is extended 30 days from the day you go to Immigration.  BTW, if your 30 day date is on a Saturday, you must go on Friday.  If it is on Sunday, you may wait to go on Monday. Just FYI

Thanks! Great to know! We will keep that in mind. :top:

Immigration has been charging us $50 BZ for each renewal. They tell us that now from the 6 months on it is a $100BZ / month. We get to their offices early and are usually out within 15 minutes.

Great information, thanks. I imagine we will go as close to 30 days as possible, but if I lose a few days it's fine; 10-15 days out of a year is not much 'extra time' spent acquiring the requsite stamps, considering I am staying anyway.  :D

IF you go through the complicated and expensive process of getting a work permit, like my husband did, THEN there is a process whereby he filed a statement that he supports me, which cost $100.   They staple an addition in my passport and Now neither of us pays the monthly fee.   I do not know how long this lasts.  Next month I can go to apply for my permanent resident visa.   Others are telling me that they have turned in their papers as long as a year ago and have not heard back.  For married couples, the plan where one will do QRP and the other does not, seems to work well.   In the case of Karen & Joe, maybe Karen will be able to get a work permit & Joe can be the supported spouse.   Joe will never be able to get a permit for MD unless he uses a great deal of influence.

Yea, I am still trying to figure out how best to handle this situation of QRP. I have been in contact with the Tourism board and they say there is some legislation pending to rectify this permanent residency problem. I doubt it will be fixed anytime soon. I am not really interested in working for income in Medicine, so that is probably not a concern - only pro bono work for me in that regard. We are probably 2 years away from actually moving, so I hope there will be some easier solution by then. I will check into it more this week when we are there. Thanks.

[Moderated: off topic + start a new thread on the Central America Forum pls]