Haggle Over Rent?

I am not overly familiar with the customs in regards to renting an apartment or home in Mexico. In general terms, is the amount the landlord is asking for firm or are they expecting you to haggle with them and eventually agree upon a monthly rent to pay?

Please excuse my ignorance but I know when it comes to things like this sometimes the process differs from country to country.

Halfwaytree wrote:

I am not overly familiar with the customs in regards to renting an apartment or home in Mexico. In general terms, is the amount the landlord is asking for firm or are they expecting you to haggle with them and eventually agree upon a monthly rent to pay?

Please excuse my ignorance but I know when it comes to things like this sometimes the process differs from country to country.

So halfway,

My experience is that they sort of expect the stated rent cost, but are not surprised if you make a counteroffer. They will engage in a back and forth to some extent, but don't think its a common expected process. It can happen, but may not. It usually comes down to what you pay for and what they agree to cover.   In my case, they had a fixed price, where the wiggle room came in was what I would pay for. At this point, they cover trash and city water and all repairs not related to my use. I pay the electric bill,

Be careful and very clear about what you cover in detail. I talked to one expat who thought he was paying for only his electric bill and it turned out he was paying the electric bill of everyone in the apartment building. That's where a contract can protect you both. The biggest risk for that sort of thing is an apartment.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!

Hi "Halfwaytree", my experience in my area, owners have a rate for monthly rentals because lots of Mexicans come for short period to work or is higher because it's for snowbirds (less than 6 months)  so negotiating is possible if for year-round rentals.

As "travellight" said, be aware of what you pay especially the electricity (mine is included in the rent because no specific meter to my apartment.
In my area, a clear contract is usually written on the standard rental/lease form (arrendamiento) in Spanish which includes the "codigo civil" articles to ensure protection of both parties.

Also, if you are happy with the amount and what is provided then you're in business.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

Thanks for that mexicogc. Good to know!

As a Mexican and as a landlord myself, I can tell you that we generally have two different rental rates in mind. One is for a Mexican renter and the other is for an expat American; I will always accept a lower rent from an expat American. So my advice is be sure to push  on the landlord and see if you can get it for less. There's one notable exception to this rule: some of this will depend on where you plan to live. In Mexico City and, to a lesser degree, Guadalajara landlords often ask for a guarantor. Most expats will arrive here without one, unless they'e come here at the direction of an employer, so expats will often be asked for a larger deposit. Being willing to pay, for example, two months rent as a security deposit will often result in lower monthly rental rate. Good luck and enjoy your time here.

Thanks for your valuable information christiannavarette. I will keep what you said with me on my search for a place to live.

In San Miguel de Allende  there  is  no haggling over rent.  However  if  you  do not  speak  Spanish  there  is  a  price  for  "tourists"  and  there  is  a price  for  "Spanish speaking".  I  relocated  to San Miguel de Allende  from New York  City  over a year and a half ago.  Since then  I  have  refreshed  my Spanish skills  since I  am  Puerto Rican  but have spoken English all of my life.  I  have  learned in the first few months that renting can be tricky with many landlords who just like the tienditas, will  take advantage of non  Spanish speakers.  You can pay more for chicken  if you ask in English  while I can pay much lower if I ask in Spanish.  Renting  is  the same situation with many landlords.  I  was  offered an apartment for $400.00 US (8000  pesos)   but when  I  objected in Spanish,  the landlord lowered the rent to $300.00  (7000 pesos).  Haggling  for produce  is much easier then it is to haggle for rent. I  hope this helps to answer your question.  Please consider learning Spanish as it will  make  your life so much easier in Mexico.

Thanks Kolobog58. You make a good point which I will carry with me. I need to learn and become as proficient in Spanish as possible.

I'm a little like you. My mother was Cuban but I spoke English all my life so Spanish does not come natural to me.