Health insurance with pre-existing conditions

As Seguro popular isnt a solution anymore for those with stable pre-existing conditions, what would be other options? Is there private insurance in Mexico possible? Private agreement with local hospital? is it possible to contract insurance in the country that will cover except our pre existing condition?

We need to understand the basics of communication here.  No disrespect at all to anyone here, but sometimes folks simply don't finish the whole sentence or the whole thought or they simply only listen to the first half of a sentence or a thought.  Gotta be careful.  Too much on the line here boss.  We want to check into the following - I mean think about this - Seguro Popular was set up to make health insurance available for those who could not afford private insurance in Mexico.  So the new Seguro Poplular is going to be set up so no living person who has a pre-existing condition can ever get health insurance?  Really?  So now for insurance in Mexico only maybe at best 5% of the people in the country will be eligible and 95% of those elgible will be under 40?  And everyone else?  They get left by the side of the road to die?  Really?  This from a new left-leaning populist progressive president who claims the creation of a new dawn in the age of Mexico.  Right.  That makes sense.  Not.

I'm not gonna say this isn't true, but we damn sure better make certain we've completed these thoughts before we listen to our fears.  I'm no expert here at all, but it certainly makes more sense to say the following - "we won't cover those pre-existing conditions, but we will cover these other issues over here that have nothing to do with those pre-existing conditions" or "we won't cover this pre-existing condition for a period of two years and then we'll re-consider it"  or "we will cover this pre-existing condition, but your premium will be higher."  Those kinds of comments make sense.  Anything else is nothing but Chicken Little and Donald Trump having a chat over a dinner of baked crow.

Repeating here - I'm not an insurance person.  I'm just a person trying to make sense of this nonsense.  The only solution is to actually hear from a source who is directly involved in creating and providing this new insurance.  Anything else - ANYTHING else is nothing but personal opinion and conjecture and presumption and "fake news". 

Are there any actual bonafide died in the wool experts out there who aren't throwing around random personal opinions like I'm doing right now?

Well, Walter,

I carefully read through what you said and found some of it confusing. But thought perhaps this might help you. https://www.mexperience.com/lifestyle/h … -services/

I wouldn't offer a current opinion because it's unclear what changes the new president will be making, and I would be a fool to offer an opinion on a topic that is in transition and may change.

Currently, every city is competing in the beautiful category. The president likes bougainvillea so it's being planted just about everywhere. I heard that, read that, and know it is so because I see it happening. If I read or hear about health changes I will let you know.

As for opinions, that is what a forum is about questions, opinions, and then actual experience and facts.

pigir60 wrote:

As Seguro popular isnt a solution anymore for those with stable pre-existing conditions, what would be other options? Is there private insurance in Mexico possible? Private agreement with local hospital? is it possible to contract insurance in the country that will cover except our pre existing condition?

I think you are alluding to the common Epat rumor that legal foreign
Residents will not be allowed to use Mexican Socialized Medicine soon. To actually legally exclude legal immigrants from joining the Seguro Popular or IMSS the Mexican Federal Government will have to repeal and replace several now valid laws in 3 federal secretarias. The SEGOB INM 2011 immigration law giving legal residents the right to be affiliated with socialized medicine in Mexico among other rights. The Secretaria de Salud law giving all citizens and legal immigrants with valid residence the right to socialized medicine in Mexico and their anti-discrimination law.  The Seguro Popular law and rules written in accordance with the other 2 laws in the SEGOB INM  immigration law and the Secretaria de Salud law. If they have repealed and replaced all of these then the Seguro Poular can legally exclude legal residents from joining. If not they are breaking several Mexican Government federal laws by discriminating unjustly towards legal residents of Mexico. The new government's National Health Plan can't be brought out until June. There is a 6 month waiting period from when a new government takes over in the Mexican Constitution to change any Mexican institution. It is complicated and will take time until they can actually institute their restructuring of the Seguro Popular.
It might change drastically or there might be a minimum of change as both IMSS and Seguro Popular are financialy healthy and serving about 109 million members.

This is good information.  It does appear to be complicated.  Sometimes when you read what's out there, you get a huge amount of mixed messages, but this makes it obvious that it's not as cut and dried as is being presented.  Thank you.

And I agree that forums like this are for opinions. But it becomes potentially dangerous when those opinions get presented as facts and mistakenly interpreted as fact.  A risk in all social media.  "Buyer Beware".

Clearly what we're reading about Seguro Popular isn't as simple as it's being presented.  That should cause every individual to be careful in moving forward on insurance issues.

WalterHodges wrote:

This is good information.  It does appear to be complicated.  Sometimes when you read what's out there, you get a huge amount of mixed messages, but this makes it obvious that it's not as cut and dried as is being presented.  Thank you.

And I agree that forums like this are for opinions. But it becomes potentially dangerous when those opinions get presented as facts and mistakenly interpreted as fact.  A risk in all social media.  "Buyer Beware".

Clearly what we're reading about Seguro Popular isn't as simple as it's being presented.  That should cause every individual to be careful in moving forward on insurance issues.

You are welcome Walter,

In time you will see that things are not a  chaotic mess on the forum. The forum is managed and people with experience review the posts. There is a management team, an expert team, and advisors.

Buena Suerte :)

My point (or my wish) was only To get information for me and others who have pre-existing conditions and are planning a permanent move to Mexico. And from what i can read there will be changes. In fact, Imss does not cover pre exiting  and seguro popular was...until now.

Dear Pigir60,

I am a bilingual health insurance advisor and can offer you some quick advise.

The only way you to find out how your current pre-existing condition might be covered by private health insurance is by speaking to someone like myself with years of experience working directly with private health insurance underwriters (plans for individuals living in Mexico).

I also want to add that i appreciate all of the comments made so far.

I agree with Travellight that it is too early to predict what specific changes will be made to the Seguro Popular & IMSS public health plans.

It is apparent that López Obrador is attempting to make some drastic changes to the public health programs (IMSS, Seguro Popular, ISSSTE). 

I would recommend that English-speaking readers access information directly from Mexican news sources & official Mexican public health websites to avoid any potential misunderstandings.

Finally, if you or anyone reading this post want more information on pre-existing conditions, please feel free to send me a private message.

Peace,
Melanie

My sister is being treated for a recently diagnosis of breast cancer. Her husband has been recently diagnosed with Alzheimers. Is there hope for a move to Mexico for a less expensive alternative that allows for a better life?

Melanie_In_Mexico wrote:

Dear Pigir60,

I am a bilingual health insurance advisor and can offer you some quick advise.

The only way you to find out how your current pre-existing condition might be covered by private health insurance is by speaking to someone like myself with years of experience working directly with private health insurance underwriters (plans for individuals living in Mexico).

I also want to add that i appreciate all of the comments made so far.

I agree with Travellight that it is too early to predict what specific changes will be made to the Seguro Popular & IMSS public health plans.

It is apparent that López Obrador is attempting to make some drastic changes to the public health programs (IMSS, Seguro Popular, ISSSTE). 

I would recommend that English-speaking readers access information directly from Mexican news sources & official Mexican public health websites to avoid any potential misunderstandings.

Finally, if you or anyone reading this post want more information on pre-existing conditions, please feel free to send me a private message.

Peace,
Melanie

https://translate.googleusercontent.com … E.whatsapp

The original sin of INSABI is not to understand that services and medications must be financed in some way. The institution has eliminated insurance charges and expanded the number of beneficiaries, without identifying additional sources of income. That is why it is cutting services.

Denmark [25 percent IVA  tax], which the president uses as an example, finances 84 percent of his medical expenses with taxes and the rest with private insurance. The system is good, but far from being free it is very expensive: 10.4 percent of gross domestic product. If Mexico has a GDP of 24 billion current pesos (INEGI), a system like Denmark's would cost around 2.5 billion pesos annually. How close are we? The Secretary of Health will have a programmable budget of 128,600 million pesos in 2020, 20 times lower."

INSABI replaced the Seguro Popular Jan. 1st. and is a complete failure.

Someone would have to honestly evaluate where the money is coming from and how it is being spent.
Just today I saw in the Mexican news that a sub-director has been running a major scam using the PEMEX company he is a director for. He apparently redirected money into fake accounts. That answers the question about where some of the money has been going to.
Meanwhile, a friend says a member of his family who has scheduled surgery is being told she will have to pay for that surgery. The cost will be far less than in the U.S. but she has Seguro popular and had previously been told it was covered. So from no cost to 7 or 8 hundred pesos is a shock.

Ultimately, if no new funding sources are announced, INSABI like Seguro Popular, will experience shortages of medications, qualified medical professionals, and deficiencies in care.

Expats should not expect INSABI to be a better solution unless and until & unless this happens.