Farewell Andy Passenger

I noticed that Andy's username has changed to "GuestPoster0147".

I'm disappointed to see him gone.

Andy and I didn't always agree with each other, but he offered his own point of view which was (based on comments) helpful to a number of folks.

From what he wrote, he is dedicated to his family here in Vietnam, and I wish him and them a great future together.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTCLPNOr9l9xExrGbZYPTxmQsKPT6TRJ9zz7LWvDvaqLqgnaqJw

For a second I thought he passed away!

Reincarnated  :lol:

I expect this stems from his posting #32 on https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 00#4533829   His reply to luna2000 was somewhat caustic but didn't seem worthy of banishment.  I don't see any notice from moderators.  Or did he simply self withdraw as indicted by his comment  "Time for me to go"?

THIGV wrote:

Or did he simply self withdraw as indicted by his comment  "Time for me to go"?

That's the way I read it. 

His last line "So I don't need a forum where I have to read annoying comments every day in addition." seems to make it clear that his exile is self-inflicted.

Andy's new identity came about by choice, not enforced.  He's definitely tired of some elements of the forum but probably doesn't want to leave it completely.  Having a generic name should give him the freedom from being judged on his origin (why would that matter anyway?), social view, and more than that, his personal feelings about Vietnam (*some* of which I happened to share.)

A group of strangers on a public forum are expected to disagree with one another often, but after interacting with each other regularly for a long period of time on the same issues over and over, we usually know each other's characters and most of us learn to accept one another's view and opinions.  Some of the regulars do not, however.  Then the new posters who are not familiar with the forum's atmosphere often react quickly and strongly to something with which they disagree.  Luna's post, which was on the mild side comparing to many others before her, was perhaps enough to justify Andy's exit.

I won't miss Andy because he's still here and I can still "hear" him.  I just have to remember the numeric part of his generic name, as I've been trying to do the same with Vagabondone's.

Ciambella wrote:

Andy's new identity came about by choice, not enforced.  He's definitely tired of some elements of the forum but probably doesn't want to leave it completely..

That profile has been deleted and he is unable to post under that name. He can still read posts, but can't participate unless he rejoins.
Assuming it was his choice (I don't know as I wasn't part of the process), he would be free to rejoin either with the same name, or a new one.

Thanks, Fred.

He is ALIVE!

Welcome back, Andy!

:D

I see I have no place here as well.
So I will say bye now.
The board has removed one more link in the circle jerk.

Jim-Minh wrote:

So I will say bye now.

"How dare you!"  ;) 

Just caught up on thread about energy etc. Good stuff. Stay please. Don't let Greta win.

Jim-Minh wrote:

So I will say bye now.

DO. NOT. LEAVE!

If you do, it'll cost me a ticket to Đà Lạt to twist your arm and make you come back.  At the moment, I need to put every dollar towards our next trips, I can't afford a flight to anywhere else.

Leave in 2 or 3 years if you must, after I've achieved my dream trips.   :joking:

All kidding aside, the Vietnam forums are, for some strange reason, being invaded by negative sayers and hot air exhalers; the scale will be off if the regular members who possess keen intelligence,  logical mind, and calm demeanor start to leave. 

How are we gonna lead a good life with the scale tipped to one side?

Jim-Minh wrote:

So I will say bye now.

Back in line!

😁

gobot wrote:
Jim-Minh wrote:

So I will say bye now.

"How dare you!"  ;) 

Just caught up on thread about energy etc. Good stuff. Stay please. Don't let Greta win.

OMG!

Greta has helped me see the light!

No more flying around the world for me.

Next trip from Saigon to San Francisco I'll just hitch a ride on a yacht...

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

He is ALIVE!

Welcome back, Andy!

I knew him personally, but haven't heard from him last six months. Don't know he is still in Saigon.

Contem talk wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

He is ALIVE!

Welcome back, Andy!

I knew him personally, but haven't heard from him last six months. Don't know he is still in Saigon.

Not sure exactly where he is, but he's posting here again under a different username.

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Please post in a respectful manner
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Perhaps it would be nice if we could skip insults and having a go at people because of their nationality.

Fred wrote:

Perhaps it would be nice if we could skip insults and having a go at people because of their nationality.

Why is Maverick insulting you Fred?

(I didn't get to see his post!)

Not me being insulted

Fred wrote:

Not me being insulted

Oh...

:sosad:

Unusual, but true :D

I can't count the number of times a member has suggested my mummy and daddy weren't married or I followed Oedipus in his choice of lovers. It would get me down if I cared.

Fred wrote:

Unusual, but true :D

I can't count the number of times a member has suggested my mummy and daddy weren't married or I followed Oedipus in his choice of lovers. I would get me down if I cared.

At least they haven't accused you of wanting to inhale a rooster...

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Fred wrote:

I'm sure you've read this post.
This forum is all you've got.

@Fred
Democratic is different.
Others have already shot far below the belt line.
But in keeping with today's politics, democracy and freedom of the press are increasingly being undermined.

But it's all right.
This forum is good for a little entertainment, no more.

AkaMaverick wrote:

I'm not surprised.
If it hadn't been about a specific nation (not mentioned in my post), nothing would have happened.

Keep up the good work.
Then the few permanent posters can entertain themselves and favor themselves in with "likes".

AkaMaverick wrote:
AkaMaverick wrote:

I'm not surprised.
If it hadn't been about a specific nation (not mentioned in my post), nothing would have happened.

Keep up the good work.
Then the few permanent posters can entertain themselves and favor themselves in with "likes".

I remove posts with insults directed at any person of any nationality regardless of my own opinions concerning the countries or people insulted.

Reason : Please don't quote and respond to silly comments

Reason : Please don't quote and respond to silly comments
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
AkaMaverick wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

@Fred
Democratic is different.
But in keeping with today's politics, democracy and freedom of the press are increasingly being undermined.

But it's all right.

I don't understand why you decided to get involved in this thread using insults.

In another thread you posted to me that you are not Andy, and that you would "REPORT"me if I called you Andy again.

This is a thread I initiated because I wanted to show some respect to that Andy guy, because I thought he deserved it, even if he did tend to be a little overdramatic.

He could learn a thing or two from you...

Why do you always give me likes when you don't like my posts?
Does this increase your post number counter?

And what have I got to do with your Andy?

And again a post is deleted from me where I just wanted to defend myself.

That moderators can delete posts for personal reasons is really frightening.
I am sure that this Cambiella is behind it. Really pathetic.

Where the heck can I get pop corns in Rach Gia???

WillyBaldy wrote:

Where the heck can I get pop corns in Rach Gia???

I just ordered a six-pack of beer and and a litre of KY....Im so damn excited.

AkaMaverick wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
AkaMaverick wrote:

@Fred
Democratic is different.

But it's all right.

I don't understand why you decided to get involved in this thread using insults.

In another thread you posted to me that you are not Andy, and that you would "REPORT"me if I called you Andy again.

This is a thread I initiated because I wanted to show some respect to that Andy guy, because I thought he deserved it, even if he did tend to be a little overdramatic.

He could learn a thing or two from you...

Why do you always give me likes when you don't like my posts?
Does this increase your post number counter?

And what have I got to do with your Andy?

I give likes to your posts because they are entertaining to me.

Also because you cry about other people getting likes and you don't get them.

Or at least, Andy used to complain about that

AkaMaverick wrote:

Wait.

How could you be defending yourself unless you are Andy?

We were only talking about Andy, not about you.

Look back before you posted the insult that was deleted.

No one mentioned you by name.

Give it up Andy...

Maybe it would be better to delete this thread completely.
It is a prime example of arrogance, inequality and lack of freedom of expression.

AkaMaverick wrote:

It is a prime example of arrogance, inequality and lack of freedom of expression.

Hey you just described Justin Trudeau, and he just darn got re-elected in Canada!

AkaMaverick wrote:

You want to have your own personal tribute thread deleted?

I'm the OP and it's okay with me.

ADMIN, it's up to you.

If AkaMaverick is arrogant enough to want to limit my freedom of expression, I give in.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
AkaMaverick wrote:

Wait.

How could you be defending yourself unless you are Andy?

We were only talking about Andy, not about you.

Look back before you posted the insult that was deleted.

No one mentioned you by name.

Give it up Andy...

You're talking in riddles.
I wanted to justify what I wrote about Cambiella's arrogance in my mail that was deleted.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Also because you cry about other people getting likes and you don't get them.

Keep dreaming.

Unlike you, I don't care about Likes.
I don't even have Facebook, Twitter, etc..

WillyBaldy wrote:

Hey you just described Justin Trudeau, and he just darn got re-elected in Canada!

Trudeau, the only good thing in North America.

Closed