MM2H: To use an agent or not?

Gravitas wrote:

Mm2h qualification is a big beauty parade.
That is where Agents are very helpful and worth engaging if borderline. They guide the application.
Own applicants should certainly explain their overall wealth in their motivation letter.

Though it is fine to get a legal consultation, I prefer no middle men in anything.
1) It drives cost.
2) It introduces another party accessing your private information.

Here is what can go wrong with the agents-

Agents require you to send them electronic copies of your documents.
- Some people just attach documents to their emails. VERY BAD IDEA!
- Some people do this a little better- they send a link leading to their documents which they store in a cloud storage. As soon as your agent downloads your documents to his/her computer, you can delete the documents from this link. In case that email accounts are hacked, a hacker can't get to your documents via a link. This is a better way.

But if your agent  downloads your documents to his phone or his computer, there is nothing you can do to protect your private data. His computer or mobile phone might be hacked. Or he may email your documents afterwards in an attachment to somewhere. The moment you start sending out your electronic documents, your privacy is at risk.

This is why it is better not to have a middle men if it is possible. If filing to MM2H on your own, your documents are mailed with a courier directly to MM2H office. Then, you can be worried only that  a government office can be hacked.

In order to protect yourself a little more, it is wise to plan submission of your documents at least 6 months ahead and create a separate bank account where you put only the amount needed to be shown for a programme. Then, you can close this account.

Just heard from someone they have now received their Approval via their Agent after the suspension of the programme

They don't have to wait for the Approval Letter to be sent to their address which they used in the application. It's sent locally to the Agent. So they are coming next week to finalise. The Approval Letter can take several weeks to arrive after approval is given.

In some cases they don't even need to go to Putrajaya for visa stamping or run around getting Bond form stamped at LHDN office because the agent sends the passport and no personal bond is required when using an Agent (save money on all that plus limited number of appointments are available at immigration each day).

Still need to open account to wire their funds for the FD and get a medical. Plus get a medical card if insuring through a Malaysian company.

I did my own so have been through the process.

As mentioned before, it is possible to get an agent to assist with things like transfer of visa to new passport or renewal. Also with FD withdrawal. Even if an agent was not used for the initial application.

Some agents guarantee getting the mm2h visa because they know what applications will or will not succeed. This avoids pointless applications and expenses (true copy etc.)

As with all consumer services people see different levels of value in them.

As I stated before "it is fine to get a legal consultation" and pay per consultation or per hour.
I like that MM2H gives an option to apply by yourself.
Also MM2H support is prompt and good in case you have any questions.
Whatever steps you listed above are not that difficult to do on your own.
Waiting for the approval letter? You can just check the status on-line once a week and then schedule a trip to KL.
Need to open an account? Research the best bank for your needs and open an account.
Putrajaya where the offices are is a very beautiful place and it is fun to visit anyway.

If you convince yourself with a full research of a process that a middle men saves a lot of time and pain, then it is worth to pay extra. But still I would shop for the best price and offer. There are so many MM2H agents...

If you get to do your Mm2h come back to the forum with your concrete experiences.

Everything you mention is just theoretical at this point in time.